Vardon Family to lose Extreme Makeover House

Kalista,
I am so sorry to hear about your dad's situation. I agree with you that it's best place for him at NEHD because they do have deaf services there. NEHD's number one.

I suggest you to talk to the Executive Director about this. Maybe he can help you with your dad's transfer to NEHD, a deaf nursing home from a hearing nursing home.

If everything fail and then, I suggest you to contact an attorney, if you can't afford to hire one and then, contact a free legal lawyer to fight your dad's rights, etc.

Please let us know how it went?

I wish you the best of luck! :)

Unfortunately, my Dad passed away on Dec 3rd, Wednesday night. His house was closing date, Dec 7th. The State took over the deed on that house to pay all of his medical expense.

Deaf couple's Extreme Makeover property is in danger of foreclosure

Full Coverage: Foreclosure possible for "Extreme Makeover" family

Deaf parents at the LEAP playgroup about the possible foreclosure of the Varlan family's Extreme Makeover home. We had little information at that time. She came across a news article about the Varlans' home yesterday while surfing on CNN.com. She saved the link, but Comcast's SmartZone (I call it DumbZone) messed up my emails. So She had to dig up for the link on Google.com. It wasn't exactly what she read yesterday, but it does explain the story in details.

Unfortunately, my Dad passed away on Dec 3rd, Wednesday night. His house was closing date, Dec 7th. The State took over the deed on that house to pay all of his medical expense.

Oh im so sorry to hear of your dad's passing, my deepest
condolences to you and your family!
That is bad enough for the state to take the house deed
to pay his medical bills but that is how Medicare and Medicad
works...they asked me the questions about my dad before he
died if he had anything worth like stock, CDs, house, property,
etc before they will pay for his medical bills..geez.

Extreme Makeover Family in Danger of Losing Home
Extreme Makeover Family in Danger of Losing Home - Real People Stories : People.com

Four years after Judy and Larry Vardon, a deaf couple with a blind, autistic son, captured the hearts of millions on Extreme Makeover: Home Edition, the couple fears losing their remodeled house.

The Vardons, who were featured in a Nov. 6, 2004, episode of the ABC series that set a rating record for the show, say that their mortgage payment has doubled since the show aired and they are facing mounting medical bills due to their son’s autism, according to the Associated Press.

"I'm afraid I'm going to lose my house now," Judy Vardon of Michigan, said. "This house really belongs to [our son]."

The Extreme Makeover team renovated the Vardon's 980-square foot house near Detroit to make is safer for their 16-year-old son, Lance. After the makeover, the couple refinanced their mortgage, and since then their monthly payments have nearly doubled to $2,300.

They also have debts of more than $20,000 due to Lance’s therapy, and are worried that Larry may lose his job at a Chrysler plant amid the economic crisis. "We didn't have bad spending habits," Judy Vardon said. "My husband got laid off for a time, and insurance wouldn't cover Lance's autism therapy and some other things like his vision and special dental work."

Judy says she remains grateful to the Extreme Makeover team for their help and that the family is working with a non-profit group to help negotiate a lower mortgage rate. "We're a close family that loves each other," she said. "I feel that I was given this life to show others that you can face these challenges."

Oh im so sorry to hear of your dad's passing, my deepest
condolences to you and your family!
That is bad enough for the state to take the house deed
to pay his medical bills but that is how Medicare and Medicad
works...they asked me the questions about my dad before he
died if he had anything worth like stock, CDs, house, property,
etc before they will pay for his medical bills..geez.

Yeah, it is very scared nowadays the state are over controlable with aging people. Their children or grandchildren would not get any will.

Oh my dear :hug: :(

I'm very sorry all about this and also loss of your beloved father.. :hug:

Hear Again....

It wasn't them that wanted makeover for their house...their oldest son did. (forgot his name). He is very concern for his little brother since he has autism and blind. He have a big heart for his brother and his parent. That's why he made a secret film without his parent or Lance know and sent it to ABC. And it was totally surprised them big time.

Anyway, health insurance ARE pain in ass for not covering this or that, and bills keep piling up. I hated that. I wish all insurance co should be all equal and covers what each person needs (such as surgery or medication or whatever...) My insurance don't cover one of my medication that I need take it daily but thank god for the program discount!

"We had 3 eye operations for Lance and his autism therapy. The medical bills are pricey for us. We just can not keep up with the medical bills and our mortgage bills at the same time."

if the vardon's had medical bills piling up, why on earth did they choose to go on extreme makeover?

epic fail!

<warning: current mood ---> irritated>

I'm very sad and feel for family after read the whole thread here... I really don't know what should I say...

One thing, I want to question about suddenly 11% interest... It got me :scratch:

Do they have agreement contract for loan with interest?

It's sad that they force to refinance for their son's therapy, etc. Refinance into mortgage is very bad idea... but worst is 11% interest??? over $2,000 monthly is too much...

I will view the video when I am home from work tonight.

I am puzzled too...why 11%?? Too much! Our is I think 6.5% I am not sure. And our payments isn't too bad and can afford than apt. :)

I am sad too for them. I wish I could help them out but I can't. if I am a millionaire and I will pay off their house and worry free. They can just focus on Lance.

I'm very sad and feel for family after read the whole thread here... I really don't know what should I say...

One thing, I want to question about suddenly 11% interest... It got me :scratch:

Do they have agreement contract for loan with interest?

It's sad that they force to refinance for their son's therapy, etc. Refinance into mortgage is very bad idea... but worst is 11% interest??? over $2,000 monthly is too much...

(shrugs) Deepest sorry for Vardon's family may lead into foreclosures. Isn't fair..

why do that their medical whooping too high expense of bills because of their son's condition.. why can't anyone who can help their family's medical expense condition.. Stupid company whoever kindly greedy for your own expense refused help the family who have financial problems.

It appears to me that the family was probably doing well until the medical issues started to happen. They then refianced a paid-off house into a new mortage to help pay for the bills then it reset once or reset a couple more times to 11%.

Anyone with an ARM would get low payments for a few years but if can't refiance before the reset happens, could get screwed... It's a risk some people take at closing.

I dont know what kind of mortgage they got but I hope they will get a fix rate mortgage so that way they wont ended up stuck. This is so sad to see someone using deaf or handicapped to get the ARM mortgage. I am lucky that I got a fix rate mortgage. I learn about those mortgage when I was in college and kept it in my mind and said only fix rate. So that what I got. I dont have to worry about ARM and the raising of the mortgage.

Deaf 'Extreme Makeover' couple gets financial aid
Television show - TV Show - Yahoo! TV

Several thousand dollars have rolled in for a deaf Michigan couple who feared they were going to lose the home whose renovation was viewed by millions on TV in 2004.

Judy and Larry Vardon say the money should help them avoid foreclosure on the Oakland County home that was refurbished to better accommodate their blind, autistic son. The family was featured on "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition."

The Macomb Daily and The Daily Tribune reported Sunday that the couple didn't request money, but donations started coming after media outlets this month reported on their plight.

The Vardons said they were weighed down by a mortgage payment that almost doubled since the makeover, and by medical insurance that hasn't covered autism treatment for 16-year-old son Lance.

It is a real pity that we dont get free health care like other countries.

it's not free though. you have to cough up more than 50% of your $$$

You are lacks to make information, not all countries are way like that when they offers universal heath care.

Universal health care means allows government to have power to control on medical cost and make less to spend on GDP.

Back