Soon the government check won't be in the mail

Sosie

Reaction score
Before too long, the government check will no longer be in the mail.
Officials have settled on the dates when millions of people will no longer be able to get their Social Security and other benefit checks by mail.
New recipients of benefits will have to accept paperless payments starting on May 1 of next year, three months later than first proposed.
Those already on Social Security will have until March 1, 2013 to make the switch to direct deposits or a debit card.
More than 58 million retirees, disabled people and surviving family members receive Social Security or Supplemental Security benefits. Already eight out of 10 people getting federal benefits receive those payments electronically, officials say.
The switch to electronic payments will eliminate the problem of lost or stolen checks and also the problems faced by people displaced from their homes who have to worry about getting their checks mailed to them, said Richard L. Gregg, the Treasury Department's assistant fiscal secretary.
"Even though we have done a good job of encouraging people to switch over, we still are making 120 million payments by mail for Social Security every year and another 15 million annually for veterans and other types of benefits," Gregg said.
Every year, the government has to process about 600,000 claims for lost or stolen checks. Social Security will save $1 billion over the next decade from phasing out paper checks, he said.
The final rules, scheduled to be unveiled Tuesday, are very similar to the proposal the government put forward in June.
But in response to public comments, the government has decided to allow people who are 90 and over and are still getting Social Security benefit checks to continue to receive their benefits the same way. The government estimates there are 275,000 people who fall into that category.
For people who do not have accounts at a bank or credit union, the government has an option that allows them to use a Direct Express debit MasterCard issued by Comerica Bank, Treasury's financial agent. More than 1.5 million people have obtained these cards, which were first issued in 2008.
In addition to the automatic waiver from electronic payments for those 90 and over, people living in remote areas who might have trouble getting to a bank can also petition for a waiver from the new rules. Gregg said that the government expects fewer than 1 percent of current benefit recipients will petition for a waiver.
Social Security Commissioner Michael J. Astrue said that people should not wait until the deadlines to make the switch to electronic payments.
"Switching now eliminates the risks of lost and stolen checks and provides immediate access to your money on payment day," Astrue said.
The new deadlines for the switchover were announced by Treasury's Financial Management Service, the agency that processes payments for the federal government.
Congress passed a law in 1996 giving the agency the power to halt mailing paper checks for all government payments outside of refund checks from the Internal Revenue Service.
To help with the switchover for those still getting paper checks, the government has created a website, Go Direct: Direct Deposit for Social Security & Federal Benefits and a toll-free phone number, 1-800-333-1795, that people can call for assistance.

I get my SSDI payments by direct deposit so no mailed checks won't affect me. works great!

My disability check is direct deposited and my mother's retirement check is direct deposited. My MIL does not trust anything being done as a direct deposit. She also refuses any kind of debit card or such. She doesn't own a debit or ATM card at all. One credit card only. She writes checks wherever she goes or cashes a check at the bank and pays in cash. She will have a problem with this. Luckily, I will not be here to deal with it since we are moving in May of this year.

My disability check is direct deposited and my mother's retirement check is direct deposited. My MIL does not trust anything being done as a direct deposit. She also refuses any kind of debit card or such. She doesn't own a debit or ATM card at all. One credit card only. She writes checks wherever she goes or cashes a check at the bank and pays in cash. She will have a problem with this. Luckily, I will not be here to deal with it since we are moving in May of this year.

I know what you mean- my mother is same way. her reasoning is she wants a real person to talk to in bank and she "thinks" she is saving a job. I told her - WHATEVER - just have it direct deposit and go to bank in person and wait for bank teller to "withdraw" all the money to do what you please. she thinks its wrong. she refuses to get a debit card either. I told her its same as atm card. just easier to keep track of things. she wouldnt hear of it. SO what are eyou gonna do but just let it go?:hmm:

I guess this is one of the generation gaps going on here. :roll:

I'm moving away and she will have to deal with it.

I used to work at Walmart Money Center, you can get prepaid money card that is like a debit card but not attached to a bank. Has your name on it and is safe even if stolen and you can get direct deposit on to it.

Info: https://www.walmartmoneycard.com/walmart

Not sure about "safe",,, a friend got his wallet stolen with his Walmart debit card in it,, guess what,, he can't withdraw any money or anything until new card comes in mail,, that took 2 weeks!

Of course,,, bye bye Walmart, hello Chase Bank!

P.S. this happened about a month ago.

Not sure about "safe",,, a friend got his wallet stolen with his Walmart debit card in it,, guess what,, he can't withdraw any money or anything until new card comes in mail,, that took 2 weeks!

It is good option for people who do not want a bank account. I just closed my Chase account due to far too many fees. I loved WAMU, hate Chase.

Your friend has no common sense.

It is good option for people who do not want a bank account. I just closed my Chase account due to far too many fees. I loved WAMU, hate Chase.

Didn't you know that WAMU changed to Chase.. So they are same company but only changed the name.

Didn't you know that WAMU changed to Chase.. So they are same company but only changed the name.

To clear it up a little bit. Chase bought out Washington Mutual and became Chase where WAMU banking centers were...even the WAMU tower in downtown Seattle.

To clear it up a little bit. Chase bought out Washington Mutual and became Chase where WAMU banking centers were...even the WAMU tower in downtown Seattle.

Whatever they did, I hate them now. So many new fees and dumb rules. I deposited $100 cash and they held it for 24 hours. WHY!? To make sure it cleared??? That makes NO sense!

OOps didnt see this message lol... Oh ok thats one I didnt know about, but thanks.. (And you might didnt notice who I am?) ;)

But their process still sucks when deaf finally find a job and tell Social Security Admin to half the check and they still send until 2 or 3 months later that being stop and asked for money back. Sheesh...

She doesn't own a debit or ATM card at all.

I own a debit card but almost never use it. In theory, I know you can write down your debit card transactions just like you would a check, and keep track, but it's all too easy to not do that, and then find yourself overdrawn. And if you are overdrawn by just a few dollars, most banks now will debit your "overdraft protection" or whatever they call it in $100 increments, on which you will pay interest.

Phooey on that. We use our charge card for absolutely everything and then pay it off every month. Seems a safer way to go. We can withdraw from savings if we have higher charges than usual; that way WE are controlling how we pay for things, not the bank deciding out of the goodness of its heart (ha!) to give us "protection" for which they charge pretty hefty fees.

Hrmm.......I already have direct deposit where the government just put my paycheck into my savings account...same for my federal tax refund I got. I'm already careful with the money I have--making sure that I don't overdraw or anything like that. I even got a Bank of America mobile app on my phone to quickly check how much I have left in Checking. If you guys are careful enough and plan well ahead, then there should be no issues.

You're right, in theory.

My husband and I have a joint account (with checks automatically deposited, so at least that's always covered) and we don't necessarily tell each other "Hey, here's the receipt for the grocery store; enter this in the debit."

Just seems easier for us to charge.

I know there is also a theory that if you charge everything (like we do), you end up spending more than if you just operate on a cash-only basis. Take out whatever cash you need for the month, take with you to the grocery store what you want to spend, and that's it, no more.

Probably a good idea, just for the discipline, but we have not put ourselves on that cash-only plan for any length of time. We do for small expenses, though; we give ourselves a monthly cash "allowance" for little things and use cash for stuff like the occasional fast-food meal or magazines or whatever. No refill until the 1st of the month, either!

I own a debit card but almost never use it. In theory, I know you can write down your debit card transactions just like you would a check, and keep track, but it's all too easy to not do that, and then find yourself overdrawn. And if you are overdrawn by just a few dollars, most banks now will debit your "overdraft protection" or whatever they call it in $100 increments, on which you will pay interest.

Phooey on that. We use our charge card for absolutely everything and then pay it off every month. Seems a safer way to go. We can withdraw from savings if we have higher charges than usual; that way WE are controlling how we pay for things, not the bank deciding out of the goodness of its heart (ha!) to give us "protection" for which they charge pretty hefty fees.

I do that too. Plus the card gives me free things like restaurant gift cards just for using it! Free money. :)

Back