A Violation of Human Rights Re: Forcing A Deaf Child to Wear CI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wirelessly posted

shel90 said:
Out of curiosity, did you guys talk about a specific school that you guys wish you have gone to instead?

No..just that we wished we had ASL and were involved with the Deaf community instead of just hearing people only. The topic of which school we wanted to attend never came up.

However, I have begged my mom to send me to Phoenix Day School for the Deaf when I was in middle school and the answer was no.

have you asked your parents why not?

No..just that we wished we had ASL and were involved with the Deaf community instead of just hearing people only. The topic of which school we wanted to attend never came up.

However, I have begged my mom to send me to Phoenix Day School for the Deaf when I was in middle school and the answer was no.

Was that school close to where you were living?

Was that school close to where you were living?

Yeah, Ive been to PDSD. It's not anywhere remote. It's pretty much a few miles northwest of Sky Harbor. Its right in the middle of the metropolitan.

If Shel lived in phoenix at the time, it would probably not be anymore than 10 miles away.

Yeah, Ive been to PDSD. It's not anywhere remote. It's pretty much a few miles northwest of Sky Harbor. Its right in the middle of the metropolitan.

If Shel lived in phoenix at the time, it would probably not be anymore than 10 miles away.

That is too bad. From your observations, were you happy with how that school ran?

That is too bad. From your observations, were you happy with how that school ran?

Like any other deaf schools i've been to... It was decent. The thing they had different going for them is the fact they are a day school, not a dormitory. It was like your regular school for the deaf. Their sports program was real good at the time I was there. They beat a lot of schools in Academic Bowl... So it was decent.

But I honestly can see people shying away from PDSD. The first night I was there - I had to go into building because like 10 police helicopters were up in the sky chasing down a dude who killed a cop. The buildings could use some more grace. It's just concrete. Everything on the exterior looks gray. And we all know people go by appearance way too much.

ASDB - Tucson, a whole different story - all the buildings on campus looks nice.

Correct..it was about 5 to 7 miles from my house.

Like any other deaf schools i've been to... It was decent. The thing they had different going for them is the fact they are a day school, not a dormitory. It was like your regular school for the deaf. Their sports program was real good at the time I was there. They beat a lot of schools in Academic Bowl... So it was decent.

But I honestly can see people shying away from PDSD. The first night I was there - I had to go into building because like 10 police helicopters were up in the sky chasing down a dude who killed a cop. The buildings could use some more grace. It's just concrete. Everything on the exterior looks gray. And we all know people go by appearance way too much.

ASDB - Tucson, a whole different story - all the buildings on campus looks nice.

They just totally revamped the buildings in the school. I have many friends who graduated from PDSD and are working at jobs except for one or two due to drugs.

They just totally revamped the buildings in the school. I have many friends who graduated from PDSD and are working at jobs except for one or two due to drugs.

Thats good to know. It was pretty depressing.

edit: I just street viewed it.. looks better.

I read somewhere that he made deaf marry hearing because he believed that deaf children wouldn't materialise out of the union.

Well, would be nice to see the charges be brought forth and make it stick, if he was alive.

He even took it a bit farther than that. Because of his inadequate understanding of genetics (the whole basis of his eugenics theory) he wanted a law passed that no 2 deaf could marry each other to prevent a deaf child being born of the union.

Wirelessly posted

nope, meant except.

You keep saying "written english" and she said she meant spoken english.

"i'm right and here's why..." "ok, except the fact that you are wrong"

who has the reading issue?

You are not right about anything, much less your views and opinions on deafness.:roll:

DD, I think the CASE Collaborative does what you describe, by bringing together regional deaf & HOH students into one public school and addressing their needs together. One pretty big issue: it's not an ASL program.

The CASE collaborative is one of the self contained programs. They are better than full mainstreaming, but still leave a lot to be desired. Few, if any, have fluent models for ASL. They usually end up being a TC environment with very shoddy use of sign by hearing TODs. In the worst programs, you don't even get a TOD...just a special ed teacher with no education or experience whatsoever in deaf ed.

Faire joure actually i(mastery of English whether written or spoken)t can vary tremedously from oral kid to oral kid.Granted the severe or profound or even moderately severe spoken language delays that were common in years past, are unusual now. But a lot of oral kids still have issues with English whether written or spoken.
I wasn't asked which school I wish I'd gone to, but I will jump in anyway. I wish I'd gone to a mainstream school with a strong sizable established Dhh program.That would have been SO perfect in so many ways. I would have gotten the advantage of challenging reading classes and language arts. Unlike a lot of Dhh kids reading and language arts was always my forte. I would have gotten time in the Resource Room for math, spelling and handwriting. But at the same time,, I would have been able to deal with teachers and admins who were trained how to teach dhh kids. Instead I was given minimal accomondations, and then when I didn't suceed with those, I was lumped in with the "warehoused" kids whose only problem was that they were completely apatheitc towards learning (and I am NOT talking about kids with intellectucal disabilties or the kids who were dealing with severe behavorial issues) I don't think anyone here is "Mainstream school sucks, all dhh kids should go to Deaf School."
We're just objecting to the kneejerk "mainstream solotaire" placement, as the Ideal Placement for ALL dhh kids. Too many times, kids are lumped in and not served well in that type of placement!

She seems to continually miss the fact that just because a child can speak does not mean that they have fluent use of the language, and just because English is the only language they have, does not mean they can use that language as a native would. This is where the delays in language acquisition show up, and are carried over to cognitive issues as the child gets older (ie less of an ability to use fluid thought and creative use of language, for instance).

For all of us, that path was chosen which is unfortunate.

Exactly. Had you been allowed to choose, your environment would have been much different. That is what you, and all the oral deaf I have ever worked with tell me. I have seen a couple that insist they would not have changed their oral environment, but that is because they have never had the opportunity to experience anything else, and because they still hold onto the view that they are superior to the non-oral deaf.

I've the same question as daredevel, Shel.

I don't mean to answer for Shel, and she knows she can correct me if I mistate anything, but I'd say that she, and most of the others here that were mainstreamed, would have chosen pretty much the same environment you have...a Bi-Bi school environment with a family that was willing to adapt to their needs by using ASL for communication at home.

Unfortunately, most deaf schools are located in Metropolitan areas, and because of tax issues and property cost, most are in the more shady parts of town. My son's school wasn't in the best of areas, either.

Hmmm, I guess this person whom I shall not name, lol, doesn't realize that there is/can be life after ignorance. :D

Hmmm, I guess this person whom I shall not name, lol, doesn't realize that there is/can be life after ignorance. :D

Yes, such fear of saying, "Dang! I didn't know that!"

Wirelessly posted

jillio said:
Faire joure actually i(mastery of English whether written or spoken)t can vary tremedously from oral kid to oral kid.Granted the severe or profound or even moderately severe spoken language delays that were common in years past, are unusual now. But a lot of oral kids still have issues with English whether written or spoken.
I wasn't asked which school I wish I'd gone to, but I will jump in anyway. I wish I'd gone to a mainstream school with a strong sizable established Dhh program.That would have been SO perfect in so many ways. I would have gotten the advantage of challenging reading classes and language arts. Unlike a lot of Dhh kids reading and language arts was always my forte. I would have gotten time in the Resource Room for math, spelling and handwriting. But at the same time,, I would have been able to deal with teachers and admins who were trained how to teach dhh kids. Instead I was given minimal accomondations, and then when I didn't suceed with those, I was lumped in with the "warehoused" kids whose only problem was that they were completely apatheitc towards learning (and I am NOT talking about kids with intellectucal disabilties or the kids who were dealing with severe behavorial issues) I don't think anyone here is "Mainstream school sucks, all dhh kids should go to Deaf School."
We're just objecting to the kneejerk "mainstream solotaire" placement, as the Ideal Placement for ALL dhh kids. Too many times, kids are lumped in and not served well in that type of placement!

She seems to continually miss the fact that just because a child can speak does not mean that they have fluent use of the language, and just because English is the only language they have, does not mean they can use that language as a native would. This is where the delays in language acquisition show up, and are carried over to cognitive issues as the child gets older (ie less of an ability to use fluid thought and creative use of language, for instance).

haven't missed it at all. In fact, that is why i use a different term for the ability to speak (speech) and fluent spoken language. I completely understand that.

and DD, what you are missing is that I have NEVER advocated for mainstreaming! Not for a single second. You keep complaing about "resource rooms" and "solo mainstreaming"...and it is aimed at the wrong person. I don't know how to be clearer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back