Votes: 18 42.9%
  • Left hand

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Both hands

Votes: 22 52.4%
  • None (haven't learn it)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Voted both, altho I'm a bit sloppy with my left, but like most if my Right is currently busy... then left would have to do ;)

I use both for Auslan but I use ASL if one of my hands is busy.

Usually right, although I write left handed.

My granddaughter aged six, tries to convince me if there is a double letter like"LL" in the middle of a word, you should do both hands same time with the "L" and not repeat! :P

I'm right-handed, so I normally use my right hand but if necessary I can use my left hand. Reading left or right handed spelling doesn't make a difference to me.

I'm ambidextrous but do some things better with my right hand, which is a little more dominant...

My right hand was broken and in a cast when I started learning to sign. I had fallen over and tore my TFCC (a ligament that runs from the pinky down the forearm). So over the last 7 years I usually switch back and forth with my hands for which one is dominant for a conversation. When I'm teaching someone how to sign I'll use my left if they're right handed so they see a "mirror image".... and my camera strap actually holds my right hand on the camera grip so if I'm working my left hand is the only one free :)

75% of my signing is with right dominant though :)

I have a friend who is ambidextrous and has only recently started learning, she keeps switching hands until I insisted she pick NOW or forever confuse and aggravate people.

On a related question: what is the meaning of touching the wrist of the dominant hand while fingerspelling something? I had a teacher who did it several times and didn't get to ask why...

Right hand to fingerspell is the correct way. If a person who is left hand for writing can sign in left hand if they prefer to fingerspell that way.

Right hand is better so that the other signer does not get confused when reading the alphabet signs. :)

I have a friend who is ambidextrous and has only recently started learning, she keeps switching hands until I insisted she pick NOW or forever confuse and aggravate people.

On a related question: what is the meaning of touching the wrist of the dominant hand while fingerspelling something? I had a teacher who did it several times and didn't get to ask why...

When I'm voice off with some hearing friends who are just learning to understand ASL they can't get the sign with the right.... Somehow "like looking in a mirror" gets the point across. NEVER had a complaint from anyone - deaf, newbie, terp, or anyone. Maybe the alternative hand looks worse if it's covered in paint or something haha

Holding onto the wrist keeps new signers from "bouncing" their finger spelling. Lots of new signers bob their hand as they strike each letter. Some people do it worse than others. I'd never suggest to always hold your wrist if you can do it without but for those who give each letter 1-2 feet of air? Oy. Haha

I use my right hand most of the time but if I'm placing two people standing far away from each other or something like that then I sometimes fingerspell the left-side person/thing with my left hand. My left is much more clumsy than my right though (I'm right-handed).

Holding onto the wrist keeps new signers from "bouncing" their finger spelling. Lots of new signers bob their hand as they strike each letter. Some people do it worse than others. I'd never suggest to always hold your wrist if you can do it without but for those who give each letter 1-2 feet of air? Oy. Haha

Not holding it... touching the wrist just below the palm of the hand with the index finger of the non-dominant hand. This was the teacher doing this, remember...

Not holding it... touching the wrist just below the palm of the hand with the index finger of the non-dominant hand. This was the teacher doing this, remember...
Was she doing it between words?

It was a while ago, but he was spelling specific words out by doing it like that. I'm sorry, I don't remember why. I was talking to another teacher who knows him for a very long time last night and I completely forgot to ask her why...

I've seen people do the wrist thing, but instead of holding on, the person used their pointer finger to touch their wrist on the front part, facing the person they were signing to. I'll have to ask tomorrow when I see my teacher...hmm..

Back