Shopping for Mother of Bride dress

LDNanna

Premium Member
Reaction score
I have been looking in vain for a modestly priced, modest dress that does not show my granny parts and such.
The dresses that I have seen are way too colorful, way too revealing and stupidly expensive.
I could have cried when shopping at a store when they said I should wear a girdle so that I could get a proper fit. I am a comfy granny. I can put babies to sleep in less than a minute. (This was on notepaper as no one there signed or was in any way deaf friendly).
The store thinks that at my age I should have an hourglass figure. Bleh.
I want to look nice, but I am not young anymore.(thank goodness) The gray hair and comfy physique are plusses for me, even if it means a plus size. My doctor says I am healthy, my grandbabies love to hug me, sit on my lap and my husband likes me the way I am.
That being said, has any person here found a nice style and location to get a nice dress? It is a fall wedding in October in an old victorian house. The brides dress is decidedly victorian.
Please ideas?

When my daughter got married, I bought a dress on Ebay. It came from India and was very fancy, concealing, and had jet beading.

And it was affordable to me.

Victorian, huh? Perfect. Dress like Queen Victoria. She was a modest dresser with a comfy granny shape. :giggle:

It is my daughter's wedding. She is a lithe size 6 or 8. Her dress is soo beautiful. I will post a picture after the wedding. She is being very hush-hush till the wedding.

I like your idea Botti. The Indian dresses are so beautiful. I need a modest price because we paid for her dress. It should be worth it. She has been asked to model for the bridal shop, but she already has two jobs.

my sister soon engaged :P next year exciting I already become uncle!

Have you considered a cocktail suit? It's easier to fit and you might actually wear it again.

I wore a green velvet dress at my daughter's wedding that was in Nov.
I when store where they sold one of a kind dresses. My dress cost $200 . It had long sleeves. I felt very comfortable in it

I am sheltered. What is a cocktail suit? I would like something that I would wear again.

(If I buy a formal the only time I would wear it again would be my own funeral.) (giggle)

Where do you live? Do you have access to Lord and Taylor or Nordstrom's?

Here is a pretty dress, quite dressy, in plus sizes, and it's on sale for $138.

Adrianna Papell Stretch Taffeta Gown & Bolero (Plus) | Nordstrom

Lord and Taylor has a good plus-size department too. Here are some selections:

http://www.lordandtaylor.com/eng/womensapparel-plussize-dresses-lordandtaylor
I didn't find any that were specifically bridal-party-ish, but some of the ones featured might work for you.

Another choice: do you like Ulla Popken?

http://www.ullapopken.com/category/...+cocktail+dresses.do?sortby=ourPicks&page=all

Some of her "cocktail" dresses might work as mother-of-the-bride dresses. They all look comfortable and easy to fit.

Beautiful! If that's your size, grab it!

Are you familiar with the designer? Maybe find the designer's website and see if you can find a sizing chart, and compare your measurements. If you match what he calls a 16W, then take it!

I love the embroidery and love the necklace they show with it. It would work very well with your daughter's Victorian-style gown.

Edited to add: my comments were about the dress you found on E-bay! Of the Ella Popken vs. the E-bay one, the mint-green dress with the embroidery and jacket I think is prettier and would work well with the Victorian theme.

Oh maybe some photo ideas? I have just cruised ebay. Really be honest. What do you think of something like this one?

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

I like that it flows, but am worried about the color.

Why worried about the color? It looks beautiful to me. What is your coloring, and what color will the bridesmaids' dresses be?

The only thing I'd be concerned about is that the size is a 16 "regular," not a 16 "women's", so definitely ask the seller about exact measurements. A misses' 16 will be a little smaller in bust and hip than a woman's 16.

My color is light, my hair is white and copper.

See?

<---------- That is me putting a fussy new born to sleep for his mama. My youngest grandson, "chili". His real name is Charles Allan Cardona Van Pelt. We call him Carlos, but his dad calls him Chili.

Wirelessly posted (droid)

A cocktail suit is two pieces - a skirt and a jacket made out if special fabric and fancier than a common suit. I prefer them because I get a better fit. Tends to be more modest and forgiving than a evening dress. You can find them with short or long lengths. It could be worn to a holiday party or another event (or when you want hubby to take you to a fancy restaurant for your anniversary.
I prefer more casual events but it is fun getting spiffied up on occasion.

Van Pelt??? Do you watch "The Mentalist," by any chance? There is a character there named Van Pelt.

Anyway - I think the light green would look beautiful on you. Green is the complement to orange, so your light coppery hair should look very striking with it.

Of course you know yourself best and what colors look good on you, but just from that little bit of a picture, I'd guess it would be lovely.

Wirelessly posted

Did you try bloomingdale? They have some good outfits. My friends mother got a cute dress from there for the wedding also.

I used to shop Bloomingdale's women's section all the time (Tyson's Corner mall), but then they went seriously down-hill for a long time.

I have shopped there recently and they were ok, a bit better than their lowest low, but not as good as they used to be.

Personally, I have better luck at Lord and Taylor these days. Nordstrom's I would rate as a close second to L&T.

Back