Poston's ASL Class what do you think?

hey mr. poston
this is robbie smith per. 3
i posted under the ellas flashlight
and i posted under new signs

Good point. It isn't the Deaf culture lifestyle I would dislike. It is being deaf...I go into this with much anger and sadness. I was a hard core music lover, and now it all sounds like crap. It is not the culture; it is losing my hearing. What I meant by my "can only hope" comment is to become late-deafened, it is having something taken from you, without your consent. I cannot go back to my old self, as that option is not available to me now. I am just playing the cards I was dealt. Hope you understand it has no reflection on Deaf culture; it is on my personal loss.
saywhatkid...you speak of being deaf so proudly and than go on to say that you "can only hope..." making it sound you wouldn't want to have a deaf culture life style if you could go back and make a change in your life...? or making hearing people sound unsesitive to other lifestyles...?

Where is the love? Yes the differences in cultures can cause some tensions, however, I believe that it is becoming more apparent between the hard of hearing and hearing as both become more involved with each other. Some think that the cochlear needs to be put in every deaf child, while others believe it would destroy a person leaving them with no identity, or culture, just some machine human. That subject is too sensitive for me to comfortable get involved in.
Just curious, Joe.

I believe that the majority of members here are not opposed to CI, but are opposed to the medical community touting CI as a cureall for deafness. A CI user does not become hearing by virtue of the CI, they simply become deaf with a CI. The same as a hh/deaf person who uses hearing aids is not hearing--they are deaf with HA. Unfortunately, the medical community has been guilty of leading parents of young deaf children to believe that CI and oral/auditory rehab is all that is necessary for their child. That is where the real debate lies. Yes, by all means, give your child the tools available to ensure communicative and educational success---but do not forget that they are still deaf. As deafdyke is so fond of saying, provide them with a full toolbox.

Another issue is the implantation of small children before they are able to provide input regarding the way in which they choose to live with their deafness. I personally have a profoundly deaf son who is 21 years of age and has no interest in being implanted. He has found that he prefers to live without the constant auditory input, as he finds it very distracting to his ability to fuction visually. I support him in his decision. However, if he were to change his mind, I would support him in his decision to be implanted. He is the one, after all, who has to live with his deafness, and therefore, he above all should have the right to determine the manner in which he is best able to fuction. I, as his hearing parent, do not have the right to dictate how he is to deal with something I have never experienced. There are those who disagree with my position, and feel that parents who fail to implant their children early on are neglecting their child's basic communication needs. I disagree. My son wore HA until he decided that the HA, as well, caused too much distraction. He attended speech therapy to develop oral skill to the best of his ability, and was exposed to the Deaf community from the time he was a toddler in order to acquire ASL from native signers. He attended mainstream schools early on, but transfered to a deaf school, and never wanted to return to mainstream settings for school. He now attends a hearing university with an interpreter for classroom activities, and is very successful, happy, and well adjusted. But that is just my experience. There are others who have differing views of implantation, and their experience is as valid as mine as it relates to their children. As long as the CI is not used as an attempt to make a child hearing, instead of recognizing that it is an assistive amplification devise and the child is still and forever will be deaf, neither I, nor most parents I know, disagree with a parent's decision to implant.

I believe that the majority of members here are not opposed to CI, but are opposed to the medical community touting CI as a cureall for deafness. A CI user does not become hearing by virtue of the CI, they simply become deaf with a CI. The same as a hh/deaf person who uses hearing aids is not hearing--they are deaf with HA. Unfortunately, the medical community has been guilty of leading parents of young deaf children to believe that CI and oral/auditory rehab is all that is necessary for their child. That is where the real debate lies. Yes, by all means, give your child the tools available to ensure communicative and educational success---but do not forget that they are still deaf. As deafdyke is so fond of saying, provide them with a full toolbox.

Another issue is the implantation of small children before they are able to provide input regarding the way in which they choose to live with their deafness. I personally have a profoundly deaf son who is 21 years of age and has no interest in being implanted. He has found that he prefers to live without the constant auditory input, as he finds it very distracting to his ability to fuction visually. I support him in his decision. However, if he were to change his mind, I would support him in his decision to be implanted. He is the one, after all, who has to live with his deafness, and therefore, he above all should have the right to determine the manner in which he is best able to fuction. I, as his hearing parent, do not have the right to dictate how he is to deal with something I have never experienced. There are those who disagree with my position, and feel that parents who fail to implant their children early on are neglecting their child's basic communication needs. I disagree. My son wore HA until he decided that the HA, as well, caused too much distraction. He attended speech therapy to develop oral skill to the best of his ability, and was exposed to the Deaf community from the time he was a toddler in order to acquire ASL from native signers. He attended mainstream schools early on, but transfered to a deaf school, and never wanted to return to mainstream settings for school. He now attends a hearing university with an interpreter for classroom activities, and is very successful, happy, and well adjusted. But that is just my experience. There are others who have differing views of implantation, and their experience is as valid as mine as it relates to their children. As long as the CI is not used as an attempt to make a child hearing, instead of recognizing that it is an assistive amplification devise and the child is still and forever will be deaf, neither I, nor most parents I know, disagree with a parent's decision to implant.

I couldnt have said it better!!! I wish I had known about the deaf culture and how much sign language would have opened up my world. I was brainwashed into thinking sign language was for low functioning deaf people who couldnt read and write. My teachers used to tell me this all the time "Wow, u are so smart..u dont need that gesturing with your hands they call sign language." After being told that year after year, I grew up with the belief that the better I spoke the smarter I was so I endured stress trying to make my speech and lipreading skills perfect. It seemed that I was seen as this amazing deaf child who can hear and speak so well. It was a joke cuz I missed out on so much more. I could have broadened my horizons as a child rather than focusing on my so called excellence speech and lipreading skills. :mad2:

I'm ashley willis
I posted on the "Would this have offended you???" thread.
On that thread I said, "I think that you were not wrong to be offended because you were right. I would have felt the same way. I would have ask the manager why it was with the childhood diseases, and also ask him to put it some where else."

Ella's Flashlight means...
That she is calling herself a "deaf mute" because that is the sign for deaf. She is proud to say that she is a deaf mute. also she says that people use it incorrectly.

Welcome to alldeaf.com!! Remember, you need to let me know where else you posted as well as who you are!!!

For others outside my class...

What do you think about an ASL class using alldeaf.com?

I dont care if an ASL class uses AD for posting as long as the posts are not inflammatory and have valid topics or questions. It would be great if more hearing people can learn about Deaf Culture and the issues we have to face in our lives as deaf or hoh individuals. That would help people not to lump all of us into one person and think this approach that worked for one person would work for all of us.

Poston, I dont quite understand this site yet just give me a little more time to understand it..lol technology doesnt like me much!

Hey Mr. Poston. This is Stephen Brown. I posted on "Feeling on Cochlear Implants." i'm not sure what ella's flashlight means.

This is Jordan Huber
I posted on the "Would this have offended you???" thread and I said...
I understand where you were coming from, and I don't think it was wrong of you to have been offended by her. But I think the reason she reacted the way she did is that she was uneducated on deafness and didn't know how to react to the situation so she disregarded it to avoid a further argument/conflict or something. I don't think you were being rude at all by asking her if she realized deafness is not an illness the way you did, and I think it is good that you handled the situation the way you did. Good job.

Ella's Flashlight is a Deaf mute's search for Deafhood enlightenment.

avery..

avery. per2.. i posted this to a thread about someone who didnt want to pay back the extra money a SSI gave him:
This seems similar to when there are mistakes with taxes. The government has to fix the error of lost money and people end up having to pay back even when it was the governments fault initially. I can see why this would be upsetting, but it also seems understandable since it is not just in the case of SSI that situations such as this occur. If too much change was given to someone at the store when purchasing something, it'd be only right to pay it back right, even if it was the cashier's fault.. maybe another way to look at it?

Ella's flashlight: The idea of not taking to offence to terms that are not culturally appropriate right now. "Deaf-mute" is the example she uses, and discusses that if Deaf people would stop worrying about names used against them, it would give much less power to those who try to use the names negativly.

Zach {Mod Edit: Surname removed in respect to privacy issues ~RR}

"Am I Crazy??"

"Heheh it happens to me too. Im hearing and im taking an ASL class at school. In my first year this happened mostly because i was having to concentrate more to learn it but my teacher would give us a project to sign a song. My mother would usually come in because she would hear me play the same part over and over again until I got it down. But i guess i was just in signing mode because I would turn around and respond in sign lol. She just walked back out the door."

a Deaf mute's search for Deafhood enlightment

Last edited by a moderator:
ASL Class in AllDeaf? Blah!

You're better off learning in person because you see the signs being used.

You could create a few threads asking how they sign something, but that would be a waste of time since it takes everyone almost a week to reply to your thread.

"OMG! I learned how to say, 'How are you?' in ASL!"

"You did? When?"

"Oh, it took me a week to learn."

-Rachael {Mod Edit: Surname removed in respect to privacy issues ~RR}
Ella's flashlight is talking about taking back the name of "Deaf Mute." She say's that the name does not have to be something ashamed of but to be proud and to not take affence when called it.

I also posted on Future Shock, on the thread I wrote that the Deaf Community would always be around.

ASL Class in AllDeaf? Blah!

You're better off learning in person because you see the signs being used.

You could create a few threads asking how they sign something, but that would be a waste of time since it takes everyone almost a week to reply to your thread.

"OMG! I learned how to say, 'How are you?' in ASL!"

"You did? When?"

"Oh, it took me a week to learn."

We're not using the site to learn the signs, but rather, to get involved in discussions about Deaf Culture/History/Technology, etc.

I dont care if an ASL class uses AD for posting as long as the posts are not inflammatory and have valid topics or questions. It would be great if more hearing people can learn about Deaf Culture and the issues we have to face in our lives as deaf or hoh individuals. That would help people not to lump all of us into one person and think this approach that worked for one person would work for all of us.

I think it is a wonderful tool. So many times, ASL teachers are late learning hearing adults, and as a consequence, the only exposure a student gets to deaf culture is throught a hearing person's perspective.

I think it is a wonderful tool. So many times, ASL teachers are late learning hearing adults, and as a consequence, the only exposure a student gets to deaf culture is throught a hearing person's perspective.

I think it's nice in principle, but frankly if I were teaching an ASL class, I would never choose AllDeaf for beginning students to peruse.

I think it's nice in principle, but frankly if I were teaching an ASL class, I would never choose AllDeaf for beginning students to peruse.

Why not? If they wanted to learn about deaf people and deaf culture in another form, this is one great way to do it. They can learn that deaf people like to talk about normal day to day stuff just like hearing people do in addition to reading about the educational , language, communication, and discrimination issues brought up by different AD members?

hey..its sarah {Mod Edit: Surname removed in respect to privacy issues ~RR}

i posted a comment on "Feelings about Cochlear Implants." I said that i wasn't sure what my view was on getting the surgery..i also said that if a parent wanted to get the CI, i think that they should wait until the child is old enough to make the decision themselves because in the end, they are the one's who will have to live with it! bye!

ps. i'll get back to you about Ella's Flashlight! otay!

Back