A Violation of Human Rights Re: Forcing A Deaf Child to Wear CI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wirelessly posted

haven't missed it at all. In fact, that is why i use a different term for the ability to speak (speech) and fluent spoken language. I completely understand that.

and DD, what you are missing is that I have NEVER advocated for mainstreaming! Not for a single second. You keep complaing about "resource rooms" and "solo mainstreaming"...and it is aimed at the wrong person. I don't know how to be clearer.

There was a time, not so long ago, that you didn't advocate for oral education for deaf kids, either. The CI changed all that.:cool2: It has become exactly what it becomes in the hands of most hearing parents: an excuse to put a deaf kid in a restrictive, oral environment. It is only a matter of time before you begin advocating for the mainstream, just as we saw that you would be making the switch to oralism long before you knew it yourself. It was predicted, and the predictions held true.

It was also predicted that after you chose implantation, you would soon, thereafter, be seeking the second implant. That prediction came true, as well. Shame that we can see what you are blind to.

Wirelessly posted

jillio said:
Wirelessly posted

nope, meant except.

You keep saying "written english" and she said she meant spoken english.

"i'm right and here's why..." "ok, except the fact that you are wrong"

who has the reading issue?

You are not right about anything, much less your views and opinions on deafness.:roll:

still waiting on that apology for twice misreading the posts and then claiming everyone else was wrong and insulting our ability to read and comprehend....

Wirelessly posted

still waiting on that apology for twice misreading the posts and then claiming everyone else was wrong and insulting our ability to read and comprehend....

You're going to be waiting for the rest of your life. I don't apologize for your misinterpretations and twists to make everything about you. You owe many on this forum many, many apologies that need to be made before you start demanding apologies from others.

Wirelessly posted

jillio said:
Wirelessly posted

haven't missed it at all. In fact, that is why i use a different term for the ability to speak (speech) and fluent spoken language. I completely understand that.

and DD, what you are missing is that I have NEVER advocated for mainstreaming! Not for a single second. You keep complaing about "resource rooms" and "solo mainstreaming"...and it is aimed at the wrong person. I don't know how to be clearer.

There was a time, not so long ago, that you didn't advocate for oral education for deaf kids, either. The CI changed all that.:cool2: It has become exactly what it becomes in the hands of most hearing parents: an excuse to put a deaf kid in a restrictive, oral environment. It is only a matter of time before you begin advocating for the mainstream, just as we saw that you would be making the switch to oralism long before you knew it yourself. It was predicted, and the predictions held true.

It was also predicted that after you chose implantation, you would soon, thereafter, be seeking the second implant. That prediction came true, as well. Shame that we can see what you are blind to.

still don't advocate for oral education. I advocate for parental support no matter what they choose as well as ASL and spoken language bilingualism for those who choose it. I believe that ASL would benefit all deaf kids, but it is not my choice to make, and i certainly don't know what will work for every family.

in fact, i think the most impprtant thing is having a plan and motivated parents. A parent who is super gung-ho about cued speech will end up with a child with better language and literacy than one who is forced to use ASL and does it half heartedly.

Wirelessly posted

still don't advocate for oral education. I advocate for parental support no matter what they choose as well as ASL and spoken language bilingualism for those who choose it. I believe that ASL would benefit all deaf kids, but it is not my choice to make, and i certainly don't know what will work for every family.

in fact, i think the most impprtant thing is having a plan and motivated parents. A parent who is super gung-ho about cued speech will end up with a child with better language and literacy than one who is forced to use ASL and does it half heartedly.

:laugh2: There is none so blind as he who will not see.:laugh2:

I don't mean to answer for Shel, and she knows she can correct me if I mistate anything, but I'd say that she, and most of the others here that were mainstreamed, would have chosen pretty much the same environment you have...a Bi-Bi school environment with a family that was willing to adapt to their needs by using ASL for communication at home.

Very true. I was an Air Force brat and we moved many times. I can understand it limits choices, but Lord, I am still dealing with the aftermath.

Unfortunately, most deaf schools are located in Metropolitan areas, and because of tax issues and property cost, most are in the more shady parts of town. My son's school wasn't in the best of areas, either.

Actually, the area PDSD is a decent middle-class area. Nice homes around the school.

Actually, the area PDSD is a decent middle-class area. Nice homes around the school.

That is good to know. My son's school was in a fairly middle class area with a couple of large manufacturer's near by. Not the greatest section, but not the worst, either.

Unfortunately, most deaf schools are located in Metropolitan areas, and because of tax issues and property cost, most are in the more shady parts of town. My son's school wasn't in the best of areas, either.

:mad: I know. The oral school that I went to was in one of the worst neighborhoods in Richmond at the time.

:mad: I know. The oral school that I went to was in one of the worst neighborhoods in Richmond at the time.

On the other hand, VSDB in Stanuton was in a historic and middle class section of school. :hmm:

The Learning Center in Framingham is in a beautiful neighborhood. I love that area so much.

The Learning Center in Framingham is in a beautiful neighborhood. I love that area so much.

Oh yes! it is. I have been there a several times back in 1992. Beautiful. I heard that there were expanding such as a new gym or something that I can't remember. Some staffs are so awesome!

Every hearing parent cannot deny that they wish/ed a one point or other, or even from time to time, that their dhh child could have hearing like them because they cannot fathom how it could be without being able to hear.
I guess I'm the exception that tests the rule. :)

Of course I'm a rarity in the fact that I had some knowledge of sign language and Deaf culture before my son was born.

Wirelessly posted

Frisky Feline said:

Oh yes! it is. I have been there a several times back in 1992. Beautiful. I heard that there were expanding such as a new gym or something that I can't remember. Some staffs are so awesome!

They've built a huge new early education building and library -- it's lovely! Jillio, visit my daughter there, be nice to her! ;)

Why are deaf people treated like stepchildren? The deaf center here is an old building in a bad neighborhood. I guess that we're lucky to have that. My city is always getting sued under ADA. It sends a very clear message. :thumbd:

I guess I'm the exception that tests the rule. :)

Of course I'm a rarity in the fact that I had some knowledge of sign language and Deaf culture before my son was born.

That would make a huge difference in your response toward your own child's deafness. Obviously, you had a positive experience, and therefore, were able to extrapolate that to your son's diagnosis.

Wirelessly posted

They've built a huge new early education building and library -- it's lovely! Jillio, visit my daughter there, be nice to her! ;)

I'm always nice to the kiddos! Get along well with them, as a matter of fact. May be due to my size (5', 95 lbs.). They think I am one of them.:lol:

I don't mean to answer for Shel, and she knows she can correct me if I mistate anything, but I'd say that she, and most of the others here that were mainstreamed, would have chosen pretty much the same environment you have...a Bi-Bi school environment with a family that was willing to adapt to their needs by using ASL for communication at home.

Yes :ty: or better still homeschooled using sign language at home environment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back