Speech reading lessons

I see what you're saying.
no offense on my end-

I see what you're saying.
no offense on my end-

Whew :D I'm not here to step on anybodies toes, just here to learn from anybody willing to lend advice, but I do have a tendency to say the wrong thing (I have no filter, I asked Santa for one and only got coal)

I don't know if it would help in the reverse fashion, but for me, I retain language better if I am able to practice with someone, and keep fresh with different speech patterns and such. Would it possibly help to like skype with someone who can ... I don't know ... type a sentence out and then speak it? Then you would know what they are going to say and see the inflection they put into different words? Not sure if this sort of thing would help you at all to better read lips, but I think in an isolated situation where you could just get used to reading lips, looking out for things, etc, instead of people just throwing sentences at you in public, might help. Just a thought. I would be willing to help if you think it would.

I personally wasn't trying to put them down, just saying the experience wasn't for me, I felt out of place and was bothered by some of the text. I didn't know they had a forum. The specific 'meeting' I went to did seem to be directed at an older crowd but at the same time I know its probably not as common for someone my age to start loosing their hearing.
Sorry if I offended anyone by my jokes, I make a lot of bad ones...
You didn't. Your OP didn't even mention HLAA. Someone else brougth up HLAA (in a negative light).

Enough. Let's get back on topic. :)

Blank Canvas, yes I am psychic! :D HLAA is the most obvious organization.....perhaps I should have said "HLAA"-like organization
LoveBlue, you're misinterpreting my stance. I never said the people at HLAA were boring. I said the APPROACH was really not exactly interesting for many young people, since we've had that approach from life. The people are nice and it's a nice community and it is right for some......but unfortunatly the hearing health approach can be kind of dull, and not right for many people.

I find lipreading easier when it's assisted with sign. (of course, not many people know how to do that, but anyway). Yes it gets harder as you loose more and more hearing, since many little clues come from hearing. I pretty much can understand my family, but not really anyone else. I work with people in a computer lab and generally can catch one or two words (think 'password', 'reset', 'printer') etc and I just go over to their computer to see what is the problem. Practicing helps, but really only with people who you will be reading a lot (spouse, kids, close coworkers). Practice with them first, and then move on to others if you have time/motivation.
*EQL*

I find lipreading easier when it's assisted with sign. (of course, not many people know how to do that, but anyway). Yes it gets harder as you loose more and more hearing, since many little clues come from hearing. I pretty much can understand my family, but not really anyone else. I work with people in a computer lab and generally can catch one or two words (think 'password', 'reset', 'printer') etc and I just go over to their computer to see what is the problem. Practicing helps, but really only with people who you will be reading a lot (spouse, kids, close coworkers). Practice with them first, and then move on to others if you have time/motivation.
*EQL*

Oh I completely agree I have one friend who signs when she talks I understand her perfectly! My sign is not great but I'm working on improving it.

With my HA's I can 'hear' speech but its like listening to people in another room with a thick wall stuck between us! (can't make out a word,think charlie brown lol) But thats only in quiet environments very very quiet ones, I am still learning to hear with them, all this time I was under the impression that hearing aids made people hear 'normal' (for lack of a better word) and that is so not the case.

And as quickly as my hearing is dropping I know it will just get more difficult, was hoping speech reading lessons would be the answer haha

Oh I completely agree I have one friend who signs when she talks I understand her perfectly! My sign is not great but I'm working on improving it.

With my HA's I can 'hear' speech but its like listening to people in another room with a thick wall stuck between us! (can't make out a word,think charlie brown lol) But thats only in quiet environments very very quiet ones, I am still learning to hear with them, all this time I was under the impression that hearing aids made people hear 'normal' (for lack of a better word) and that is so not the case.

And as quickly as my hearing is dropping I know it will just get more difficult, was hoping speech reading lessons would be the answer haha

unfortunately thats a common misconception. I also lost my hearing pretty fast too, which may be why I can't lipread strangers very well. I do know how you feel about the classes. The ones in my area dont even allow people under the age of like 45 or 50 to attend. I have one CD that i find fairly helpful called "Seeing and Hearing Speech". I've never done private lessons. I was tempted but just don't have the time or money being in university and all.
*EQL*

Since my deafness was discovered at 7 months old, I have been trained to speechread since then. At 38 years old, I still dont have full access to spoken English via speechreading and get headaches at the end of a day of speechreading. It is very very mentally exhausting!

I can imaigne. I end up with headaches and achy face after a full day of lipreading. It's exhausting and at times lipreading is a guessing game from hell. Accents don't help either. I used to have a coworker who spoke with a strong Boston accent and she didn't think I could lipread because I wasn't use to accent like her.

Yes, I experience that a lot. Just yesterday, I had to spend the whole day and into the evening (a total of 13 hours!) lipreading Thai and another language other than English, and these are languages I am not fluent in yet, but had to translate as much as I could to English for my notes.

p.s. It is even worse when I have to combine lipreading with speaking too.

Back