Sign Puns

tucki

Reaction score
Thinking about puns the other day, it occurred that seeing as puns exploit quirks in language, different languages, symbolisms, and grammars provide new worlds of opportunity for puns. Does anyone know of any sign specific jokes or puns where the sign is maybe ambiguous or has a double meaning that can be exploited in a funny way? -tucki

i know a few quirks in sign, not really sure they are puns.....

do the sign for stand, upsidedown. a v handshape under horizontal b. means "understand"

do the sign for "hop", with I handshape. means ihop(international house of pancakes)

left hand "u" shape, right hand "d" shape, facing away. make the "d" smack into the "u" and the "u" falls over into an "h"....means "duh"

You mean like using the sign for "brown" and "knee" to mean Brownie (Girl Scouts)?

Or using the sign for "milk" across your eyes to mean "pasteurized" (past your eyes)? :giggle:

How about "Sears"?

Both hands, "S" shape, held next to both ears.

(I know, it's more English but it's popular here.)

for understand - instead of your pointer finger use your pinky, meaning understand alittle

If you're referring to signs being made up due to what they are known for, I'd say that I've seen a lot of that here.

There are a few places here in Rochester and at RIT that a lot of deaf students and people made up signs for. There's Walmart (signed with W-M in the form of "pathetic"), Dining Commons (signed with D-C in the form of choking), Grace Watson (signed with G-W in the form of swallowing and vomiting), and Ritchies (signed with R in the form of basement).

Vamproxy - never seen that one for walmart. I use the sign cheap but with a W handshape

We use the WELCOME sign with a "W" (representing the Walmart store greeters).

There are a few places here in Rochester and at RIT that a lot of deaf students and people made up signs for. There's Walmart (signed with W-M in the form of "pathetic"), Dining Commons (signed with D-C in the form of choking), Grace Watson (signed with G-W in the form of swallowing and vomiting), and Ritchies (signed with R in the form of basement).

I had a teacher who signed Alexander Graham Bell as STUPID, PEA-BRAIN, BASTARD (A-G-B handshapes on forehead).

Vamproxy - never seen that one for walmart. I use the sign cheap but with a W handshape
Yeah, that's the other sign that I've seen. The 3rd one is just holding your right hand up (like you do when you're swearing in at court) and just doing 'W' and 'M'.

This is funny, I was just discussing ASL 'puns' the other day. I don't know if these would be considered as puns, it's more just playing with signs, here's one that I know.

Make the "I Love You" handshape and wave the index finger side-to-side = "Where is the love?"

Ask a loved one what 5 - 2 would equal? Upon an expected reply of 3, you say "wrong, I love you!" Corny, I know, but so cute especially with your young uns. This became my code with my boys when they didn't want to be embarrassed in front of other kids. ;-)

Ive been out of puns for a while. However it's a little something now and then.

I had a grill fix some slow cooked beef on bread (Essentially a food truck, we called them roach coachers) and they were new. Full of happiness and joy at food to the truckers gathered at that corner for their food.

I was with another deaf person and we were talking portion sizes. So I did the classic exaggerated detective with a trouble carrying a huge crazy sized magnifying glass while scrunching the face and squint at the size of the food on the plate. Not much to it.

The poor grill lady was offended. I told her I am a trucker and explained how I like my meals...

OH... wait just a sec. She didnt know. Thats ok, its not obvious other than the harness boots with fuel all over them and the CAT logo for desiel power on the ballcap. etc. Plus the trucking stop shirt with some kind of inspirational message. I know that truckers are hard to see, but it cannot be THAT hard to see one. Feed me please lady.

Took a extra few minutes. So I stand there looking at the wrist with big eye and tap a imaginary watch dail the size of the cleveland foundry manhole cover that were standing on at the feet below. (And imaginary weight to it too to indicate hurry up already...)

You can have so much fun when you allow formal signs to patomine a little bit into a mime like form of entertainment. +)

Its not as easy in speaking english, however I tend to adapt the face and body to imitate something or someone who is fairly well known in the deaf world. IF you had a ruler and handed it to me then asked me how long was th ruler I would imitate Dr Sullivan as the teacher of Helen Keller and give the ruler (And you) the eye once over and tell you that it's this long.

If you disagreed then we will proceed with fun and games further from that point. I really should get down to the deaf church again in Little Rock at the first baptist. Ive been away too many years and get rusty with all the fun stuff.

Back