‘Whites only' basketball league announced

I'm giving a example so calm down, man.

Skyscrapercity forum is discuss about skyscrapers so about cities in around world, it has bunches of professionals to say.

I see. Ok. It all depends on the context of the discussion so I wouldn't rule out anything here.

Ah, I see. Like it's ok to have a magazine called "Ebony" but not so for "Ivory"?
I never said nor implied that. But if you are illustrating the double standard then yes I agree it's a double standard.

I see. Ok. It all depends on the context of the discussion so I wouldn't rule out anything here.

Yup, Skyscrapercity forum is very banning infested that where many members has been banned for broke the simple rule or mod don't like their way to say or discussion so I don't go there anymore.

Otherwise, it is very good discussion about skyscrapers and cities so I prefer skyscraperpage and I have going be careful when I start discussion about race colors since I got warned for discussion about race colors like saying Atlanta has high number of black populations.

I understand that but sometimes you have to let go of the past in order to be able to move on and have a better future.

I agree. But there are a lot of people who haven't, or who are letting go the best they can, and yet they still have feelings. The idea of a white-only team is offensive to many. It's kind of stupid to try to pull off at this point in history if you ask me.

Yeah like a white man can sue if he is not allowed to become a Black Panther or a Black man can sue if he can't become a member of the KKK.

Ah, see the difference is those are private clubs and they are not covered. If this were a private basketball league they would be fine too. However this is a Pro basketball league so I am pretty sure it is covered by the CRA

Double standard is a by-product of racism? Could u please explain that?

Sure. The reason it often seems more acceptable for black people to form a black team or interest group, and not for white people to do the same because of the history of oppression that black people have suffered within the U.S.

There were days when the only team was by default a white-only team, the only interest group was by default a white-only group, in other words, for a long time blacks were barred from such groups. (And it only occurred later to people to make black-only teams and organizations side-by-side with the white-only ones.) This translates to different social implications when creating a white-only team today. Making a black-oriented interest group implies a sense of empowerment whereas making a white-only group implies racism.

Sure. The reason it often seems more acceptable for black people to form a black team or interest group, and not for white people to do the same because of the history of oppression that black people have suffered within the U.S.

There were days when the only team was by default a white-only team, the only interest group was by default a white-only group, in other words, for a long time blacks were barred from such groups. (And it only occurred later to people to make black-only teams and organizations side-by-side with the white-only ones.) This translates to different social implications when creating a white-only team today. Making a black-oriented interest group implies a sense of empowerment whereas making a white-only group implies racism.

Hence the double standard, political correctness and, if I daresay, hypocrisy.

Ah but since white basketball players are a minority wouldn't an all white basketball league empower them?????/ I'm not necessarily for it......I'm just sayin

Your "double standards" thing is a very simplified way of looking at the problem. Let's look at all these so called "---- only" entities. Black only, deaf only, Latino only, etc. etc. What's the common denominator in all of them. EACH ARE MINORITIES.

In the United States, white people are the majority, both in demographics and in political/social/economic influence. These entities, whether it is Ebony magazine or The NAD, exist as forms of empowerment for each minority group to counter the ingrained mentality that they are inferior, second class, objects, property, etc. (which, let's face it, is how they have been perceived in this country for a majority of its existence). White people do not need to form their "own" clubs and groups because they already control the majority. When a "white only" entity is formed, it is not a tool of empowerment, but a tool of oppression and preserving status quo power.

This "white only" basketball league is nothing more than a reaction to the loss of white control over the image of the NBA. It is racist, pure and simple. You can disagree with me, but until you go study institutional racism extensively, don't give me any armchair analyses. The problem is a lot more complex than your "oh, if they can do it, why can't we?" logic.

I am not saying that certain organizations (take the Black Panthers for example) aren't racist (because they most certainly can be), but their existence was born out of oppression and a need for empowerment.

Having a "white only" club is not the same as having a Deaf only club, or a black only club. Not in this country.

Hence the double standard, political correctness and, if I daresay, hypocrisy.

I completely agree that there's the double-standard and even hypocrisy in many cases. At the same time, given the current social climate, where racism is still alive and well, it was a pretty stupid move.

Why should I even answer to him? CJB understood exactly where I was going with.

He asked you about How so? and you should answer to him.

We know that you won't answer in some post.

No one mentioned once about the poll in this website that asked two simple things:

is this legitimate or a publicity stunt?

Over 54 percent people voted : publicity stunt, so did I. I am not going to get upset if they actually create a all-white league as we have our own deaf leagues and many different clubs, organizations do have basis on race, gender,age, backgrounds etc this "white league" is not going to be any different. However the reasoning to have the league that was given in the article wasn't cool at all.

He asked you about How so? and you should answer to him.

We know that you won't answer in some post.

Double standard, political correctness and, hypocrisy exist in all races. It gets to be petty because political correctness makes even more nauseating.

When I don't answer it's either because I didn't see the question, I was too busy, or I don't care to even answer. What's your hurry? And why are you so concerned?

No one mentioned once about the poll in this website that asked two simple things:

is this legitimate or a publicity stunt?

Over 54 percent people voted : publicity stunt, so did I. I am not going to get upset if they actually create a all-white league as we have our own deaf leagues and many different clubs, organizations do have basis on race, gender,age, backgrounds etc this "white league" is not going to be any different. However the reasoning to have the league that was given in the article wasn't cool at all.

They get "mad" only because the word "white" was inserted into it. Would the outrage be equally as big had it been "black." Again, it's all this political correctness run amok.

Double standard, political correctness and, hypocrisy exist in all races. It gets to be petty because political correctness makes even more nauseating.

When I don't answer it's either because I didn't see the question, I was too busy, or I don't care to even answer. What's your hurry? And why are you so concerned?

He made good point, check his post.
AllDeaf.com - View Single Post - ‘Whites only' basketball league announced

No, I want hear from you when you make answer to him because he made good point, even he asked you a question, it is unexcuse if you are busy because I see you on AD everyday, no, I'm not hurried or concerned and you just make yourself looks bad if you don't answer or get off the rail when debate with him.

He made good point, check his post.
AllDeaf.com - View Single Post - ‘Whites only' basketball league announced

No, I want hear from you when you make answer to him because he made good point, even he asked you a question, it is unexcuse if you are busy because I see you on AD everyday, no, I'm not hurried or concerned and you just make yourself looks bad if you don't answer or get off the rail when debate with him.

This is of no concern of yours. I made my point already.

Back