Speech reading lessons

Oh and I totally hear you about the HLAA approach being boring. I actually got banned from their messageboard b/c I dared to suggest that the reason why young dhh weren't members was b/c their approach was so boring. I mean there's just so many times you can talk about How the Ear Hears and How to Read an Audiogram and the Latest Hearing Aid/CI.
It can be helpful.....but comparing it to the Deaf Culture approach is like comparing one of those low vision health groups (for people who have lost their sight) which features Rehab stuff vs a group for the Blind......meaning they have info on low vision aids and stuff but they also have a community and talk about Braille and cane usage and how to adapt to being blind by other methods besides just using low vision aids.

Er...not true. You might get the gist of the conversation but miss some important information. In general, they use the language as it is supposed to be used to get across their meaning. On the other hand, there are always a couple of "windbags" in every crowd. Most people don't like to "waste their breath" if they can help it. Of course, some conversations are simply "filling" the spaces where nothing important is being said. Nobody can convince me it is any different for ASL types. Language is language the world over.

Here is the interesting aspect of conversations...If you know the person well, you don't have to elaborate as much. If you don't know the person well, you tend to use more formal and longer phrases to reduce misunderstandings. This is because the former have common experiences and know each other better.

My experience is different.

I agree lip reading can be exhausting! I had one speech therapist tell me had a woman come to her that lost her hearing and she wanted to learn lip reading. The woman was exhausted trying to learn how to read lips
Hearing people always ask me if I read lips , they have no idea it can be exhausting to do!

I can imaigne. I end up with headaches and achy face after a full day of lipreading. It's exhausting and at times lipreading is a guessing game from hell. Accents don't help either. I used to have a coworker who spoke with a strong Boston accent and she didn't think I could lipread because I wasn't use to accent like her.

Accents are difficult. And grocery store baggers who speak into the bags. lol

Oh and I totally hear you about the HLAA approach being boring. I actually got banned from their messageboard b/c I dared to suggest that the reason why young dhh weren't members was b/c their approach was so boring. I mean there's just so many times you can talk about How the Ear Hears and How to Read an Audiogram and the Latest Hearing Aid/CI.
It can be helpful.....but comparing it to the Deaf Culture approach is like comparing one of those low vision health groups (for people who have lost their sight) which features Rehab stuff vs a group for the Blind......meaning they have info on low vision aids and stuff but they also have a community and talk about Braille and cane usage and how to adapt to being blind by other methods besides just using low vision aids.

:gpost:

Exactly! And they use the term hearing impaired... I'm sorry but I HATE umbrella terms like that, I find it to be insulting and it just hits a chord with me

I can imaigne. I end up with headaches and achy face after a full day of lipreading. It's exhausting and at times lipreading is a guessing game from hell. Accents don't help either. I used to have a coworker who spoke with a strong Boston accent and she didn't think I could lipread because I wasn't use to accent like her.

Ya, I like guessing games but not this one :giggle:

Uh? Where did anyone mention in this thread HLAA?

I'm not sure what is causing it. I don't know if it's the sloppy speech patterns of Floridians or something with me. I still do mostly well with hubby, mother and kids. But, most anybody else it is getting harder and harder. Too many people are sloppy, talk with food in their mouth or just make weird faces while trying to talk. It's the way most of the people are here. Maybe it's just this area of Florida, but I don't know.

Wish I could meet you, Kristina...then we could "read each others lips"! j/k ...but anyhow, I've been lip-reading/speaking since the late 60's....became very fluent. Speech among hearies has changed a lot, they use one or 2 words at times, instead of a sentence. (Especially teenagers).
Lip-reading takes it's toll on ur eyes, no doubt about it. Headaches from concentration. Plus, some of the "garbage" people do speak, I just turn them off! After all these years, my eyes are very tired!...So, ASL does come in handy at home....
I wouldn't worry too much about it....Near the end of the day, my eyes are tired.

Pretty easy to guess the group when you say it was for late deafened. Do you know a lot more groups Love Blue?

No, but it wasn't specifically mentioned in the OP and therefore she was guessing.

I don't like the way she puts down HLAA. If she doesn't like HLAA then why is she a member of the forum (and no, I don't think she's currently banned because I saw her on the forum recently).

And I find it rude of her to go onto the HLAA forum and tell us that we're old (there are young people who belong to HLAA and use the forum), that the HLAA "Hearing 101", etc.

How do you feel when people come to AllDeaf and put down the site and the members? No need to tell me, I've seen it myself and I don't like it either (the posts that put down Deaf/AllDeaf.com).

No, but it wasn't specifically mentioned in the OP and therefore she was guessing.

I don't like the way she puts down HLAA. If she doesn't like HLAA then why is she a member of the forum (and no, I don't think she's currently banned because I saw her on the forum recently).

And I find it rude of her to go onto the HLAA forum and tell us that we're old (there are young people who belong to HLAA and use the forum), that the HLAA "Hearing 101", etc.

How do you feel when people come to AllDeaf and put down the site and the members? No need to tell me, I've seen it myself and I don't like it either (the posts that put down Deaf/AllDeaf.com).

Who was putting down the HLAA? I think I missed something here. Do they actually have a forum too?

This is what I'm talking about.
Yes, HLAA does have a forum. No, it's not as active as AllDeaf, but I like it and the people I socialize with on it.
They also have a forum for the younger crowd (so, NO it's not just for OLD people). hearinglossnation.org

This is not the first time DeafDyke as put down HLAA and I'm sure it won't be the last time.

LoveBlue, I'm glad you put up that link to that "...lossnation" section. I'm curious to look at it. My experience with our local HLAA is that it is very focused on "hearing health", technology, speechreading and that there is an age disparity. ASL and Deaf culture are not addressed or significant. That, for me, makes it less likely that I will be involved in HLAA. That does not mean there's anything "wrong" with the association as a whole, or the people, it just means it doesn't seem that the larger agenda of the org. serves me personally.
Though I am curious of that one section you mention, :ty:

LoveBlue, I'm glad you put up that link to that "...lossnation" section. I'm curious to look at it. My experience with our local HLAA is that it is very focused on "hearing health", technology, speechreading and that there is an age disparity. ASL and Deaf culture are not addressed or significant. That, for me, makes it less likely that I will be involved in HLAA. That does not mean there's anything "wrong" with the association as a whole, or the people, it just means it doesn't seem that the larger agenda of the org. serves me personally.
You're welcome.

I've never been to an HLAA meeting so I don't know if I'd like it or not, but I do like the people on the forum and am looking forward to meeting some of them at this year's convention.

I'm not trying to "promote" HLAA because I know it's not for everyone. I just get tired of some here who "demote" it.

I personally wasn't trying to put them down, just saying the experience wasn't for me, I felt out of place and was bothered by some of the text. I didn't know they had a forum. The specific 'meeting' I went to did seem to be directed at an older crowd but at the same time I know its probably not as common for someone my age to start loosing their hearing.
Sorry if I offended anyone by my jokes, I make a lot of bad ones...

:gpost: Can I just say ditto :giggle:

Back