Why does the deaf community seem so closed?

post #18 and 19#

unfortunately, breed bias leads to fear...we're now living with 2nd and 3rd Rotties and my experience has been that people often cross the street when I'm with one of my girls.

The black dog syndrome is based on people's mythical fear of "black"
people use to be a bit concerned about my Black Lab too. Not half as much as their fear of the my girls but it was still there

In terms the OP- d/Deaf people as a group have survived alot of hateful and hurtful things by the hearing majority and for some time in the U.S. relied heavily on each other as an insular community for support, news, friendship and connection. This is similar to many other ethnic communities in the United States, who were also barred from some types of "majority" participation. That sense of connection to varying degrees exists today.

post #18 and 19#

unfortunately, breed bias leads to fear...we're now living with 2nd and 3rd Rotties and my experience has been that people often cross the street when I'm with one of my girls.

The black dog syndrome is based on people's mythical fear of "black"
people use to be a bit concerned about my Black Lab too. Not half as much as their fear of the my girls but it was still there

Some people fear black cats too. Some people were really afraid of Finlay , I had crate delivered to my house for him and the UPS guy refused to bring the box into my condo when he saw my dog. I did feel very protected with Finlay .

<nodding> yeah that's right about the black cats...or people can also somehow feel that black cats are more "mysterious" somehow and be more prone to want to adopt on Halloween, which is why sometimes shelters will take special care during the Halloween time with their black cat adoptions.

If all lived nearer Dereck he would be surrounded by friends hot chicks I make sure of it.He be very popular in certain parts of the big city and they looking for Asl teachers aswel as bsl.Some sign communication course insist on that or deaf/blind ..There is a world outside Chicago ..I am told English chicks find signers sexy ,I have take there word for it...If take that step Dereck I know certain colleges that snap you up..I know of one that do different lanages like Welsh Latin etc and aimed at older people.
if got no ties travel.
I have to say many Americans are unaware of life outside America..feel free shoot me down

<nodding> yeah that's right about the black cats...or people can also somehow feel that black cats are more "mysterious" somehow and be more prone to want to adopt on Halloween, which is why sometimes shelters will take special care during the Halloween time with their black cat adoptions.

In England black cat lucky if run in front of you unless it running under car then not so lucky.i had one for many years I named him bbC big black cat.i gather unlucky in U.S.

Until I read it in AllDeaf, I never knew people were afraid of black dogs. We had two black Labs. We also had a wonderful black cat.

I had a black cat which I named Impy. I also had a mostly black cat (she had just a few small what patches). My youngest daughter got a black kitten after she moved to an apartment. I love black cats.

Until I read it in AllDeaf, I never knew people were afraid of black dogs. We had two black Labs. We also had a wonderful black cat.

I didn't either.

I have a black dog right now too.

Some people fear black cats too. Some people were really afraid of Finlay , I had crate delivered to my house for him and the UPS guy refused to bring the box into my condo when he saw my dog. I did feel very protected with Finlay .

I have people who avoid my cat like the plague because she is black. I keep telling people her under coat is red so she is really a super dark red but they think she is bad luck. Bad luck no, stupid yes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using AllDeaf App mobile app

I probably won't be getting another black cat though because almost everything I own is black. I can lose my cat 100 times in a day and she is in front of me like ' you are so dumb' and then she pops out. I need to buy more white things

See I already lost her again lol

Attachments

• 1451708827243.jpg
    1451708827243.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 18
My dad's cat. :)

1381798_10151717810166309_31985765_n.jpg

282592_10150238243336309_2448431_n.jpg

I didn't either.

From what I remember and/or told, I was afraid of black dogs as a very young child- but not for the reason most people cite. It was because (apparently...) before all my cataract surgeries were complete and before glasses at 2 most everything was blurry and way out of focus (since no lens in eyes) and 'seeing' something black moving towards me scared the poo out of me (either a cat or dog I have no idea).

I am fine as an adult though I still do not like big big dogs in general.

Many years later, one of my relatives had a black 'faux' poodle as we liked to say (part poodle part something else we don't know) who was black as well as a black cat- named Lucifer lol.

I have 2 black cats and one black dog (lab/border collie mix). I also had one other black cat who passed away years ago. I think they are just as beautiful as any other color.

So, OP, if you want to join the deaf community you need to get a black cat & a black dog. :D
This thread has gone to the dogs ... and cats. :p

So, OP, if you want to join the deaf community you need to get a black cat & a black dog. :D
This thread has gone to the dogs ... and cats. :p

But not the part that is afraid of black dogs....

I didn't either.

In old europe, more renessance, anyway.

A great magus, cornelious agrippa, ended his days with a black dog, and many legends became spun regarding the beast and the magus, whos work, the docrine of occult philosphy in three volumes (a fouth was attributed to him but has been.proven spurious) was the handbook grimiore for generations of asperent magickians of the western esotaric tradition.
Its essentially a compedium of general renasaince magick of the day,
The magus and his black dog, whom he would sleep the nights with and always keep by his side, became a lingering motife in how artists portrayed not only him,but other magai then in europe.
The demon dog
Ect
Also rotties are predominatly black, and that wasnt lost on.early christians facing the romans devil dogs..

I love black poochs.....

But

I love all pooches..
Mmmmmm...

Well..

Real pooches anyway....

Not so sure of chubs (pug chawawawawawa cross)
And things of that sort..

Last edited:
Back