Poston's ASL Class what do you think?

For privacy's sake, Don't encourage your students to post their real name on the internet (unless it is fake). You could ask a mod for a private forum.

I think someone should moniter this teacher's 'teaching'. Doesn't seem like a very good asl teacher.

It ain't the signs it's the culture shock

Who knows about the ASL part? I do not think many of the students were prepared for Deaf culture, and I believe some have learned from the MB. I just cannot shake the lab rat feeling though, like a field trip, and they are staring into the cages holding deaf people, and sometimes they bump in to each other and so forth, all wide-eyed. I am willing to bet at least one of the students here will leave a mark on the world of Deaf, as they will look back and want to contribute. No idea which one though...
I think someone should moniter this teacher's 'teaching'. Doesn't seem like a very good asl teacher.

How should Mr. Poston's ASL class learn about Deaf culture?? Should we read it in a book and then just assume that is the way it is? I think that the best way to learn about deaf culture is by 1st hand experience. (However this would only apply to those that are interested in it and are respectful) but i am still woundering what do U think is the best way to learn Deaf Culture??...
:confused:

Personally, I think asking questions and watching how people respond to questions is the best way to learn deaf culture.

There's only so much you can get from a book or a classroom... going out and expierencing the culture or having deaf people come to the classroom will give you some ideas.. but in the end it is up to those who want to learn.

:gpost::gpost:
That is what i'm saying. i think that experiencing things is the way to go. thanks so much for the answer!

I am glad you are getting something out of this. My stand has always been lets all learn from each other. The lab rat feeling is just that, a feeling. I get the same feeling when I am working and the big bosses bring a tour through to see the area I work in, and the group watches what I am doing. Some day this will happen to you, and it is not a biggie, but it can make for uneasy feelings sometimes. See if there is a Deaf gathering in your area. If you show interest in learning ASL, there will be someone that will want to help you experience their world. Immersion is good!
:gpost::gpost:
That is what i'm saying. i think that experiencing things is the way to go. thanks so much for the answer!

For privacy's sake, Don't encourage your students to post their real name on the internet (unless it is fake). You could ask a mod for a private forum.

Mod Note:

Surnames in this thread has been removed out of respect to privacy issues-- ;)

~RR

i went to a gathering at starbucks, i thought that it was a lot of fun. i have also worked at WSD and really enjoyed that as well

This is Anitra, obviously. I posted in Sign Language and oralism-giving up on ASL. i said "Giving up and just going back would just be letting the teacher and people who are treating you bad win. I personaly think that you should just hang in there and do the best you can. You can prove to them that you are just as good as them.”
I haven't done the Ella's Flashlight thing yet, because the computer wouldnt show it.

Nothing beats real life immersion into the culture but this method right here is cool, a novel idea. Haven't seen this one before.

Back