We have many advantages of being deaf

bbaseballboy123

Reaction score
So just a little bragging rights for me as a deaf person.

List your bragging rights as a deaf person

- I went to a prom recently, speakers blasting all night, sure it was loud, but people next morning were complaining that they were still hearing rings in their heads lol.

- There was an after party, a few people complained a few others snored, loud

- Very quiet sleep

- Easy to study

- quickly gets rid of headaches

go on.

We post of many things.

I think one of my favorites is being able to sleep through thunderstorms.

But I have many other favorite things too.

sleep through thunderstorms sometimes works if there is no lighting and the thunder does not shake the bed sometimes.

No noise taking a shower and swiming. As a kid I do not understand why I would want to hear screaming kids in the pool.

Being able to turn your hearing aid/CI off on hearing people when you get mad at them I was....ummmm shall we say notorious for doing this as a kid...LOL
Being able to turn off crying babies.
Being able to turn off background noise when you're talking on a cellphone, by turning off the ear that's not being used to talk.

Getting salespeople in stores to leave me alone if I point to my hearing aid and shake my head no.

Being able to turn your hearing aid/CI off on hearing people when you get mad at them I was....ummmm shall we say notorious for doing this as a kid...LOL
Being able to turn off crying babies.
Being able to turn off background noise when you're talking on a cellphone, by turning off the ear that's not being used to talk.

Bold: I'm such agreement haha. I hate crying babies so much i turn the processor off.

I do love the t-coil feature on the n5, makes it so much easier hear in noise situations.

Sleep through anything - espeically thunderstorms, but not with the massive fukkin lightings, the room has huge windows.
Easy to get rid of headaches? Not for me.

Sleep through anything - espeically thunderstorms, but not with the massive fukkin lightings, the room has huge windows.
Easy to get rid of headaches? Not for me.

Yep, I can't sleep through lightning storms either. I've got big windows too. It's like I'm that much more visually aware of them. Which I think is common among the deaf. As long as it is ONLY noise (thunderstorms), I can sleep through that blissfully :)

Sleep when spouse is snoring.

It will come in handy when I take my train ride later this year. The first leg of the trip I will be sleeping in coach.

Deaf persons with Cochlear Implants can create silence anytime-just disconnect. Especially swimming from my direct experience.

Implanted A B Harmony activated Aug/07

It's interesting how many of the replies so far are about experiencing quietness or having a good night's sleep. Unfortunately my increasing deafness has given me increasingly loud tinnitus 24/7. I've never experienced quietness and the nosies in my head have gotten so loud that I no longer get a good night's sleep.

But the advantage I can point to is that I am more sensitive and understanding of other people's pain and sufferings. So my deafness has made me a better human being, not a defective one.

I'm another that likes sleeping through thunderstorms. This way there's less chance of being interrupted from a "good dream". :giggle:

It's interesting how many of the replies so far are about experiencing quietness or having a good night's sleep. Unfortunately my increasing deafness has given me increasingly loud tinnitus 24/7. I've never experienced quietness and the nosies in my head have gotten so loud that I no longer get a good night's sleep.

But the advantage I can point to is that I am more sensitive and understanding of other people's pain and sufferings. So my deafness has made me a better human being, not a defective one.

I love your last statement. What a wonderful world this would be if all could turn what at first appears to be adversity into such an advantage.

BTW, there is currently research being done on the brain and tinnitus. Going on the hypothesis that tinnitus in late deafened individuals is often the brain's way of compensating for lost sound by creating sound, research is now being done where the tinnitus is analyzed for tone. The person suffering the tinnitus then listens to classical music repeatedly over a period of time that contains a lot of the same tone as the tinnitus. The process retrains the brain to "ignore" that particular tone, and the tinnitus goes away.

This research is still in its infancy, but the premises behind the methods are sound, and it is showing promise.

Sorry, kind of went off topic there. I just thought this new development was very interesting and could be of great benefit to some of those that suffer tinnitus.

:hmm:that was very interesting about the tinnitus...

AJWSmith, I agree with Jillio about the significance of that statement of yours about sensitivity..:)

Relying on visual, I have trained myself to observe all the more closely. I can usually make a good assessment of a person as to whether they are trustworthy or not, whether or not they are lying through their teeth. Like a sugar-coated quinine pill.

Another sleep-related advantage -- guessing this is focused on tech-related advantages, since it's in the HA/CI section, so I'll put it in those terms (even though I think this applies to any deaf kid, aided or not): we've gone to see movies and live plays at the theatre and if my daughter loses interest or it's a bit late for her, she can drop her coil or turn off her CIs altogether, cuddle up, close her eyes and sleep peacefully despite being in the midst of a loud performance :) .

Same with naps or early bedtime -- our household has never had to be quiet to avoid waking the baby, and our very loud dog barks freely.

Back