What was the last movie you watched?

Agreed, that's a good movie.

You should try Stalingrad, The Lives of Others, Downfall, among the several others.

The reason that German films aren't widespread is because of American hollywood experimental movies that were shown to Germans during Allied occupation in the post-WWII... That's how the hollywood skyrocketed in 50s, and so forth.

Alternatively, I also recommend some Czech films, like Hotel Ozone, some works of Jan Svankmajer, Firmen's Ball, Witches' Hammer, and others.

i will note that, im a film student here...
also , try see Thick as Theives (swedish comedy its good!, and "Enemy at the Gates" war epic, in russia, Very Very good!,e bes one of the best (well imo) the best war film ive seen

i will note that, im a film student here...
also , try see Thick as Theives (swedish comedy its good!, and "Enemy at the Gates" war epic, in russia, Very Very good!,e bes one of the best (well imo) the best war film ive seen

Oh, I've had this DVD in my hands and asked myself, "Should I check this out?" I did checked it out and I definitely agree with you that it's very good. The scene that came to my mind when you mentioned the movie was when the main character hugs the pretty girl from The Mummy and then she looks outside from the building they were in. She goes *gasp* and then *GASP* again because what she seeing is the little boy throughout the movie hanging from a pole motionless. That scene was pretty intense and her facial expression of gasping seems very realistic! Anyway I thought viewing the movie will be a waste of time but it wasn't. Both snipers, good and bad were entertaining to watch.

I got a chance to watch "Roots: The Next Generations". It's all about the dynamics of post Civil War, WW1, Great Depression, WW2, Blacks Civil Rights movement in the 60's -- The lineage starts from Tom Harvey to Alex Haley.

I also got to watch "Left Behind" Trilogy - It shows about the Rapture, 7 years Tribulation and the rise of the Anti-Christ.

..and no i dont read feminsit literatures, as i probably should, but not enough time for reading about Everything...i need a life too, this is; not just scholarly life...but its fun to 'entertain curious thinking, it keeps me sharp, and keeps me 'thinking'...is all...

blame it on warped feminism, which is machoising females to be sadistics... im not sure why hollywood is doing that, 'programming females' to be aggressive killers? or some kind of "reverse denial' that its still a man's world, 'so-it's-okay-women-are-heros-and-fighters-in-the-silver-screen-too" sort of suble film-world campaign?? i wonder.... thing is, it pacifies women into play men's roles if they want equality, and if they don't then they are still the nurturing -weak women...
sexist roles is still very strong, despite 'role-switches'...its very intriguing...

Oh, didn't realize that the picture can be misinterpreted. In film, actor Liam Neeson was the heroic killer (he pursued all over France, because some Albanians robbed "travelling" women for the profits of sex trafficking). But you probably already knew that, and if not, I recommend this movie!

Yeah, had to agree... some feminists can be delusional. I've had two EXs (I think) who aborted... one deaf, one hearing. I drink in binge afterwards.

Personally, I prefer older generation of feminists, those pre-WWII era, because they do not show the sign of "modern feminism". For example, my grandmother is a feminist and she flew transport ship (think it was B-22 or bigger) during WWII. Ironically, being fierce christian fundamentalist, she bore 7 children (six girls, one boy the last one). That kind of 'pan-feminism' is dying by now.

Personally, I noticed that Europeans tend to be anti-feminists, unlike feminist American ones. Not sure why... well, I guess it has to do more with American clique of "equality and freedom". Still, my view on European culture changes from time to time, like Femen protests movement (Russian or Ukrainian, can't remember), and also Pussy Riot movements against Putin and Orthodox Church. Especially Putin, who is viewed as a revived tyrant Neo-Soviet dictator in “new Russia”.

What am I even talking about anymore. Oh yes. This is about the movie. Yes, I have lots of critics. One of them has to do with the trafficking issue... As usual, Hollywood just stereotypize and denies their actual American background, like one episode I watched on Oprah (mind you, I did not watch Oprah much, I was bored after getting home from school). The episode talked about trafficking from foreign countries into USA, which is more than what is actually known. That is one thing I hate about mass media in America, reports usually went unnoticed. Like, black on white crimes are very high, but they're not reported, while white on black crimes are too low, and that usually get the attention over the former one. Dunno wtf is wrong with the mentality. I can cite couple of examples, but I don't want to demoralize the deaf Americans here, lol..

Umm ok back to the point. Today is my off day work, and I have been drinking since 3 am or so, it's over 11 am right now. Taken movie... I recommend it! :)

..and no i dont read feminsit literatures, as i probably should, but not enough time for reading about Everything...i need a life too, this is; not just scholarly life...but its fun to 'entertain curious thinking, it keeps me sharp, and keeps me 'thinking'...is all...

Heh, I don't think I have read feminist literature either... *trying to think of one*

Well, now I think I don't really read female authors either... There aren't many out there, I think.

*taking a cigarette break*

Oh yes. Anne Rice and her Vampire Chronicles books. Great stuff. Ursula told me that the author has other anonymous author name... and she writes dirty books under that name. *thinking* That explains the erotic sensuality in the Interview with the Vampire movie...

Others... well, Ann Coulter comes to the mind, lol. Like her book Godless: The Church of Liberalism. As she commented on liberalism, she said 'All pretty girls are right-wingers"... lol. Thinking about it, that's probably true... I tend to notice that democrats are usually ugly hahaha!

Hmm, Laura Ingraham is okay. I've only read one of her early books, but I heard that her latest ones are popular (even on #1 New York Times bestseller list). Can't say much about her really.

*looking through my little library*

Ah yeah, The Book of the Penis by Maggie Paley. There is either alcohol or coffee stain on the paper side of enclosed book. I had this book, another one, and other textbook for Men and Women Psychology class studies. I remember... I wondered whether if the author is obsessed with penis or something like that. Probably why I spilled while I was drinking either one..

Also, The Vagina Monologues one. I think that is the only feminist book I have...

Animals with Translation: Using the Mysteries of Autism to Decode Animal Behavior is pretty good book. I think the author is autistic and she discovered similar environment with animals.

Margaret George books are great, especially if you are historian. So far, I have The Memoirs of Cleopatra (my favorite one, especially the part where Cleopatra had drunken sex with Mark Antony during the final battle siege of Actium by Octavius (Octavian, Caesar Augustus, whatever) before they retreated to Egypt. Henry VIII also very good. Mary Queen of Scotland and the Isles (after Henry VIII... and before Queen Elizabeth). Helen of Troy.

The Poisonwood Bible book is interesting one....

Okay, I better stop lengthening this post. I think the only feminist book I have is The Vagina Monologues, I've only covered the half of library. But you have the idea what tastes I have on female authors. Maybe you should start looking for the authors similar to your tastes? :) I know there aren't that many, but just saying hehe.

EDIT: The Psychology of Women and Men, now I remember.

Saw Skyfall last night. It's so-so. The storyline is too much common along other action movie/TV....

A film I had seen recently on Netflix was a small 1997 Russian gem called "Brat" aka "Brother." I'm sorry to say the lead actor died young when he and his film crew were buried by a glacier slide while filming another movie. Very talented actor...I'd buy this film if I could find it...and the sequel too.....

Brother (1997) - IMDb

Laura

A film I had seen recently on Netflix was a small 1997 Russian gem called "Brat" aka "Brother." I'm sorry to say the lead actor died young when he and his film crew were buried by a glacier slide while filming another movie. Very talented actor...I'd buy this film if I could find it...and the sequel too.....

Brother (1997) - IMDb

Laura

wow, i would too, yes, that's an honorable deed to do this. Sad too, but yah films, 'immortalise' talents and actors - if they deserve it, even the badled acted are immortalised because its showly normal people doing what they can't do, (not to be confused with elitism associated with talent) its just its fun seeing ordinary people try hand at acting, just to remind us, that acting is indeed, very difficult.

Back