Speech reading lessons

Hearing

The bar we were at was very very very full of people. Drinks were being served at a high pace all night long.

That is actually what I was guessing. I was really wondering if it was one of your ASL students.

She was probably drunk and I obviously did something to make her mad the problem is I don't know what I did...

Maybe they'd been asking you to (from the next stall) to pass you some toilet paper a number of times and thought you were ignoring them ??

I've had that happen (weird that hearing people hear through walls !)

Maybe they'd been asking you to (from the next stall) to pass you some toilet paper a number of times and thought you were ignoring them ??

I've had that happen (weird that hearing people hear through walls !)

:laugh2: Thats what I thought

As for PFH he has been a lot of help actually, and to be honest I have turned into his own personal matajan
:laugh2:

That sense of humor will carry you through your journey. I can tell that you'll do well. :D

I have noticed as time goes on, that my ability to read lips is getting worse. I am understanding less and less of conversations these days. Makes for some very angry people, namely my MIL.

I have noticed as time goes on, that my ability to read lips is getting worse. I am understanding less and less of conversations these days. Makes for some very angry people, namely my MIL.

I'm sorry to hear that kristina. What's changed that you're having a harder time with reading lips? Anything we can help with?

I'm sorry to hear that kristina. What's changed that you're having a harder time with reading lips? Anything we can help with?

I'm not sure what is causing it. I don't know if it's the sloppy speech patterns of Floridians or something with me. I still do mostly well with hubby, mother and kids. But, most anybody else it is getting harder and harder. Too many people are sloppy, talk with food in their mouth or just make weird faces while trying to talk. It's the way most of the people are here. Maybe it's just this area of Florida, but I don't know.

... I really only read every third word, which ties into that 30% English, because hearies use so many words that are not relevant.:giggle: You can pick up the conversation with very few read words.

Er...not true. You might get the gist of the conversation but miss some important information. In general, they use the language as it is supposed to be used to get across their meaning. On the other hand, there are always a couple of "windbags" in every crowd. Most people don't like to "waste their breath" if they can help it. Of course, some conversations are simply "filling" the spaces where nothing important is being said. Nobody can convince me it is any different for ASL types. Language is language the world over.

Here is the interesting aspect of conversations...If you know the person well, you don't have to elaborate as much. If you don't know the person well, you tend to use more formal and longer phrases to reduce misunderstandings. This is because the former have common experiences and know each other better.

Oh ok sorry I got confused, I'm sorry to hear that, its very frustrating!

Ok so I went to a late d/hh meeting on speech reading friday night well needless to say I was the youngest person there by about 20-30 yrs and bored out of my skull.
LOL....Oh yeah I hear you. I do think that there's a difference between old age late dhh and young adult late dhh........you know I really do think that young adult dhh folks are now tending to identify more with ASL and Deaf culture, b/c they see it as something really cool and fun..like they may have grown up with dhh kids in their classes, and had exposure to ASL and Deaf culture as something "fun" and cool.

Back