A note about bigotry

Ariakkas said:
gnulinux and sweetmind...you guys got some serious issues you need to workout within yourselves.

LOLOL....Ariakkas - AMEN!!!!! Hallelujah.

I agree with you wholeheartedly.

I'll not name anyone or point any fingers, but "some people" have a way of twisting things that are said into something that was NOT said. Your comment nailed it, though - the issues that "some people" have are truly with themselves.

:dizzy:

What attitude? Alienate? FYI! I sign with deaf people. And I encourage socialization with deaf people.

your a hearing person, and your advocating for deaf people...thats not exactly appropriate. People will see her with you and will form a negative opinion about her from your attitude toward their lifestlye and culture.

imo, you need to be more accepting...stop forcing people...stop "encouraging" your fiancee to socialize with Deaf...she will find her identity without you, trust me. I have many d/Deaf friends...i accept them wether they are culturally deaf or not, and im a better signer and friend for it.

basically my point is that your doing too much...just relax. your way too angry, and you've only been involved with deaf people for a year? yeesh

Endymion said:
Gnulinuxman,

I have a strange query. You remind me of someone I know, and that puts me on a long thought train. At the end of this train, I have a curious question. Do you, by any chance, happen to be a member of Mensa in Wisconsin?
No.

^Angel^ said:
My parents raise my sister and I the oral way is because they did not know how to raise a deaf child, and they did everything they thought they did was right, we wore hearing aids, and didn't learn sign language until very late, but at least I don't blame my parents at all because I wouldn't be able to use my voice to talk to others, and my family thought we should fit in both hearing and the deaf world , since we do not only live in one world but two, and I thank my parents for raising us the right way, and today I am able to talk , read lips, but not able to hear anything, that why I count on interpreters so they can help me understand what is being said, I'm not very good reading some people's lips, that's depends on how they are able to open the mouth wide enough to understand them, so every person is different, and with the interpreter's help really does make difference....

I'm sorry to hear about her bad experiences, but I'm deaf too, and I learn to live my life by taking care of my own problems than blaming them for my problems....
If you like it, that's fine. My fiancee likes that too. Her mom, though, is trying to eliminate all her help (interpreters, etc.) and refuses to face her. THAT's what I'm mad about.

Ariakkas said:
your a hearing person, and your advocating for deaf people...thats not exactly appropriate. People will see her with you and will form a negative opinion about her from your attitude toward their lifestlye and culture.

imo, you need to be more accepting...stop forcing people...stop "encouraging" your fiancee to socialize with Deaf...she will find her identity without you, trust me. I have many d/Deaf friends...i accept them wether they are culturally deaf or not, and im a better signer and friend for it.

basically my point is that your doing too much...just relax. your way too angry, and you've only been involved with deaf people for a year? yeesh
A year? Try 8 years. I met my first deaf friend 8 years ago, and we got along marvelously. She was killed for standing up for everyone, deaf and hearing, by a gang. I miss her.

By the way, I advocate for EVERYBODY who is not viewed by mainstream society as "normal" or "good enough"--autistics, people with ADD/ADHD, deaf people, blind people, dyslexia, cognitive disorder--you name it. You don't understand my point here--I want people to function with what they have, not be forced or denied what they need because some "normals" think it's good enough as-is. I have two of the conditions listed above, and people from all those groups face the same kind of discrimination bullshit there and have problems in particular areas artificially. We can all function, but I stand up for the rights of everybody to function the BEST way they can with what they have--not the "normal" way.

gnulinuxman said:
... Her mom, though, is trying to eliminate all her help (interpreters, etc.) and refuses to face her. ..
How old is your fiancee? Maybe it was already mentioned and I missed it. If so, I'm sorry for repeating the question.

A year? Try 8 years. I met my first deaf friend 8 years ago, and we got along marvelously. She was killed for standing up for everyone, deaf and hearing, by a gang. I miss her.

My sympathy goes to you and your love ones. Thats why I respect you as a hearing person with a good attitude, all the way since you have my eyes now. ;)

By the way, I advocate for EVERYBODY who is not viewed by mainstream society as "normal" or "good enough"--autistics, people with ADD/ADHD, deaf people, blind people, dyslexia, cognitive disorder--you name it. You don't understand my point here--I want people to function with what they have, not be forced or denied what they need because some "normals" think it's good enough as-is. I have two of the conditions listed above, and people from all those groups face the same kind of discrimination bullshit there and have problems in particular areas artificially. We can all function, but I stand up for the rights of everybody to function the BEST way they can with what they have--not the "normal" way.

Thank you so much! I feel the same way how you feel. Now you can see why I am being so different from many deafies in this forum. They dont like it so they can bashing me up.. Thats the true fact of whats happening in many post topic where I stood up for a good reason. Take a good look!

I know some d/Deaf people with or without oral speaking were beaten up and have a very painful in one side of their ears that has device or no device in it by people or hearing parents after all we have many secondary disabiities that they dont see it from there in the beginning of our life yet. Hearing people from MEDICAL issues are the responsibility to pay their own damages on their d/Deaf child for their lifetime.

Audist attitude people are responsibile for giving too much one -sided that damages our true languages, mentals and emotionals and our ADA rights. They whined and whined all that BS going on after all they are too busy to bash me up real good and think of themselves as self centered.

I wish there are some more hearing people like you and saw the true fact around your life. Truth comes out now.. What a relief!!! ;) Boy I love this guy who have a good sense to see things for a real in this society. Thank you for telling the truth. I appreciate it so much with all my heart.

Thank you very much! ;)

Sweetmind

Last edited:
The profile indicates she's 20 going on 21, just to save some clicking.

Thank you, Etoile and gnulinuxman.

I was just wondering how her mom can "eliminate" her interpreters if she is not a minor.

Aack! I hope it doesn't mean "eliminate" the same way the Mafia does! :eek: (just kidding)

gnulinuxman said:
If you like it, that's fine. My fiancee likes that too. Her mom, though, is trying to eliminate all her help (interpreters, etc.) and refuses to face her. THAT's what I'm mad about.

Oh okay :thumb:..

Interpretrator said:
Angel, thank you for the kind comments!

As far as this statement goes, I assume you meant that towards gnulinuxmandeaflinuxgeek, but I've taken it to heart myself and will be "moving on" and not reading any more of their posts.

When did you start??? :laugh2: If you had been reading our posts, you would have understood we were NOT saying ALL interpreters were bad, just SOME.

As for the others attacking us without reading our posts on here, maybe we should stop feeding you trolls. :roll:

Reba said:
Thank you, Etoile and gnulinuxman.

I was just wondering how her mom can "eliminate" her interpreters if she is not a minor.

Aack! I hope it doesn't mean "eliminate" the same way the Mafia does! :eek: (just kidding)
By trying to "prove" she's incompetant by getting a psychologist that doesn't believe she's deaf and who treats her like a hearing person. (Yes, she really did that.) The guy covered his mouth, saw the hearing aid, and said on the report that she's not deaf and that her hearing aid made her hear, and the reason she scored poorly "must" have been that she was stupid. (Basically, he saw the hearing aid and assumed she could hear because her mom said so.) Then she (the mom) is trying to use this to prove that my fiancee doesn't need interpreters and that she is incompetant. That's how.

gnulinuxman said:
By trying to "prove" she's incompetant by getting a psychologist that doesn't believe she's deaf and who treats her like a hearing person. (Yes, she really did that.) The guy covered his mouth, saw the hearing aid, and said on the report that she's not deaf and that her hearing aid made her hear, and the reason she scored poorly "must" have been that she was stupid. (Basically, he saw the hearing aid and assumed she could hear because her mom said so.) Then she (the mom) is trying to use this to prove that my fiancee doesn't need interpreters and that she is incompetant. That's how.
Wow, it seems there are deeper family issues involved. I'm very sorry that she and her mom are in such conflict.

I didn't mean to dig so deeply into her personal life, so maybe we better stop here unless gnulinuxmandeaflinuxgeek herself wants to post something.

If I (or anyone here) ever asks something too personal, please don't feel it is necessary to respond. A simple "that is too personal to discuss" is enough.

Family issues with deafness in family

Reba said:
Wow, it seems there are deeper family issues involved. I'm very sorry that she and her mom are in such conflict.

I didn't mean to dig so deeply into her personal life, so maybe we better stop here unless gnulinuxmandeaflinuxgeek herself wants to post something.

If I (or anyone here) ever asks something too personal, please don't feel it is necessary to respond. A simple "that is too personal to discuss" is enough.

Hey thanks for understanding!!! my fiance (gnulinuxman ) is right on what he is saying and the family issues are just continuing to grow worse depending on the situation :sadwave:

I am so damn :pissed: at my mom and my family that its insane. :ugh: sometimes I dont know where I belong and all.. :dunno: thanks for listening to my fiance he is a big help.

Want to know what I look like -> I am in my avatar pic....yep, its me in that pic and that way awhile ago but I still haven't updated yet.

Deaflinuxgeek

Last edited:
Reba, it's fine--we needed help with these issues anyway.

For the record, we don't hate all interpreters, or even most of them. Just the ones who don't pay attention, and who think they know all there is to know about deafness and deaf culture. I myself take the 'terp role in church.

I advocate for deaf people not by going and seeking help myself for them but by telling them:

1. What I saw that was objectionable (and ask for clarification)
2. If they need help, to get help.
3. Some suggestions.

Sure, I get discriminated against similarly to deaf people, especially when I am signing ASL to my fiancee and hearing people think I'm deaf myself.

The point is, I basically give my side and some suggestions and let the Deafies handle it themselves. I do stand up on forums and discussions/debates/arguments (wouldn't anybody stand up for their friends??), but when it comes to filing complaints or legal action (or any other kind of action), the most I will do is tell them what I saw/heard and suggest something, and, if needed, be a witness. But I always leave it up to them to make the call as to whether action should be taken.

gnulinuxman said:
TRUE!!!! The value of TRUE ASL NEEDS to be promoted. S.E.E. is CRAP!!! It is not "sign language".

LOL. What an extremely ignorant comment. I m profoundly deaf and I sign SEE. I think I m doing fine in life with it. In my opinion, it is the best style to use. How about you let people pick what style they think is the best for them and shut the fark up? You are not even deaf. Get a life.

Sign language types are all different

hootster said:
LOL. What an extremely ignorant comment. I m profoundly deaf and I sign SEE. I think I m doing fine in life with it. In my opinion, it is the best style to use. How about you let people pick what style they think is the best for them and shut the fark up? You are not even deaf. Get a life.

Excuse me for saying this but gnulinuxman has a life and a good one too. Why does he need to fark up?? :wtf: All people have their own opinions and all that on Sign language as well as I teach gnulinuxman to pick his learning. :ugh: If you like SEE that is fine and maybe he doesn't but that is his choice. Deaf or not, he likes the deaf world over the hearing because its quieter and all, there is more but I am not going to say, I'll let him do it. :deaf:

deaflinuxgeek said:
Excuse me for saying this but gnulinuxman has a life and a good one too. Why does he need to fark up?? :wtf: All people have their own opinions and all that on Sign language as well as I teach gnulinuxman to pick his learning. :ugh: If you like SEE that is fine and maybe he doesn't but that is his choice. Deaf or not, he likes the deaf world over the hearing because its quieter and all, there is more but I am not going to say, I'll let him do it. :deaf:

Yes, I know that he is entitled to his opinion. I have NO PROBLEM with that. I could care less if a person doesnt think that SEE is the best method to use. I could care less if a person uses ASL or SEE. Whatever works for them. However, I have a problem with how he presented his opinion. This is what he said-

"TRUE!!!! The value of TRUE ASL NEEDS to be promoted. S.E.E. is CRAP!!! It is not "sign language"."

Dont you think thats kinda insulting to people who sign SEE? He is basically saying that people who sign SEE are stupid tools who dont sign the "real" sign language aka ASL. I mean, come on, I sign SEE and I m doing fine, so therefore SEE is not "crap." If he presented his opinion in a better way instead of saying that SEE is "crap", I wouldnt have gotten all riled up.

When I told him to get a life, I meant for him to stop telling people that their way is wrong and allow them to decide whats best for themselves. There are no one uniform system that works with everyone.

I can't help but find attitudes like "TRUE!!!! The value of TRUE ASL NEEDS to be promoted. S.E.E. is CRAP!!! It is not "sign language"." strange coming from someone who dislikes gay people because they try to force their opinions/agenda on others.

Back