Teacher, Student Relationships

yizuman

Reaction score
After seeing a topic about abortion and sex education @ absenteeism in schools. A sudden thought is how can we properly educate students when we have a problem with what seems to be at a alarming rate of teachers and or persons with a position of authority in schools having sex with students who attend their schools?

What I am getting is at, what sort of message are the kids getting when kids hear about sex, abortion as well as absenteeism from the teachers and then turn on the news or even hear rumors about someone with a position of authority having sex with one of the students? I'm sure some thinks, "Why are they telling us to wait on sex and so so when they're picking up students and getting laid??"

Not only that, the double standards it brings when a male student have sex with a female individual with a position of authority and the males just laugh it off, high five each other and think it's all cool, but when a male individual with a position of authority has sex with a female student, all hell breaks lose??

Thoughts?

Yiz

Ummm...I think the thread you are referring to was about abstinence education, not absenteeism. Two very different things.

Personally, when compared to the number of teachers nationwide, the few that are crossing those boudaries are a very small minority. The only reason you think there are more of them is because the media splash the stories all over.

Ummm...I think the thread you are referring to was about abstinence education, not absenteeism. Two very different things.

Oops, wrong spelling, sorry, I didn't know how to spell it and tried Google. LMAO

Thank you, I stand corrected.

Personally, when compared to the number of teachers nationwide, the few that are crossing those boundaries are a very small minority. The only reason you think there are more of them is because the media splash the stories all over.

Well it seems alot, looking up the numbers on Google, one hit came up with this, still looking at more, but this will do in the meantime until I find better information or at least more reliable....

Let's start with not only what, but who we're all most familiar with....

Mary Kay Letourneau -- "Mary didn't take away my childhood. I gave it away by consent. I knew what I was getting into. She knew what we were getting into. I don't feel one bit in my whole entire body that she ever raped me. I don't love her because she's 30 years old and she doesn't love me because I'm 15 years old. We love each other for who we are. "Do I plan to marry her? Yes, I plan to marry her. She's my world, she's my life, and they all know that I have her ring on still, and it's never going to change."

WA teacher convicted of sexually exploiting minors -- A high school teacher was convicted of 10 counts of sexually exploiting minors. Dennis Peterson, 50, persuaded several teenage girl students at the Sequim Community School to pose nude for photographs he then, in one case, sent to an Internet Web site. Peterson was convicted after a 5 day trial. He faces up to 190 years in prison when sentenced by US District Judge Franklin Burgess in Tacoma, WA on March 15, 2002.

In girls sports in Washington, 159 coaches have been reprimanded or fired for sexual misconduct in the past decade. And 98 continued to coach or teach — as schools, the state and even some parents looked the other way. Read the response about how school districts and the teachers' union tried to keep the records secret.

Wow, 159 coaches, that's a number there. The news still keep popping out more teachers being busted for what it seems like to me at a rate of 2-5 stories a month from all over the United States and they add up when you figure for the entire year.

Thoughts?

Yiz

In the state of Florida they are currently trying to pass a law that will give teachers or school authorities a stiffer sentence that crosses the line with students sexually.

Oops, wrong spelling, sorry, I didn't know how to spell it and tried Google. LMAO

Thank you, I stand corrected.

Well it seems alot, looking up the numbers on Google, one hit came up with this, still looking at more, but this will do in the meantime until I find better information or at least more reliable....

Let's start with not only what, but who we're all most familiar with....

Wow, 159 coaches, that's a number there. The news still keep popping out more teachers being busted for what it seems like to me at a rate of 2-5 stories a month from all over the United States and they add up when you figure for the entire year.

Thoughts?

Yiz

This is true...159 does seem like a lot. But that is still less than one percent of all the teachers in the nation.

Ok so there's a law for stiffer penalties, but what can we do to screen potential predators?

Background checks doesn't always filter them out and at best not 100% reliable as many never had priors.

What about psychology tests? Are they effective? Too time consuming? Too cost effective?

Thoughts?

Yiz

I am not sure what to think the difference between having a student dating with the teacher than those who are adults that was dating with the minors?

One might have to consider that in a highly digital world... in a nation where it seems like lawsuit is only a trigger hair away...

Has it really "increased" or just more "exposed"? I used to think the same way, til mom pointed out things like that during the '60s were swept under the rugs and kept behind closed doors out of family shame.

whoever teachers crosses the line with a student will be facing fired and a big time fine and long sentence in jail now.. but sure.. I wish teachers doesn't look for something in wrong way shouldn't not hit on students til they actually HAD graduated from high school :P but hell.. today teachers are a bit insane doing stupid things thinking they wud never get away with anything well they are dead wrong in end.. :)

Glad I don't have to worry about my kids regarding this, especially here in Florida. That's part of why I home school.

After seeing a topic about abortion and sex education @ absenteeism in schools. A sudden thought is how can we properly educate students when we have a problem with what seems to be at a alarming rate of teachers and or persons with a position of authority in schools having sex with students who attend their schools?

What I am getting is at, what sort of message are the kids getting when kids hear about sex, abortion as well as absenteeism from the teachers and then turn on the news or even hear rumors about someone with a position of authority having sex with one of the students? I'm sure some thinks, "Why are they telling us to wait on sex and so so when they're picking up students and getting laid??"

Not only that, the double standards it brings when a male student have sex with a female individual with a position of authority and the males just laugh it off, high five each other and think it's all cool, but when a male individual with a position of authority has sex with a female student, all hell breaks lose??

Thoughts?

Yiz

If you ask me, I think the number was a WHOLE lot higher back in the old days before restriction on minors stepped in. Just that no one really talk about it.

Glad I don't have to worry about my kids regarding this, especially here in Florida. That's part of why I home school.

unfortunately, Some kids are homeschooled for the wrong reason, even though doesn't matter if they were homeschool or not, illegal behavior with minors happen at home no matter what.

unfortunately, Some kids are homeschooled for the wrong reason.

That is true - but I am thankful that I have the support of the local teachers for my decision to homeschool. My son could probably benefit from public school, but not here in this district and he won't go to a residential school. He tends to be "my protector". He worries about me and wants to make sure I am fine.

Even though we have issues about him getting schoolwork done, He took a test recently at a local public school to see where he would be placed and it said that education wise, he was at a 12th grade level in everything except science. Not bad for a 14 y/o.

That's not foolproof, a simple cut to the band and he/she disappears, never to be found again.

The best way imho is putting them to death. Why keep them alive at the expense of taxpayer's money, giving them things that we as law abiding citizens work our asses off for when they don't have to. How is it that fair?

For most sex offenders that get out of prison, re offends again.

Yiz

That's not foolproof, a simple cut to the band and he/she disappears, never to be found again.

The best way imho is putting them to death. Why keep them alive at the expense of taxpayer's money, giving them things that we as law abiding citizens work our asses off for when they don't have to. How is it that fair?

For most sex offenders that get out of prison, re offends again.

Yiz

I don't agree with this. Unless they murdered a girl (and have at least three witnesses PLUS evidences to prove this. I don't generally believe in death penalty unless we are absolutely sure this person is guilty without a question). The last thing we want is predator to cover their guilt by killing because they afraid of death penalty.

I think they should be instituted for life because they are harm to the society and not mentally right in their head. I don't mind paying my tax money for it.

Our board doesn't pressure abstinence on students. Birth control is available... no questions asked. It is not up to the schools to provide students with a ready-made opinion. Yes, we do have sex education but it teaches students how to use birth control properly. The system here doesn't enforce beliefs on a student. The Catholic board might, but the public board sure doesn't.

I don't agree with this. Unless they murdered a girl (and have at least three witnesses PLUS evidences to prove this. I don't generally believe in death penalty unless we are absolutely sure this person is guilty without a question). The last thing we want is predator to cover their guilt by killing because they afraid of death penalty.

I think they should be instituted for life because they are harm to the society and not mentally right in their head. I don't mind paying my tax money for it.

The recidivism rates can vary especially across the board, Nevada being the best in the country.

You as many others on this board (including me) can't say for sure what is the best treatment for them.

Back