Recently became Deaf & Severely HH...

Andresito

Reaction score
Hello, I am 28 years old, Mexican, who was born with some hearing loss. When I was 23 I had an accident which caused hme to go 100% deaf in my right ear and HH in my left ear. Only have 10% hearing in my left ear without my hearing aides, and 30% with.

I am faily new to ASL. My mother use to work with Special Education children when I was very young and so she would practice her signing with me. Little did I know that those basics would later be my way of communicating, especially in emmergent situations.

I would like to learn more ASL and would love to practice and find someone who can teach me. This has all been pretty overwhelming going from somewhat hearing most of your life to mostly silence, but I'm trying. In any case, I know that with time I will lose all functionality to hear thus I would like to learn as much as I can while I still can.

Look forward to talking wih and getting to know many of you.

Blessings!
-AJS

Welcome to AllDeaf Andresito.

You said, "I would like to learn as much as I can while I still can". Don't fret too much, you can still learn even once your hearing is completely gone too. There are lots of folks on the forums here who have had sudden unexpected hearing loss and have transitioned without having the partial hearing time that you have.

Don't worry, deaf doesn't mean you can no longer learn.

Good ASL classes are taught completely voice off, no hearing needed.

:welcome: to AllDeaf Forum. Have fun reading and posting here. See you around. :wave:

Welcome to AllDeaf forums! If you need any help with getting some accessibility as Deaf person please do feel free to contact me via private message here or feel free to create a thread around here for some help.

My first advice is that you should apply for VRS (Video Relay Service) if you hadn't because then you can make a call to anyone and it is advanced technology from TTY which is becoming obsoleted now.

Welcome to AllDeaf forums! If you need any help with getting some accessibility as Deaf person please do feel free to contact me via private message here or feel free to create a thread around here for some help.

My first advice is that you should apply for VRS (Video Relay Service) if you hadn't because then you can make a call to anyone and it is advanced technology from TTY which is becoming obsoleted now.

Sorry about the like. I still use TDD or TTY (not yet out of the wood).

Also the OP had to wait until he or she get about 10 posts to get private messages. Otherwise, it will not work if he or she get less then 10 private messages. So be patient. :)

Don't worry, deaf doesn't mean you can no longer learn.

Good ASL classes are taught completely voice off, no hearing needed.

She right about this. In fact, the hardest part is going to be turning off the sound of your own voice in your mind and switching it to the vision of your hands.

When you are hearing, trying to learn ASL is difficult at first because you can't stop your natural inclination to think in sound. You hear in your brain what you want to say first, then you translate to sign and your hands move. You have to get past that so that you don't translate...you just relax and let your hands go.

The more you step into the Deaf Community, the easier your new world will become. Try spending a full 24hours without voice (even though you will never lose the ability to use your voice), and spend the day using only your hands to communicate your thoughts. I bet you will learn ASL faster than cheating by voicing.

No matter what...you have lots of people here and in your life who can help you if you need it.

Hi I am in the same situation but a bit older than you. I am 41. I found out three years ago. I don't have any clue how to be involved with the deaf community..

Hi I am in the same situation but a bit older than you. I am 41. I found out three years ago. I don't have any clue how to be involved with the deaf community..

Welcome to allDeaf belemia...
Why not start a thread for yourself.....
Your doing the right thing and getting involved now..

I have no idea how to. I just barely got on and figured out how to respond[emoji4]

No plm.
There will be to the left on the bar..a tag that says start new thread. Click that...
(On web anyway) i dont use the mobile version so i dunno how that goes...

No plm.
There will be to the left on the bar..a tag that says start new thread. Click that...
(On web anyway) i dont use the mobile version so i dunno how that goes...
With Tapatalk there's a blue edit icon in the bottom right when you're in any sub-forum. It lets you make a new post.

It's cool to see an Illinois member here. You're like 90 minutes away from me. Welcome!!!

Recently became Deaf & Severely HH...

Hey!!! I am new of this. How I can make my own profile?? I am Deaf. I am 20 years old. Will be 21 years old at August 29.
ImageUploadedByAllDeaf1438671311.192911.jpg
I am Christian.

Sent from my iPhone using AllDeaf

Last edited:
Welcome to AllDeaf forum! There are plenty ways to learn ASL as this AllDeaf forum has plenty of resources that you can find here including the way to learn ASL or plenty information on the Deaf culture and ASL itself as a language as well. If you need any assistance with AllDeaf forum please do feel free to ask one of us for some help here. Hope you enjoy your stay around here and meet plenty people as there are thousands members registered.

Back