A note about bigotry

ok ok can we cut the crap??

Attacking someone simply because they use SEE or ASL or whatever in the hell someone decides to use is simply wrong and completely off topic.

As Sweetmind will tell you we have met. And I AM A TOTAL SEE SIGNER. I do not even know ASL and dont really give a crap what the differences are.

Now you may get pod at me for saying that. I DONT CARE.

I truly think we are all just this. DEAF INDIVIDUALS.

I also think it is crap to attack deaflinux whoever he or she is simply for standing up for his deaf fiance.

And then in the same sentence attack hearing people for not looking at deaf RIGHTS. Maybe it is just me but seems he cares about DEAF RIGHTS/

I signed however it was or used whatever means of communication I had with Sweetmind and she did not attack me and tell me I was wrong for using that method.

Get used to it people!! We are all deaf individuals, and I put empathesis on INDIVIDUALS. MEANING we all have our own opinions on things. WE all have or own ways of doing things. BE it the so called *right way* or *wrong way* it is OUR way as individuals. Accept it and move on.

As for the orignal topic there are both good and bad interpreters. So for the sn interpreter in here I commend you for wanting to better your interpreter skills. Thank you!!

Even a bad interpreter in my eyes is better than NO interpreter.

Maybe thats just me but thats how I feel

Thanks you,

Bear

"You dont know what s it alike to be deaf if u are not deaf yourself? thank you!?

-SWEETMIND

Ummmmmmmmmmmm, guess what? I am profoundly deaf and have been from birth. It says that I am deaf in my public profile. I even mentioned that I grew up with SEE. Why would I grow up signing SEE if I m hearing? LOL, try to be more careful before u spew ignorance. It just makes you look stupid.

Are you seriously 30 years old? Wow. Sorry, you are the one who needs to grow up. For evidence, look at your previous posts. You keep on spewing harsh words at people who dont agree with you and you EVEN accused me of not knowing about any struggles that deaf people go through. Guess what? I go through the same farking thing that you and all other deaf people do!! Instead of whining about how "hearing people oppress me. waa waa. They dont respect me. waa waa.", I go out and work my ass off to improve myself and EARN my respect.

Just stop this nonsense attitude. That goes for other deaf people with similar attitudes. PLEASE! I m getting tired of it. It gets us deaf people nowhere.

Bear said:

Attacking someone simply because they use SEE or ASL or whatever in the hell someone decides to use is simply wrong and completely off topic.

As Sweetmind will tell you we have met. And I AM A TOTAL SEE SIGNER. I do not even know ASL and dont really give a crap what the differences are.

I also think it is crap to attack deaflinux whoever he or she is simply for standing up for his deaf fiance.

And then in the same sentence attack hearing people for not looking at deaf RIGHTS. Maybe it is just me but seems he cares about DEAF RIGHTS/

I signed however it was or used whatever means of communication I had with Sweetmind and she did not attack me and tell me I was wrong for using that method.

Get used to it people!! We are all deaf individuals, and I put empathesis on INDIVIDUALS. MEANING we all have our own opinions on things. WE all have or own ways of doing things. BE it the so called *right way* or *wrong way* it is OUR way as individuals. Accept it and move on.

As for the orignal topic there are both good and bad interpreters. So for the sn interpreter in here I commend you for wanting to better your interpreter skills. Thank you!!

Thanks you,

Bear

Thank you!

I REALLY DONT CARE if you use ASL or SEE. I believe that it is a personal choce. However, if someone spews ignorant crap about SEE, my communication method, it pisses me off. I will definitely say something if that happens.

Ok, if she has met you and u are a total SEE signer, then why is she saying all that crap about SEE? I find that odd.

psst hoostser she's not 30 but she's talking about her children. however that is not important.. you all know how to use ignore feature of this board? use it!

hootster said:
Thank you!

I REALLY DONT CARE if you use ASL or SEE. I believe that it is a personal choce. However, if someone spews ignorant crap about SEE, my communication method, it pisses me off. I will definitely say something if that happens.

Ok, if she has met you and u are a total SEE signer, then why is she saying all that crap about SEE? I find that odd.

Ahh finally figured out the quote feature. I didnt see her spewing no crap about SEE I just seen that she said ASL is the only TRUE language of the deaf.

Maybe I read that wrong. I dont know. LOL and Your welcome. I agree it is a personal choice. The only one I have truly seen spewing something against SEE is deaflinux whatever.

And yes has met me and we got along really well. She didnt say one word against me for not being an ASL user.

Bear

I have read many of sweetminds writings and In my opinion, she doesn't in her heart think that all of the hearing world is against the deaf world. However, I can see how some would get that impression based on how she chooses her words. I will give you examples from her last post.
Sweetmind said:
Guess what they are spliting us up and ignore our d/Deaf people and Hearing and d/Deaf people s disablities like blind, cancer throat, and many things that works for all of us equally at once.
That statement above sounds like a generalization. It suggests that all of the hearing community is responsible for the split up. Perhaps a more accurate way of putting it would be to say "Guess what, those with audist attitudes are splitting us up."
Sweetmind said:
Guess what I made more friends with hearing people and have helped them so much as much as I can be very fair and honest for those d/Deaf children with or without HA and CI devices.

I DO NOT HATE ANYBODY because they are hearing
That statement (and others I have seen in previous posts) tells me that sweetmind is not some militant anti hearing extremist as some of you accuse her of. She has also provided me with helpful information and I am a hearing parent that chose to have CI surgery for my child. If you believe she is anti-everything except ASL, then I don't think she be helpful to me?

Sweetmind said:
What makes you think that I dont feel to be part of this fricky hearing world after all they dont have any respect for our ADA/ ASL/ True indentity/ and many other things that we did not have a chance to know the full alive of being deaf or Deaf Role Model s successful. How dare you tell me this kind of attitude as u judge or assumed about me as a Deaf natural person who love hearing friends , families, children, and many others that s who do not give two way streets that has BEEN CONITNUALLY from the past and todays!
More statements full of generalizations that I would have worded differently. Sweetmind, when you talk about the injustices, perhaps saying those with audist attitude would be better than generalizing the entire population. This is where I think people are getting the wrong impression of your meaning.
Sweetmind said:
They have no respect for us deafies and our needs that comes first.
[/QUOTE}
Another huge generalization. I am hearing so am I one of them? No, I honestly don't believe you mean "all hearing". I know based on reading your writings that you really mean those with audist attitudes.

I have been in many written conversations with many different deafies over the past few months. It is crystal clear to me that some have a better command of the written word than others. For those that don’t have a good command I have to re-read what is written several times. I have to extrapolate and interpolate and read between the lines to get a close understanding of what is intended by the writer.

In closing I will say this. Sweetmind you are obviously very passionate about your ideals and I admire that. I can honestly feel your heart. I believe that I understand you and where you are comming from.

With today’s technology we are able to communicate with each other without ever meeting or seeing one another. But guess what? We are now reduced to the written word as a means of communication. Posting to alldeaf over the internet is a perfect example. Please don't take this wrong or as me having an audist attitude, but I feel that if you were able to choose your words more carefully, some folks would not mis-understand you. And that is what I believe is happening. Just a lot of mis-understandings that originate by how you chose your words. Please sweetmind; be careful in your writings to not generalize. That is where I think you are getting misunderstood by some. And I hate to see someone that I know has a good heart getting nit picked because of your choices of words. :ty:

Bear said:
Ahh finally figured out the quote feature. I didnt see her spewing no crap about SEE I just seen that she said ASL is the only TRUE language of the deaf.

Maybe I read that wrong. I dont know. LOL and Your welcome. I agree it is a personal choice. The only one I have truly seen spewing something against SEE is deaflinux whatever.

And yes has met me and we got along really well. She didnt say one word against me for not being an ASL user.

Bear

I reread the posts. She actually did not spew crap about SEE directly. I said that out of emotion. It was actually gnulinuxman who did that. Sorry about that.

All I can say I m talking about these people that deafies and I had experienced with between the past and todays. It doesnt even stopped yet.

So why are you taking it too personally while we never meet.. and I am no talking about you.. but there are people out there in our deaf commmunity/ hearing community.. Thats all to it. Be openmind and I know it s hard for you because you are hearing as is.. Just relax that I am saying you did it as an individuals which I havent said it. ;)

LOOK at our Deaf school closed. Make all d/Deaf children to deal with Hearing world alone while they dont have a deaf friend that they can feel comfortable with.. Can we deafies friends with d/Deaf with or without HA or CI children of Disabilities and with or with no HA or with or without oral speaking? We are not allowed to have that is what I am getting their negative impression. I have been told that deaf children with CI are not allowed to be with other d/Deaf children HAs or No HAs with signings [somewhere out of usa] in their country that person went to see it. I was shocked to see this happening is for a real. Thats how I feel offended by this audist attitude.

That' s when and where you got it from their influences that you agreed with them while they dont really know the full details of being deaf..... ;)
It doesnt matter when, it s STILL active of audist attitude issue that has not stopped it yet. ;)

Never mind about my age if you mind.. I dont need your age discrimination that how audist people treats deaf people a very dis-respectful remarks toward me as a Deaf mother to make it attack by their own audist attitude as usual.. Thats a very good example here as you will find it after my writings.

Thats what I am seeing in here AD and DN forums as usual.. It hasnt changed a bit or respect my different philosophy of deafness into a very positive outlook that I am standing up for d/Deaf children s best interest.

Why cant we have the equal opportunity to have ASL and SE as BI BI language with or without orally speaking that fits hearing community that works very well at first place?..

Oh hell, we are very good without oral. they go to the library and are not oral - they are VISUAL....just like deafies

Thank you! ;)
Sweetmind

Endymion said:
One thing I thought I'd mention is that while SEE users tend to have a more solid grasp of the English language, they do have something I'll term SEE-glish.
Once again, you've coined a classic there! :rofl:

I'm somewhat reluctant about the idea of using SEE or any other 'consciously designed sign language systems', in a formal setting in the classroom. This ASL vs ESE study, conducted sometime in 1997, lays it all out pretty good. While SEE has its moments, my concern lies in 'excessive prompting' inherent in artificial sign language systems.

Excessive prompting in a natural discourse of a particular communications method only serves to expose flaws in such systems, pointing out inefficiencies. The main objective is to allow students to naturally master their language, and not have inefficiencies retard their progress on a daily basis.

That all said, SEE does have its moments. For short and concentrated bursts, SEE seems to be more than adequate as a communications method in teaching English in a classroom setting.

SEE-glishly yours,
:)

I reread the posts. She actually did not spew crap about SEE directly. I said that out of emotion. It was actually gnulinuxman who did that. Sorry about that.

I dont have to take too personal from what I read what gnulinuxman said it. He has the right to express his own expressive language that he discovered how beautiful ASL is that he finally learned more and more and saw it as a real language. He was so amazed about ASL that he fell in love with and see ASL can help deafies who need this kind of true language..

Thats what some interpreter with a deaf heart, they intend to mingle with us all along that fits into one group altogether like a brotherhood and sisterhood in the past. I have respect them with all my heart. We had a real blast time in old days as they love to be a deaf themselves. It s nice to hear the positive outlook to see hearing people have a great attitude. However it s so sad everything has to split up and not allowed to have any interpreter to mingle or interact with us deafies as a friendship outside of the job. Thats where it hurts us the most. Thats why I dont agree to have everything to be split up and spreading out and force us to be a HEARING PERSON which is very very wrongdoing. Sighs!

Thank you! ;)
Sweetmind

LMM need explain few thing about SEE.
When you learn SEE, It's not the same sign's for ASL. Yes some SEE word's have borrowed from ASL signs. No ASL haven't borrow from English word[SEE] SEE again borrow from ASL!
If you learned SEE, and think you can sign ASL by leaving out word's. You will confussed the person and/or people who do sign ASL. You may NOT make your own grammer and/or syntax. You MUST go by laws of the Deaf Community! Yes we do have Deaf in our community that sign SEE, BUT they are learning ASL.
Deaf Community is NOT your hearing loss people who live in the hearing community! The Deaf Community word is used by DEAF! Not people who have hearing loss. You don't even have to have a hearing loss tobelong to Deaf Community. But you MUST obey our rules !
Hearing world have borrow from the Deaf Community!

LMM

Sweetmind said:
I dont have to take too personal from what I read what gnulinuxman said it. He has the right to express his own expressive language that he discovered how beautiful ASL is that he finally learned more and more and saw it as a real language. He was so amazed about ASL that he fell in love with and see ASL can help deafies who need this kind of true language..

I have no problem with that at all. I dont mind if anyone prefers ASL to SEE cuz I believe that it is a personal preference; however, I do have a problem with him saying that SEE is "crap." I was insulted when he said that cuz I sign SEE and have done fine with it. It has not prevented me from learning at all. I know that SEE is not perfect, but it is the BEST method for me to use because I like to know what is being said WORD FOR WORD in the correct order. Like I said before, it is personal preference. That was what the whole deal was about before it eurpted. haha.

Bear said:

True. I only brought up ASL because it is frequently mistaken as a signed version of English. That would be SEE/PSE. Personally, I know ASL, PSE, and SEE because deaflinuxgeek taught me all three. She wanted me to communicate with as many deaf people as possible.

Bear said:

I really don't care either. I prefer ASL to signed English, but that's your choice.

Bear said:
I'm not, but I don't care about that or not.

Bear said:

I'm glad SOMEBODY else noticed the irony. I really do care about deaf rights. That's the whole reason I got upset in the FIRST PLACE!

Bear said:
I'm not surprised.

Bear said:
Agreed. More people need to see that. I think deaf people are human beings with differences of opinion.

Bear said:

Thanks you,

Bear

LMM said:
LMM need explain few thing about SEE.
When you learn SEE, It's not the same sign's for ASL. Yes some SEE word's have borrowed from ASL signs. No ASL haven't borrow from English word[SEE] SEE again borrow from ASL!
If you learned SEE, and think you can sign ASL by leaving out word's. You will confussed the person and/or people who do sign ASL. You may NOT make your own grammer and/or syntax. You MUST go by laws of the Deaf Community! Yes we do have Deaf in our community that sign SEE, BUT they are learning ASL.
Deaf Community is NOT your hearing loss people who live in the hearing community! The Deaf Community word is used by DEAF! Not people who have hearing loss. You don't even have to have a hearing loss tobelong to Deaf Community. But you MUST obey our rules !
Hearing world have borrow from the Deaf Community!

LMM

Thats odd. Recently, I started to go to a couple of deaf events in Oklahoma City (I never went to any growing up. By choice, not cuz my parents didnt allow me to. Just wasnt interested at the time). Most of the deafies and hearing people at the events signed SEE or PSE. If they signed ASL, they didnt tell me. I didnt know that to be part of the deaf community, one had to sign ASL.

Maybe its different for certain states or cities?

Choosing worlds and all that stuff

hootster said:
OK, I see a lot of hate for hearing people and non-ASL users from sweetmind. lol.

EVEN hearing people experience social ills. They experience abuses from their parents. They experience bullshit from people. You act like this only happens to deaf people. Newsflash, It happens to HEARING people TOO!

Also, not ALL deaf people go through that kind of things. For example, I didnt. I had a pretty good life other than the occisonal hardship. I m sure others did too. Not all deaf people had parents who were uncaring.

NOt all hearing people are bunches of bitches. I have met alot of caring hearing people in my lifetime. If you havent, it is probably because you shun them or you are looking in the wrong places.

Although I dont care if anyone uses ASL, it is not a good idea to use that as the SOLE way to solve ALL of the problems for all deaf people. It doesnt work for EVERYONE. The problem that some deaf people have with ASL is its lack of proper word arrangement which makes it difficult for them to enforce proper word arrangement when writing. Take a look at your posts and you will see what I mean. Please dont get offended by this. I m not sayin that everyone who signs ASL sucks at writing, but it does make it harder for them to learn proper word arrangement and grammar. This is where SEE comes in for some deaf people.

Yes, I agree with you tha ASL is a real language. Just like English, the language that SEE enforces. Whats wrong with speaking English? Some of us want to be able to speak English so we can be part of the hearing world as well be part of the deaf world. Not all deaf people hate the hearing world and shun it. Not all deaf people want to be isolated in the deaf world either.

It is much easier to get jobs and to get along with people when u know how to interact in the HEARING world.

Yes, I m sorry, but this is the truth. IT IS A HEARING WORLD. Theres nothing u can do to change that. All you can do is try to adapt to the hearing world while retaining your deaf idendity. Its possible to balance the two.

Because we sign SEE, we are ashamed of being deaf? Guess what? You still have to SIGN to use SEE. If we were ashamed of being deaf, we wouldnt sign AT ALL! We would be trying to use our voice as much as we can no matter how much we suck at it. Terrible blanket statement.

As for being part and proud of deaf culture, some deaf people generally avoid it because of the bad press that miliant deaf people like you give. "ASL IS THE ONLY TRUE LANGUAGE!!!! SEE SUCKS!! HEARING PEOPLE SUCK!" Come on. Get real. The best way to go is to be more flexible to the needs of individual deaf people if u want deaf people to be proud of the deaf culture.

"I find this is funny for hearing people to take SEE that is easy for them which it s related to a SPOKEN language"

THAT IS EXACTLY WHY SOME DEAF PEOPLE WANT TO LEARN SEE! See my previous statement about being part of the hearing world.

Jeez, sweetmind, you need to grow up and stop all this blanket hate for hearing people and people who are not "D"eaf or dont sign ASL.

Well, look here you are trying to make us Deafies look horrible in finding jobs. We don't have to use our ears at all to hear and you know that. It shouldn't matter what world we pick to side in.....I am progressively happy in the deaf world thank you and so is my fiance. And there is so not a possibility to balance being both hearing and deaf. I went deaf at age 12 from my mom's abuse and you know what? I always wanted deafness. I am not going to try to adapt to a world that I am force to adapt to at all. My fiance maybe hearing but he wants to be involved with the deaf world and all. I Think he has made the best pick ever in his life. All this about adapting and dealing with a world we dont need is pure pure :bsflag: We should choose our worlds and pick whether or not to adapt. I am austisic and have ADHD and I love the deaf world, the hearing world for me is so neutral. I believe my fiance feels the same way. :sadwave: Will you be more respectful please??

Deaflinuxgeek

In my opinion, ADHD has nothing to do with deafness. I was diagnosed with ADHD in 1987, almost 20 years ago. I have been an ADHD activist for many years. It's not really related to deafness at all.

deaflinuxgeek said:
Well, look here you are trying to make us Deafies look horrible in finding jobs. We don't have to use our ears at all to hear and you know that. It shouldn't matter what world we pick to side in.....I am progressively happy in the deaf world thank you and so is my fiance. And there is so not a possibility to balance being both hearing and deaf. I went deaf at age 12 from my mom's abuse and you know what? I always wanted deafness. I am not going to try to adapt to a world that I am force to adapt to at all. My fiance maybe hearing but he wants to be involved with the deaf world and all. I Think he has made the best pick ever in his life. All this about adapting and dealing with a world we dont need is pure pure :bsflag: We should choose our worlds and pick whether or not to adapt. I am austisic and have ADHD and I love the deaf world, the hearing world for me is so neutral. I believe my fiance feels the same way. :sadwave: Will you be more respectful please??

Deaflinuxgeek

LOL, I dont think that I was being disrespectful to the deaf world. I didnt say that the deaf world SUCKS or anything like that. I just implied that some deaf people are not really interested in following the so called "deaf rules" aka sign ASL and being part of the deaf community exclusively. Some want to sign SEE and be part of both communities. Sorry, but thats the truth.

I believe that a deaf person needs a balance between the deaf and hearing worlds cuz the HEARING WORLD holds the majority right now. That doesnt mean that I think the deaf world sucks or that I m being disrespectful. This is an opinion of mine that you said that everyone was entitled to. Remember?

Also, I m sorry that u dont think that it is possible to balance the hearing and deaf worlds. Thats the attitude that bothers me about some deaf people. Why does it have to be a black/white issue? Again, this is my opinion that u said everyone was entitled to.

Ok, I said much EASIER to find jobs, not that deaf people suck at finding jobs. Quit putting words in my mouth.

Jeez, I m done. I dont want to argue anymore. Arguing takes up too much of my time, causing me to put off my homework. So lets agree to disagree. Ok? hahaha.

Awwww...

Methinks it's time for a group hug, everyone. Come on everyone! :grouphug:

I believe that a deaf person needs a balance between the deaf and hearing worlds cuz the HEARING WORLD holds the majority right now. That doesnt mean that I think the deaf world sucks or that I m being disrespectful. This is an opinion of mine that you said that everyone was entitled to. Remember?

LMM lives just FINE in her Deaf world ! She have told me awfull story's, What she have be going throu in our hearing world. I'm sure if you ask people at our town center. [Who employe's terp for deaf] What LMM has gone throu. They surly can tell you it hasn't be fun & games for her! People knew LMM Deaf, Think she could write & read English. When she try write "She need terp, Her Language ASL" They try reading her writing, Give her a dumbfound look,Same she does w/them! She have not heard from this public place, Only they change person in charge of her. LMM will be contacting people this week. She still not feeling good. But feel sorry for people at this place when she does!
LMM was just started to help our hearing world understand the Deaf World, Then something as sad as this happen's, Her wall goes back up. If you like me to repete what she say about our sad hearing world, Oh I'm sure you have a hay day with it! Sure you get the point!
LMM isn't just 1 person who have a wall up, The Deaf have try to gap two world together !
Again people/person may have hearing loss, But that does not make them part
of the Deaf Community ! They live their live in the hearing world, They are only people/person w/hearing loss!
Again you learn SEE, the sign's are total differnet then ASL, Yes some are the same BUT SEE borrow these sign's from ASL. You know SEE, Want to know ASL, You have to relearn ASL. Word's are signed differnet then word's in SEE! Grammer syntax is differnet. A person who Language is ASL, really never learn English, Their writing is not going to be English! Yes people, who don't understand this will look at that person writting w/dumbfound face's! Same w/LMM when she try's to read & understand English Language! You chat w/LMM in her Language she understand you very well. But you chat w/her in English. She will keep nodding her head, Smiling as if she knows what the heck you are talking about. Have no clue!
I have see her TTD Msg w/ RO, You may be surprize ! The RO pick up her Language quick, Start relay in a Language she can understand. Some RO will tell her HLD, They put another RO on call who does understand. There's never a problem.
Hootster what is name of your Deaf Club? Thank's

LMM

Back