Using Sign Language Voice Off....

I have found, being voice-off in public is helping me a little more and more. When I consciously go voice-off, my brain seems to remember signs that it can't remember when I tell myself I can speak. At home, I am more PSE since I tend to sign as I speak, but at Deaf Club, I am learning to sign in ASL , and while out in public, again it is more PSE as I tend to sign as I think. Deaf Club does not mind me using PSE.

As noted before being "voice off" is part of the Trappist tradition. In so far as one's social interaction are with person's knowing "sign communication-ASL/BSL et al.- no problem whatsoever. The fall back position would be the use of pen/paper/portable laps. Again no problem-apparently. Then what?

Finally one can immerse oneself in the "quiet solitude" for a more "important activity"-thinking?

Implanted A B Harmony activated Aug/07

Last edited:
You got to be kidding me unless you have the same people that are familiar with your signs and not have people stare or blink at you. That is really rare. :hmm:

I was surprised too. But then again, I live in a very liberal city that embraces multi-culturalism and is accepting of differences. Same thing at the deaf together this weekend, despite that there were 12 of us signing, no one stared.

As noted before being "voice off" is part of the Trappist tradition. In so far as one's social interaction are with person's knowing "sign communication-ASL/BSL et al.- no problem whatsoever. The fall back position would be the use of pen/paper/portable laps. Again no problem-apparently. Then what?

Finally one can immerse oneself in the "quiet solitude" for a more "important activity"-thinking?

There is no thinking in meditation. Just so you know.

I'm hearing so i don't know if the question applies to me but I'm gonna say my piece: Sim-Com God, I hate it. :roll: If I speak and sign at the same time either my English is off or my signing is lousy. The two just don't mesh well.

Beowulf: I made no reference to meditation. To me "thinking" is different than meditation.

ASL has virtually nothing to do with the Trappist monks. :roll: Try to stick to the topic.

ASL has virtually nothing to do with the Trappist monks. :roll: Try to stick to the topic.

His post clearly states that he sees no problem, but only benefits with a voices-off practice, such as found by Trappist monks who are "voices-off." How is that off topic from the OPs' discussion of going voices off with ASL?

His post clearly states that he sees no problem, but only benefits with a voices-off practice, such as found by Trappist monks who are "voices-off." How is that off topic from the OPs' discussion of going voices off with ASL?

Okay then, I will venture that a cage full of screaming baboons conveys the exact opposite of voice off. Will I still be on topic? :giggle:

OP asked people who use ASL/voice off how they communicate with those who don't know sign language. his post is off-topic and does not answer her question.

OP asked people who use ASL/voice off how they communicate with those who don't know sign language. his post is off-topic and does not answer her question.

Looks like he did exactly that (answering the question):

Not sure if anyone noticed, but, to some people, sometimes certain posters have a lot of baggage that muddles with innocent posts of theirs.

Happens in real life, too.

My mom constantly rags on me for not being ladylike enough. "Wear some earrings, put on a little mascara, the other shirt looks more feminine on you" and so on. One day, she said "Where's your purse?". I automatically responded, "Oh god, just leave me alone! I don't have to carry a purse all the freaking time!!!!"

Turns out that I DID bring a purse that time and left it in the restaurant.

Baggage does that to ya.

Wirelessly posted

I am considering slowly transitioning to voice off most of the time. Any tips, hints, tricks etc.?

Wirelessly posted

I am considering slowly transitioning to voice off most of the time. Any tips, hints, tricks etc.?

:wave: Good for you! I am transitioning to completely voice off too. When I am at home, I just sign, but then my sister knows as much sign as I do, so I am in good company (maybe you need to find people to sign with where you don't have to "fall back on" voice). When I am in public, I sign and use pad and paper when signing fails (try to have other alternatives when communication starts to fail). When I am at work I still speak at times when I have to communicate a lot of technical details (don't know signs for those ideas) fast (can't use slower methods) in person (can't use email or instant messenger). I do have interpreters for meetings and training classes and go completely voice off at those times. Go at your own pace and understand that you will have limits, especially at first. I find going voice off to be very peaceful. Good luck.

Back