A Violation of Human Rights Re: Forcing A Deaf Child to Wear CI

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess I'm the exception that tests the rule. :)

Of course I'm a rarity in the fact that I had some knowledge of sign language and Deaf culture before my son was born.

Wow, that is very rare! Not counting CODA having Deaf kids.

You are not right about anything, much less your views and opinions on deafness.:roll:
You know for someone who's supposedly an expert on human behavior you seem to argue and bicker alot...:hmm:

I guess I'm the exception that tests the rule. :)

Of course I'm a rarity in the fact that I had some knowledge of sign language and Deaf culture before my son was born.
And sorry to hear of the difficulty that your son couldn't even lipread or understand the waiter simply saying "What would you like to drink?" as you stated in another thread. What will your son do when he gets older and won't have you around to interpret for him?

And sorry to hear of the difficulty that your son couldn't even lipread or understand the waiter simply saying "What would you like to drink?" as you stated in another thread. What will your son do when he gets older and won't have you around to interpret for him?

=( sorry you have to think that way. I have other wordings I would use for you but I dont want to get banned.

Learn the language...ASL and you wont have any difficulties. Why is English the superior and only language left to be desired?

Don't be an insensitive asshole, okay?

DD, I think the CASE Collaborative does what you describe, by bringing together regional deaf & HOH students into one public school and addressing their needs together. One pretty big issue: it's not an ASL program.
There is also the READS collabrative, which is where dhh kids from my area attend, and where I would have attended if my parents had been aware that hoh kids were accepted in Deaf Ed. I know two voice off Deaf girls (both from hearing families) who went there for elementary. I also think a good option is a magnet school, for dhh students. One of my friends sends her hoh daughter to a program like that.
What will your son do when he gets older and won't have you around to interpret for him?
Ummm Hohtopics, most Deaf people still have oral abilty....He could ask his friends with oral skils...he doesn't have to be dependent on his parents.
and DD, what you are missing is that I have NEVER advocated for mainstreaming! Not for a single second. You keep complaing about "resource rooms" and "solo mainstreaming"...and it is aimed at the wrong person. I don't know how to be clearer.
Yes, but in our country, oralism and solotaire mainstreaming go hand in hand. The hope of oral programs is to MAINSTREAM the kid, and get them into hearing classrooms. Unfortunatly much of the time the dhh kid gets dumped in the resource room or minimal accomondations and doesn't do as well as is hoped. Especially as time goes on. It's very common for kids to do well early on, and then they hit that fourth grade glass ceiling.
They are better than full mainstreaming, but still leave a lot to be desired. Few, if any, have fluent models for ASL. They usually end up being a TC environment with very shoddy use of sign by hearing TODs. In the worst programs, you don't even get a TOD...just a special ed teacher with no education or experience whatsoever in deaf ed.
Oh yeah true! VERY true! But if things are set up well, I do think that those programs can be SO much better then solotaire mainstreaming.
She seems to continually miss the fact that just because a child can speak does not mean that they have fluent use of the language, and just because English is the only language they have, does not mean they can use that language as a native would. This is where the delays in language acquisition show up, and are carried over to cognitive issues as the child gets older (ie less of an ability to use fluid thought and creative use of language, for instance).
YES!!!!! AMEN!!!!!! Not to mention the severe social issues (pragmatic use of language) that many many oral kids deal with.

Wirelessly posted

still don't advocate for oral education. I advocate for parental support no matter what they choose as well as ASL and spoken language bilingualism for those who choose it. I believe that ASL would benefit all deaf kids, but it is not my choice to make, and i certainly don't know what will work for every family.

in fact, i think the most impprtant thing is having a plan and motivated parents. A parent who is super gung-ho about cued speech will end up with a child with better language and literacy than one who is forced to use ASL and does it half heartedly.

As a parent shouldn't you be arguing about whats best for the child....

Because, if I may say so, your father holds onto the audism belief system and the medical perspective.

Yes, he does. And given his medical training, how could he -not- hold on into the medical perspective?

Mod note:

Since this thread has taken a lot of heat, let's have a breathing room and take a break to cool down.

So with that, this thread is closed. :locked:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back