A Thread About Absolutely Nothing! Part III

A Chicago-style Hotdog napping on a couch. Neat photo.

20141029_142835_zps56cgdfte.jpg

That really is neat. I've not seen something like that before.

That really is neat. I've not seen something like that before.

Yeah, it is. Chicago has a lot of odd and neat stuff like that here and there.

Also, my apologies on the delay in answering; I'm trying to resolve an issue with my phone not allowing images to be seen. Either my phone is aging, or something isn't quite right, and for some reason Firefox won't allow me to upload them.

part of big lakes?

That's actually a part of Lake Michigan. There are several harbors along the lake. Wilmette is just one of them. There's also Montrose Harbor, Diveresy Harbor, and Belmont Harbor, which I've photographed before. I also know of Waukgean Harbor, but that one I've never been to, though, as that's in a different county.

part of big lakes?

Not sure who you are asking or what lake you're referring to, but in the US we have 5 Great Lakes. Superior, Ontario, Erie, Huron and Michigan. I live not too far from Lake Superior, Mark (CB2) lives off Lake Michigan.

Not sure who you are asking or what lake you're referring to, but in the US we have 5 Great Lakes. Superior, Ontario, Erie, Huron and Michigan. I live not too far from Lake Superior, Mark (CB2) lives off Lake Michigan.

Correct. Lake Michigan is less than a mile from where I'm at. It's nice to live near here, minus the brutal winds.

A couple more from last weekend:

20141026_125556_zpsfkrwtbw3.jpg

This one was taken in Skokie, IL, not far from Lincolnwood, IL.

This one was taken at Lawrence and Western Aves in Chicago:

20141026_122316_zpstwudiowh.jpg

I tried zooming in on the sign buy I still could not read it. I believe you , I just wanted to see if I could read it.

Not that one. It's another one there. There's also another piece of artwork there, too, but people were there, so I had to hold off on getting that one, but I hope to do that the next time it gets warm enough to bike outside.

After I hopped off the bus, I took a few photos.

The first one is of the CTA Brown Line at Irving Park. Note the position of the stoplights. To my knowledge, this is the only pedestrian intersection like this.

20141030_115434_zpssg0zkrvf.jpg

This next photo is of the Metra bridges. Note that the tan one is brand-new-- that one was put in last summer, and that is where the new 3rd track will be.

20141030_115522_zps5zccloh4.jpg

The bottom picture, what is that?

Edit. I get it now. The new track. My first thought it was under the bridge but it's not. Cool.

Edit. I get it now. The new track. My first thought it was under the bridge but it's not. Cool.

My understanding is that it is the under side of the bridge! But it is a different color because it is a new one put in to carry the new third track.

Yeah. Only three Metra lines have three tracks on their branches-- the Union Pacific Northwest Line, the BNSF line, and the Metra Electric Line, although the latter has four. As for those tracks above, they will not be extending into railroad crossings. They're only building them up here, and that's about it. The Northwest line and the BNSF do have all three tracks going through railroad crossings.

When I was in grade 3 (? Around that time period) I was taught an acronym to help remember the Great Lakes: 'HOMES'.
Huron
Ontario
Michigan
Eerie
Superior

*EDIT: I just realized how random that must seem, but I felt like sharing.
-Jason

My understanding is that it is the under side of the bridge! But it is a different color because it is a new one put in to carry the new third track.

Yes. They are starting to put it in now, and they're using concrete ties, not wooden ones. Can't say I'm surprised, given that the ties on my line are in terrible shape in some places.

When I was in grade 3 (? Around that time period) I was taught an acronym to help remember the Great Lakes: 'HOMES'.
Huron
Ontario
Michigan
Eerie
Superior

*EDIT: I just realized how random that must seem, but I felt like sharing.
-Jason

I was trying to remeber what that acronym was , I learned it too many moons ago.

Well, our closing got postponed from next Monday to next Friday. It was chaos last night trying to deal with the bank on this. It is a VA loan and they are super-picky, and the VA inspector decided to go on vacation (no fault of his own, I'm sure, it's just that our bank and he didn't communicate deadlines) so the closing got postponed. We do have the final approval, though. This cannot get any more complicated or come soon enough! :)

Back