A note about bigotry

Interpretrator said:
I'm curious, do these laws you're talking about apply to K-12, post-secondary, or both?
Good question. I just re-read the bill, and it does appear unusually broad, covering the whole spectrum of ASL interpreting in the state, not just in the educational setting. If you really want more info, just visit the FAD's website.

Sweetmind said:
That s something that you can learn and make the change for a better interpreter. Thats the way it works for people to face the reality to improve their interpreting performances. That is what it leads you to be more stronger and try the best of it as you can feel good that u have succeed to help other people in your heart in this society that you need to look at.
Right.
Sweetmind said:
One thing is that people broke the violation of ADA laws.
Exactly. Many interpreters don't have a clue how serious their "mistakes" or failures are. And people who are asked to hire an interpreter don't realize how serious this is either. Only Deaf people and hearing people who understand ASL and English (in the USA, anyway) can understand how serious interpreting errors can be.
Sweetmind said:
So therefore they need to wake up how is it so importance to have the interpreter for the d/Deaf people on the job or wherever. No matter you like it or not!
YES!
Sweetmind said:
People have no respect for us d/Deafies for years and years that we have to deal with all that hassles, waiting, postone or cancel for the appt that has never get it done sooner because of not providing an interpreter, judge didnt listen or respect or show up on time and etc. It was so unreasonable situation that we have to deal with BS.
This happens to my fiancee all the time and is the reason I complain about this. I don't pretend to be a certified interpreter just because I know and use ASL.
Sweetmind said:
So you should be glad that you dont have to deal with all that sticky situation that we tolerated with this kind of attitudes that has not changed much. It costs our time, energy, money and pains for years and years. That s full of crap since somebody need to take care of that audist attitude people froom being so self centered all the time as well.
Agreed 100%. Deaf people need GOOD interpreters. Most hearing people don't realize how important this is. Being Deaf is kind of like being in a foreign country and having little or no fluency of the language, but some Deafies do lipread. That's beside the point though. Vocal or not, Deaf people need GOOD interpreters.
Sweetmind said:
All I can say that I like the interpreter with a deaf heart because they know what deafies wants and the level of understanding how to use the facial and body language in ASL. Also I just dont understand why some interpreters arent really supporting us all along while they are working with us. That's a real conflict issues between the interpreter and a deaf person.
It is truly a marvelous thing when my fiancee gets an interpreter with a heart for Deaf people. For the bad ones, it makes me sick to see that kind of thing going on. Again, most hearing people don't try to see this through the eyes of a Deaf person.
Sweetmind said:
Too many times, I felt insulted that someone hired a new interpreter like a new teacher with no knowledge of ASL and use them in the classroom that I couldnt get the whole picture of whats going with teacher s saying cuz they are using toooooo English or make a gutter sign lanugage.
I haven't seen much of this, but I've heard of it. ASL is a beautiful language, and these hearing people don't realize how much easier it is to sign in ASL--it is a LOT simpler and easier on the arms. And hearing people need to drop the "simcomming" stuff (voicing and signing at the same time)--it can't be done unless you're using Signed English. I've always preferred choosing ONE of signing or speaking--not both at once.
Sweetmind said:
So how do you expect me to shut up about it?
You shouldn't. I NEVER tell anyone to live with things to "normalize" them that take away their ability to live to their full potential (like Deaf people who can't get good interpreters).
Sweetmind said:
while I am trying to learn more education as well as it s my mom s money and grant aid for my education. People need to understand how deafies feel about many things that people should see the other sides of the positive or negative issues. Am I supposed to enjoy my learning process into a Education?? YES but with no need to have all that struggles in school or college because of too many artificial...
YES!!! ALL Deaf people's problems are ARTIFICIALLY created by hearing people. That's why I learned ASL--I wanted to eliminate any communication barriers between my fiancee (and other Deaf people too) and me.
Sweetmind said:
I dont think it s quite fair for deafies needs.
I think it downright SUCKS.
Sweetmind said:
Also they focused on deaf oralism with HA and CI that turns me off because of ratio numbers.. Thats BS because it s my right and d/Deaf people with no or ex HA/ CI. MIND you, audist attitude people.
Also, It doesnt make any sense for us to require to use orally speaking as a functionally oral 100 percent or not have any body language and facial language.. Thats our business to say something about it since it s our true language that helps us understand and have a good communication between Hearing and Deaf people in this society. People dont have any respect for our rights.
Oralism--- :pissed: The (BLEEP)ing (BLEEP) who thought of that should be shot. :rl: My fiancee was one of the first deaf people I've ever met, and she taught me ASL. I wanted to learn RIGHT AWAY because I did NOT want her to depend on lipreading with me. She was willing to, but I didn't want to make her do that. Her parents forced her to be "hearing" (even though that's physically impossible), and I wanted it to stop.
Sweetmind said:
So dont take it too personally and put hard on yourself. Try to be openminded and see the reason for us to say something. Also, I have to remind you there is not enough ASL interpreters in this society because SEE is for hearing people to learn that runs into a big problem with deafies.
TRUE!!!! The value of TRUE ASL NEEDS to be promoted. S.E.E. is CRAP!!! It is not "sign language".
Sweetmind said:
I am not rich and cannot afford to pay the interpreter all the time. I feel that hearing people should pay for it since they are the barrier of communication with deafies because they dont want to bother or learn ASL. So it snt my fault or to be the blamed after all I did everything that audist attitude gave me or deafies but failed in many ways. So look the truth facts that is all I can say.
Uh huh. That's right. Deaf people should NOT need interpreters--but sadly they do. It is that hearing audist attitude against learning sign languages that creates this barrier.
Sweetmind said:
So dont take it too personally and put hard on yourself. Try to be openminded and see the reason for us to say something. Also, I have to remind you there is not enough ASL interpreters in this society because SEE an many other artificial languages are for hearing people not d/Deaf people to learn that runs into a big problem with deafies. Thats why it has to be audist attitude s way. That's turns me off since we deafies in Deaf community gave the gifted apprecitation for hearing people to combine with us d/Deafies. We give and dont take it away from you while audist attitude people took away from us d/Deafies and our true languages.
Thanks for the gift of acceptance. I enjoy it. :) What makes me mad is when these people use that against the deaf people.....
Sweetmind said:
Whats more I am not interested an interpreter know SEE only.. They should know ASL and SE with or without orally speaking that will be equally for everyone in this society not to leave a natural d/Deaf people out of the picture. Thats the problem audist attitude ruin for d/Deaf people with ex HA and CI,

It s very oppression and discrimination that I am seeing almost every day of my life that is not necessary.
Totally agreed. Discrimination is NEVER necessary.
Sweetmind said:
Keep your chin up and stay strong! ;)
Will try to do.
Sweetmind said:
This is a real wake up calls. I hope u see my whole meaning of what I am trying to say.
I think I do.
Sweetmind said:
Thank you! ;)
Sweetmind
No, thank you for your posts. :thumb: I agree 100% with your views. I just wanted to add to your interesting (and very true) post.

Oh why? Thank you very much as I am in a shock to see this in a very positive outlook that comes from you. I am more relieved someone saw the truth fact after all I have tried so hard and stated about many things for 8 years. I feel good it s worthwhile to take all of my time, energy, my true inner soul and make my hard work effort and make the difference for a very good reason.

Many thanks for your support for d/Deaf people s right to freedom.

I love you!

Big Warm Hugz, :grouphug:

Big :ty: and thank you! ;)
Sweetmind

Last edited:
Sweetmind said:
Oh why? Thank you very much as I am in a shock to see this in a very positive outlook that comes from you. I am more relieved someone saw the truth fact after all I have tried so hard and stated about many things for 8 years. I feel good it s worthwhile to take all of my time, energy, my true inner soul and make my hard work effort and make the difference for a very good reason.

Many thanks for your support for d/Deaf people s right to freedom.

I love you!

Big Warm Hugz, :grouphug:

Big :ty: and thank you! ;)
Sweetmind
Nothing makes me more angry than seeing unfair treatment of people with special needs as I have them myself, and most of my friends do too. Deaf Culture has been FAR more accepting of my needs than hearing culture ever was, and nothing makes me feel worse than seeing innocent people get treated like idiots. I can't believe how many times I have to say about my fiancee "She's not stupid! She's just deaf!"

:ily: deaflinuxgeek!
:ily: too, sweetmind!

gnulinuxman said:
...Deaf people should NOT need interpreters--but sadly they do. It is that hearing audist attitude against learning sign languages that creates this barrier...
Please clarify for me. Are you saying that hearing people have an "audist attitude", and that they are "against" sign language, so that is the reason Deaf people need interpreters? Do you mean hearing people do not want Deaf people to use sign language? Also, which hearing people do you mean? Please explain.

I can't believe how many times I have to say about my fiancee "She's not stupid! She's just deaf!"

You made me laugh so hard because I was thinking of my saying all the time that I am not that stupid as you think. Of course I am a very natural deaf myself as is. I m proud of it and can make the difference for being deaf in a very positive outlook..

Deaf Culture has been FAR more accepting of my needs than hearing culture ever was, and nothing makes me feel worse than seeing innocent people get treated like idiots.

Tell me about it and you got all my eyes. Thats why I am getting tiresome about everything that does not make any senses. It shows that has not solved anything after all that I was struggled in my and deafies true experiences. Now you can see why I wont licking audist attitude s lollipop.

Hope someday we can meet at our 10th Anniversary Birthday Celebration. I hope everybody come. You and your Deaf lady both will go.

http://www.deafchat.com/birthday.html

:ily:

Sweetmind

Etoile said:
Militants was probably not the best term to use

How about 'fanatics' or 'extremists' since the types of folks that gets the power seats in the deaf communities usually fall into this general category than letting the moderates have leading roles in the deaf communities.

Richard

Originally Posted by Nesmuth
Does the story of Paulette Caswell ring a bell?

Richard

Dont even want to know about Paulette Caswell. I ll run for my lifetime because I dont like the bad feelings that is too many bad vibes about her! She believes all d/Deaf children must have CI and orally speaking only.

gnulinux and sweetmind...you guys got some serious issues you need to workout within yourselves.

stop blaming other people for your problems and you will live a much happier life.

gnulinux...deaf people don't need you to come to thier aid...they are quite capable of advocating for themselves...

you think because you are engaged to a deaf girl your somehow the voice of deaf culture? lmao

you better take a long thin metal rod to your inner ears, cause will never be part of deaf culture, and you more than likely will alienate your fiancee from her peers with your attitude.

Aww :hug: Interpreter.....

Honestly I can't live without interpreters, they helped me alot during my dirvorce, court ,children's doctor appointment/school meetings, play etc....I haven't had any bad experiences with any interpreters, and they also talked to the vet to make sure that are aware of the ADA laws etc, and they're there whenever I need them...I have to thanks them for everything they have done to help many of us without them, we might have a hard time communicate with others or not be able to understand everything they says, interpreters are there to help us, and they shouldn't be put down just cause some people may have a few bad experiences and that doesn't mean all of them are like that, just have to tell them how you feel but do it in a more nicer way afterall not everyone treats deaf people badly I think it goes both ways....

:applause: to ALL the interpreters!!

Also I forgot to add that blaming others doesn't solved anything, We all will have some problems in life that we may struggle on, but that doesn't mean we can rant on and on about what they did to us in the past, we just have to move on and start dealing with the problems ourselves and stop blaming others for the problems that you are facing...

Ariakkas said:
gnulinux and sweetmind...you guys got some serious issues you need to workout within yourselves.
Maybe so, but she is really deaf.
Ariakkas said:
stop blaming other people for your problems and you will live a much happier life.
Ariakkas said:
gnulinux...deaf people don't need you to come to thier aid...they are quite capable of advocating for themselves...
I understand that.
Ariakkas said:
you think because you are engaged to a deaf girl your somehow the voice of deaf culture? lmao
Nope. I never said I was.
Ariakkas said:
you better take a long thin metal rod to your inner ears, cause will never be part of deaf culture, and you more than likely will alienate your fiancee from her peers with your attitude.
What attitude? Alienate? FYI! I sign with deaf people. And I encourage socialization with deaf people.

People need to READ what I type before flaming me.

My fiancee went through HELL before she met me. She has oralist parents who force her to hear with a hearing aid (which is impossible), she became deaf through child abuse, and she is surprised I even want her to have a deaf identity. I don't jump to her assistance. Instead, I encourage her to speak up for herself. Why is this so hard for you audists to understand? I am not an oralist and learned ASL to socialize mostly, not to interpret or "help".

Gnulinuxman,

I have a strange query. You remind me of someone I know, and that puts me on a long thought train. At the end of this train, I have a curious question. Do you, by any chance, happen to be a member of Mensa in Wisconsin?

gnulinuxman said:
My fiancee went through HELL before she met me. She has oralist parents who force her to hear with a hearing aid (which is impossible), she became deaf through child abuse, and she is surprised I even want her to have a deaf identity. I don't jump to her assistance. Instead, I encourage her to speak up for herself. Why is this so hard for you audists to understand? I am not an oralist and learned ASL to socialize mostly, not to interpret or "help".

My parents raise my sister and I the oral way is because they did not know how to raise a deaf child, and they did everything they thought they did was right, we wore hearing aids, and didn't learn sign language until very late, but at least I don't blame my parents at all because I wouldn't be able to use my voice to talk to others, and my family thought we should fit in both hearing and the deaf world , since we do not only live in one world but two, and I thank my parents for raising us the right way, and today I am able to talk , read lips, but not able to hear anything, that why I count on interpreters so they can help me understand what is being said, I'm not very good reading some people's lips, that's depends on how they are able to open the mouth wide enough to understand them, so every person is different, and with the interpreter's help really does make difference....

I'm sorry to hear about her bad experiences, but I'm deaf too, and I learn to live my life by taking care of my own problems than blaming them for my problems....

Last edited:
^Angel^ said:
Also I forgot to add that blaming others doesn't solved anything, We all will have some problems in life that we may struggle on, but that doesn't mean we can rant on and on about what they did to us in the past, we just have to move on and start dealing with the problems ourselves and stop blaming others for the problems that you are facing...

Angel, thank you for the kind comments!

As far as this statement goes, I assume you meant that towards gnulinuxmandeaflinuxgeek, but I've taken it to heart myself and will be "moving on" and not reading any more of their posts.

Interpretrator said:
Angel, thank you for the kind comments!

As far as this statement goes, I assume you meant that towards gnulinuxmandeaflinuxgeek, but I've taken it to heart myself and will be "moving on" and not reading any more of their posts.

Aww you're very much welcome and I can understand that too :hug:...

Sweetmind said:
Dont even want to know about Paulette Caswell. I ll run for my lifetime because I dont like the bad feelings that is too many bad vibes about her! She believes all d/Deaf children must have CI and orally speaking only.

Allright, but that's what she BELIEVES. No one has the right to tell her that she's correct or dead wrong in doing so.

Just like no one has the right to judge YOUR beliefs.

Back