yourchildren can sign help theparents are deaf

aussielady

Reaction score
undefinedundefinedhello alldeaf
undefined thechildren can help sign for being for inerpeter for theparents but you not hear thedeaf...... :mrgreen: if you can help yourchild inerpeter this and my 2 kids hearing help inerpeter for us because i let knew for you thanks...... you want help the kidof the inerpeter this easy thankyou very muchaussielady :deaf: :ty: :ily:

I am not sure what you mean.

I will never let my hearing kids to interpret for us. They need to focus on their OWN childhood.. We do fine without the interpeter. If they is stubborn to interpet for us. I will tell them, thanks for being thoughtful but they need to enjoy their lives, not work..

again, i am not sure what you mean.

I rather let the kids do what they want instead of having them interpret for me all the time. I've spoken with a lot of CODAs and they say that the most annoying thing they had to deal with while growing up was interpreting for their parents. They would feel embarassed being dragged by their parents just so their parents can say, "What did he say? What did she say? What? What? What?" It was hell for these CODAs. I have a few hearing friends and interpreters who are CODA. The ones who are interpreters became interpreters because they wanted to and their parents never really forced them to interpret for them.

My both boys are hearing. I would not use them as interpreters because they can hear.

I do not need them because I own emails, fax, mobile phone eg. to deal with anyone.

It´s okay if they are willing to interpert for us without get force from us. They likes to do for us at little things etc.

I order neutral interpeter for any neccassary like bank, school, hospitail, etc.

We were at hosptial & waiting for interpeter. The doctor asked my son to interpert for him to tell me something. I told him off to not bother my son & wait until interpeter is back but my son want do it. I told him firm that interperter do it for me. He can interpeter whatever he like at unneccassary things but not important things.

VamPyroX said:
I rather let the kids do what they want instead of having them interpret for me all the time. I've spoken with a lot of CODAs and they say that the most annoying thing they had to deal with while growing up was interpreting for their parents. They would feel embarassed being dragged by their parents just so their parents can say, "What did he say? What did she say? What? What? What?" It was hell for these CODAs. I have a few hearing friends and interpreters who are CODA. The ones who are interpreters became interpreters because they wanted to and their parents never really forced them to interpret for them.

Yeah, I know those stories which it´s bad for hearing children of deaf parents. I feel sorry for hearing children because the parents use them as interpreter all the time. :(

Frisky Feline said:
I am not sure what you mean.

I will never let my hearing kids to interpret for us. They need to focus on their OWN childhood.. We do fine without the interpeter. If they is stubborn to interpet for us. I will tell them, thanks for being thoughtful but they need to enjoy their lives, not work..

again, i am not sure what you mean.

Exactly

Certainally!! Your childern can help

Your kids can help their deaf parents.
Deaf parents of hearing kids are the best!
They're always there when the parents need them to interpret.
For doctors appts.mettings at school ect.
Margie

Margie said:
Margie

Margie, you claim to be an interpreter but you make totally unethical, unprofessional statements. It is extremely unfair to expect children to be responsible for their parents' communications needs, and possibly even dangerous. I can't imagine letting a child relay important medical information between a patient and doctor. Do you really expect a child to interpret a meeting between parent and teacher, and not feel pressure?

I´m totally agree with you, Reba!

I don´t understand you, Margie. It´s unbeliveable & very disgust when I read your post :cold:

I would NEVER use my children for interpeter because they are hearing. I do not need my children´s help. I can manage myself without their help is email, fax, mobile phone, etc to order neutral interpeter.

Margie said:
Margie

I disagree with your statement -- it's unethetical to use hearing children as interpreters for their deaf parents. No way! The professional way is to hire a certified interpreter to do the interpreting!
But what happens at home -- it can happen, but not very often, though.

I would never allow my child/children to interpreter for me..

As for Margie, I can't image this.. I would never allow my children to interp for me. Not for my son's brain tumor appointments That is very important for me to have a R E A L interpreter not a fake!

Wendy

Margie said:
Margie

You are pathetic ! :eek: I would never let my two sons to do interpreter for me at the legal, medical, school meeting or other issues. They do not need to know about their parent's business. They are children as they need to be normal as other children. They do not need to be burden from the Deaf parents.

I always email with the teachers from my son's school. The teachers would rather not to burden on my sons to do interpreter. It cause conflict interest between their program at school and interpreter for their Deaf parents.

No Way !!

I agree that children should not be used in this way........

My kids did interpret for me when someone call here.. by phone.. My kids always say.. you have to use bell relay services *blah blah blah* then hang up.. they will promptly return call by through brs... that good...

and also Bank is simple not need hire an interpreter because only come by teller.. My kid will say. My mommy want cash. I refused tell my kid how much.. LOL
I write.. paper.. that is it.

rest other important appointment Dr or emergency hosptial ... *requires hire prof an interpreter*

likely not emergency or else.. as normal mall or shopping.. my kid will interpret for me.. simple ask question or other topic.. that plain.. My kid love shown off .. and want be best interpret.. *rolls at my daughter* she is improved as well but I do not rather reilable her.. no way..
I have 3 kids two boys are rustic asl 1 girl.. nicely but improved it lot.. no matter what.. I still applaud my 3 kids.. (chuckles)

i dont think children should be forced to bridge the communication gap... i hae nown alot of children who have cared for their parents... and they soon grow to resent missing out on a childhood many other kids have...

by the time i have children im not sure as to the level of hearing i will ahve... but... i dont think i would like my children to miss out on something because of my 'disability'

I will NEVER allow my kids to interpret for me.

They are KIDS and will remain KIDS. I want them to enjoy a normal childhood as much as possible and not be saddled with obligations/responsibilities.

I know a deaf couple who had 3 children and when they were young, they relied heavily on the children to interpret everything and it was so hard on them..it is so wrong in my opinion. One time i saw their then 11 year old girl was forced to go and visit a lawyer and had to interpret everything to them and she was so exhausted from that..when it was over, she ran to the bathroom down the hallway..i went there too and i heard her sobbing..i was so shocked..i said whats wrong? she said she was so exhausted from interpreting as it was hard to spell all the law terminology words to her parents (can u imagine that?)..that is just terrible i think..when she graduated from high school, she moved to the east just to get away from her parents! The other 2 younger ones left home early too! They are very resentful of their deaf parents....how sad that is?
I never forced my son to do interpreting at all, i always get an certified interpreter for anything important like medical, legal etc.

Defee said:
I know a deaf couple who had 3 children and when they were young, they relied heavily on the children to interpret everything and it was so hard on them..it is so wrong in my opinion. One time i saw their then 11 year old girl was forced to go and visit a lawyer and had to interpret everything to them and she was so exhausted from that..when it was over, she ran to the bathroom down the hallway..i went there too and i heard her sobbing..i was so shocked..i said whats wrong? she said she was so exhausted from interpreting as it was hard to spell all the law terminology words to her parents (can u imagine that?)..that is just terrible i think..when she graduated from high school, she moved to the east just to get away from her parents! The other 2 younger ones left home early too! They are very resentful of their deaf parents....how sad that is?
I never forced my son to do interpreting at all, i always get an certified interpreter for anything important like medical, legal etc.
you can try speak it out to their child of mother.. must stop reilable with children for interpreting all the time... child will grown up and may not have fun feel more everyday.

Bullym0m said:
you can try speak it out to their child of mother.. must stop reilable with children for interpreting all the time... child will grown up and may not have fun feel more everyday.
Well, me and my best friend tried to talk to the mother but she refused to listen!..look what happened now...all 3 kids grown up and gone far away from them now!! I dont blame them at all..they had a rough childhood..its too late now.

My boys is too young to be able to interpret, but I wouldn't rely on them to do that for me.. I prefer a certified interpreter and if I don't have one, I'll use a pen and paper to write back and forth. I can speak and read lips so it's not really a problem for me, I can communicate with others on my own just fine, I don't want to depend on my kids.

Back