Treat Deaf babies with Cochlear Implants

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liebling:-)))

Sussi *7.7.86 - 18.6.09*
Premium Member
Reaction score
I got goose pimples when I read the message from www.taubenschlag.de (German language) yesterday. :tears:

5 months old baby received CI in Freiburg, then 2 days later 4 months old baby also received CI in Würzburg, too. :crazy:
We pray that it won´t be next to 3 months old baby!!!

We suspect that it´s something with "competition" do. Record guiness book?

The doctors believe it´s better to have CI an earlier than small children because of speech development. To me, it´s an excuse because they only think their own interests to be well-known in the world.

I believe that the children or adults should decide themselves either they want CI or not WITHOUT being force from their parents.

I would of agree to have my hearing sons to get CI when they become deaf tomorrow because they grow up knowing hearing world (only if they want it). I love them what they are because they are my sons.

Risk of Bacterial Menningiies in Children with CI
see www.netdoktor.de you can find it into English to read.

Babies? what do you think of?

I agree with you. This is something that shouldn't be done too soon. Seeing this done to babies brings me memories of The Matrix. Remember how it all started? Babies were put into incubators and all hooked up to wires? Well, imagine pushing a stroller through the park. People peek in and see a little baby with wires coming out if his/her head... :eek:

oh boy way to early for implanting.. what if the baby's is really hearing?

ear screening on babys are not 100% accurate.

On the other hand, maybe the babies had auditory nereopathy, which is a type of hearing loss where the ear works but the brain can't translate the speech signal accuratly. Hearing aids don't work for that type of loss. Maybe also, those babies had familial losses, where the hearing loss gets worse with every sib/generation (eg an older kid could be HOH and then the next sib could be profoundly deaf) But yeah in general it's too early to implant. I mean in the States, most CI centers require at least a six month trial with hearing aids before implantation. I agree with DeafScuba98, hearing screenings aren't 100% accurate! I've heard of cases where the ABR indicated that the kid was profoundly deaf, but later audiograms indicated that the kid was just HOH and could significently benifit from aids.

translated via google.com:

Who operates the youngest children?

Did a new contest among the physicians break out there? Ever in former times operates, the better! Of it HNO physicians are convinced if it concerns the Cochlea implant. Thus is that a best physician, who operates the youngest child? How would it be with an entry in the Guinness book of the records?

But in Ernst - and for jokes this topic is really too serious!

On 10 January www.netdoktor.de reported: Freiburg: World-wide youngest female patient receives hearing implant. Dr. Roland Laszig implantiert a five-month girl a reciprocal CI.

Today, on 21 January, the hessian general one reports: The youngest treated child was FOUR MONTHS old - operating surgeon: Dr. Joachim Mueller.

There the suspicion forces itself, it upon a "noble contest" among the physicians nevertheless really broke out. More badly still: "without aural acuity the Ankupplung is lost to them to the environment, exists the danger of emotional depletion." Well, there the gehoerlosen ones know finally, what with them is loose: They are uncoupled and emotional become impoverished of the environment!

Value and risks of CIs one can discuss. However also physicians should be able to look thereby over their medical edge of plate!

DeafSCUBA98 said:
oh boy way to early for implanting.. what if the baby's is really hearing?

ear screening on babys are not 100% accurate.

Exactly, look at my second baby, she failed at audiology test when she was 8 months old, because she always had ear infections!!!!!!!!!!!!

Today, she is 100% hearing, lucky I am not hurry!

RedRum said:
Exactly, look at my second baby, she failed at audiology test when she was 8 months old, because she always had ear infections!!!!!!!!!!!!

Today, she is 100% hearing, lucky I am not hurry!

I know, it´s the same with my 1st son, too when he was 6 months old. He´s too lazy to make the move when the doctor made the noise.
3 months later after that we brought him to doctor for the test. 100% hearing!

Boult,
Thank you for translate into English. Where you get those translation from because I can´t find anything at internet into English for the forums :D

Anyway what I wrote is what I know the news from taubenschlag & also share the views with my friends over those condition. We have the same opinions what I gave our views to the forums for you all to read & respond what you have your views over that situation.

Liebling:-))) said:
I know, it´s the same with my 1st son, too when he was 6 months old. He´s too lazy to make the move when the doctor made the noise.
3 months later after that we brought him to doctor for the test. 100% hearing!
yeah when my son's born they took screening test the next day he's born he's only 1 day old... he failed one ear.. passed other... now he passed both ears when i took him again whe he's 6 months old just 100% hearing

To be honest, its recommend to implant CI on babies for a higher rate of success in language, speech as the baby develop rather than waiting till the child is over 18 to make the decision because the opportunity for learning etc would be greatly reduced, I was told CI is better than hearing aid.

I believe at least 18 months old is preferable age to have this CI operation. I don't object seeing children having this operation, it shows parents love them so much and want the best for them.

I already met a 9 year old Deaf girl in Az last week. She told me she wished she never had CIs. Whoa!! Imagine a 9 year old saying that??

if I have a deaf son or anything... IF a doctor tries to put a CI on my baby... the doctor won't know what's coming at him... nobody is gonna touch my baby without my permission otherwise they'd be sowwy :nono:

pimpdaddyposse said:
if I have a deaf son or anything... IF a doctor tries to put a CI on my baby... the doctor won't know what's coming at him... nobody is gonna touch my baby without my permission otherwise they'd be sowwy :nono:
Of course, they will get your permission.

That is Why I said the Child reaches the age of 18 Should decide what's best for her or him... I think the Parents should stay out of it cuz they are not the one wearing it. I have heard parents say " i want my child to hear" thats what u want but what does the child wants? Do I make sense? I think the Child has the right to choose what her or him wants thats simple.

No, Cheri, it is not that simple. If it was that simple, there would not be a problem nor the never-ending discussions world-wide on this issue. :))

Tousi said:
No, Cheri, it is not that simple. If it was that simple, there would not be a problem nor the never-ending discussions world-wide on this issue. :))

Tousi, I know u disagree with me on this but look at this 4 months old baby That too early to know rather that baby is deaf or not..Ear screening on babys are not 100% accurate.

RedRum said:
waiting till the child is over 18 to make the decision because the opportunity for learning etc would be greatly reduced, I was told CI is better than hearing aid.

18? Who says that?
Ages make no difference as long as they DECIDE themselves either they want or not. The children has the same feeling as the adults.
Example:
My 8 years old son have floppy ears. He rejected my suggestion for have an operation before he goes his first school at 2 years ago. He has the FEELING when he was 6 years old! I brought those subject again & explain why at few weeks ago with the doctors recommend but his answer stay is: No! I respect his wish.
I respect your decision but I feel sorry for babies & small children because they can't defend themselves against their parents. The parents can do what they want because they know the babies/small children can't say no. What a sad.
I know for the sure that they will end to hate their parents for that when they learn that they were Deaf & also being pull by their parents into hearing world. Most I know are disgust against their parents. I don´t blame them.
The children without CI CAN learn to speak if they are WILLING do it.
The interpreter for the deaf told me the story what it put her off when she saw only 3 of 25 CI children at classroom are willing to learn speak or hear so she brought her 8 years old deaf son to meet CI children. It also put him off, too. She believes that it helps only if you are willing to learn to speak & hear. True because I also saw them myself.
Look at my friend wore hearing aid when she was 6 months old. She can speak like hard-hearing... She CAN choose to have CI if she really want to BUT she is happy with hearing aid.
I beleive the CI is suitable for people who lost their hearing or HOH to deaf.
I beleive the CI is suitable for deaf children to adults who are WILLING to learn to speak or hear or really want it.

I feel cry when I saw CI on their small head. My son tried to speak back of CI children but they can't hear him so he tried again to speak front of them but they do if they don't understand them, then they understand right way when my son use sign language & play with him. I feel cry when I watch my sons play together with CI children. As you see that they don't want to learn to speak or hear.

RedRum said:
To be honest, its recommend to implant CI on babies for a higher rate of success in language, speech as the baby develop rather than waiting till the child is over 18 to make the decision because the opportunity for learning etc would be greatly reduced, I was told CI is better than hearing aid.

I believe at least 18 months old is preferable age to have this CI operation. I don't object seeing children having this operation, it shows parents love them so much and want the best for them.

I understand what youre saying here RedRum...but however I belive in ' God ' God made you for who you are....No one should change the way they hear , look or etc....be happy for what you are ... :D

Some parent can't bear to have their child become deaf or any hearing lost they are scare to see the reduced in their child's language, speech or success in getting a great job....but none of that is true...I have friends who are sooo much smarter in language , speech and even got a very success jobs....Anyone could do it even people who can not hear..... :fingersx:

And I also believe each child has the right to make their own choice but they can not make it when they're younger.....

There can be problems with CI When they get older....Some of them do have problems and Some of them don't so I would say depending on each person (s)..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back