whats wrong with my family?

I don't know the rules for NY but in SC, VRS and TTY/Captel relay equipment and service are free to all deaf and hard of hearing residents. The only requirements for the user is to either have a land-line phone service installed for TTY use, or to have high-speed cable installed for VRS use. That is, if your house doesn't have a land-line, then you can't use TTY, or if you don't have cable available then you can't use VRS.

or use texting messaging? :) I usually do that to communicate with my hearing mom or sis :) or anyone in particular lol ;)

I have iPhone 4, but I will warn you the purple relay app does not work well, I ended up deleting it. There are VRS apps, but I don't sign well enough to utilize it. I wish there was TTY tyPe of app for iPhone but no such luck.

I'm sorry your family doesn't get it that you can't hear on the phone. I text everyone with the exception of one person I either email or Facebook.

My mom is the same way. She still calls me all the time, even though I hate talking on the phone. I can manage a conversation with her because her voice is so familiar to me, but I still miss a lot of what she says. But what bugs me is that she's always saying, "why didn't you call so-and-so" or "such and such would love to get a call from you."

I have told her so many times that I refuse to talk on the phone anymore except for official business with my captel. Otherwise, she is the only person I'll talk to. I'm starting to think I need to cut her off as well, if it will make her understand that I can no longer communicate effectively on the phone.

What's wrong with my family?

vorsia...I cannot believe! I am severely VISION impaired & have the exact OPPOSITE problem?!! LOL NOONE,Literally will call me on the PHONE...and apparently everyone just wants to TEXT,especially my nieces?? WELL I CANNOT SEE to send or get texts! I walk with a white cane & do not drive,etc...I am just recently able to get on the computer,after getting a HUGE monitor & a vision impairment program. People that can hear or are sighted do NOT think about us...they just do what they do & do not realize HOW difficult everything is. In the case of your family,esp your Mom---maybe, in their defense, they just want to hear your voice? But,believe me,I have been complaining about all this TEXTING,since noone uses a phone to actually TALK on anymore!! LOL:giggle:

I am severely vision impaired & all anyone wants to do is TEXT me,which I CANNOT SEE TO GET OR SEND!! LOL Noone I know uses a phone to actually TALK on anymore.

they know im deaf they still call on the phone and talk to me like i can hear then say never mind im sick of this im going to stop talking to them ..my kids always have to yell out she cant hear you .....what should i do...:(

Just do what I do. If phone bother you, cause you stress, eliminate phone. Tell family and friends only email, text or chat. Does not always go 'smoothe' but take back your life and the rest will follow. :hug:

I dont have tty i just have a droid smart phone cell and i just put a relay app on my phone i hate at the moment ,do to the fact it always locks on me ...

Well, my point is, as long as you accommodate somebody who call phone
you, not text or relay, they'll continue to do that.

Fuzzy

vorsia...I cannot believe! I am severely VISION impaired & have the exact OPPOSITE problem?!! LOL NOONE,Literally will call me on the PHONE...and apparently everyone just wants to TEXT,especially my nieces?? WELL I CANNOT SEE to send or get texts! I walk with a white cane & do not drive,etc...I am just recently able to get on the computer,after getting a HUGE monitor & a vision impairment program. People that can hear or are sighted do NOT think about us...they just do what they do & do not realize HOW difficult everything is. In the case of your family,esp your Mom---maybe, in their defense, they just want to hear your voice? But,believe me,I have been complaining about all this TEXTING,since noone uses a phone to actually TALK on anymore!! LOL:giggle:
you are so right my mom dose it all the time sorry you have to go through the samething i edit my response do to the fact when im tired i type like a dumb person im by no means dumb anyways i feel you i know what you mean...

Last edited:
My dad always tries to call. When I see his name come up, I ignore it about half the time. I send him texts but he doesn't read them until like three or four days later. So I don't communicate with him unless necessary. Everyone else is pretty good about texting me though.

My dad always tries to call. When I see his name come up, I ignore it about half the time. I send him texts but he doesn't read them until like three or four days later. So I don't communicate with him unless necessary. Everyone else is pretty good about texting me though.

that's nice all the other people your in contact with text you, i did really notice my dad gets back to me late as well but not four days late thats bad he dose that to you .. my dad might wait till night time or some
thing like that..

My dad always tries to call. When I see his name come up, I ignore it about half the time. I send him texts but he doesn't read them until like three or four days later.

This is frustrating, isn't it. Don't you want just whack him in the head with the phone sometime...
:giggle:

Fuzzy

My dad would not know a text message on his phone if it jumped off and whacked him on the head!!!

This might be something you like, maybe not. Skype on computer allows video calls and text at the same time. If your family is being stubborn because they want things to 'feel more personal' maybe you could suggest they do skype. It is free and not bad. but this is only one option. I am sure there is a lot more out there I do not know. Maybe not a 'cure all' but maybe it will help a little? I hope so.

How old is he?

He is in his early 60's. Two years ago he swore he would never use Facebook, 6 month later he signed on and is a regular there. But text on a cell phone? forget it.

This might be something you like, maybe not. Skype on computer allows video calls and text at the same time. If your family is being stubborn because they want things to 'feel more personal' maybe you could suggest they do skype. It is free and not bad. but this is only one option. I am sure there is a lot more out there I do not know. Maybe not a 'cure all' but maybe it will help a little? I hope so.

The problem is asking people to use technology they are not already comfortable with. I was with my gf parents recently and my CI battery died. I did not have the replacement battery with me so I went sound off. I brought my iPad with speech to text and they refused to use it. Seems they wanted me to pretend to be hearing just for their comfort. I'm a pretty good lipreader so I just had them repeat everything 20 times and played Charades with them until I understood, then repeated the process! :) At the end I think they were more tired than I was. (guess who is more used to this crap?)

He is in his early 60's. Two years ago he swore he would never use Facebook, 6 month later he signed on and is a regular there. But text on a cell phone? forget it.
Interesting. I'm 60 years old, and I've been texting for years. I prefer it to voice phone (I'm hearing).

However, using Facebook on a regular basis? I can't keep up. :lol:

Does he have a phone with an easy to use keyboard? Sometimes that makes a difference for older people.

Interesting. I'm 60 years old, and I've been texting for years. I prefer it to voice phone (I'm hearing).

However, using Facebook on a regular basis? I can't keep up. :lol:

Does he have a phone with an easy to use keyboard? Sometimes that makes a difference for older people.

I suspect his real problem is he is a cheap ass. He buys the cheapest cell phone on the market and the cheapest phone plan. And, he will go out of his way to get the rebates or discounts if offered. He would drive over to the next town to get $1.50 taken off his phone bill. He earns more money than I do and he is retired! But on the plus side, I will get the $1.50 he saved when he passes on. If I can save up enough money for this Christmas, I might get him a better phone. Might make the difference with texting. Something to think about.

Back