Plane Crash At SF Int.

TXgolfer

Dream Weaver
Premium Member
Reaction score
Appears to be an Asian Airlines 777 that crashed on landing.

Wow, hope everyone on board is ok... I try to find any info. Looks like it happened very recently.

The plane is destroyed, the midsection was burned out and the tail section is missing. The CNN is saying there is survivors it appears to be a crash landing, something wrong with landing gear.

It is very scary to see plane crash and I think fly will going to be major delay.

Poor to passengers. :(

Yes, since it flew from South Korea, it probably used up most of the fuel and pretty sure flew in low fuel. That would lessen the fire significantly.

Looks like a lot of survivors. Good news.

So sad! Lived here a long time and never heard of a plane crash in this area. I hope most people will live. Not a good sign though if the midsection is burnt out :(

So sad! Lived here a long time and never heard of a plane crash in this area. I hope most people will live. Not a good sign though if the midsection is burnt out :(

Saw pictures earlier. Looks like most people were off before the cabin caught on fire.

Yes, since it flew from South Korea, it probably used up most of the fuel and pretty sure flew in low fuel. That would lessen the fire significantly.

according to Asiana (OZ) #214

Asiana 214 is a Boeing 777-200 (twin-jet). This plane is classified as H/B772/Q (H = Heavy. B772 = Boeing 777-200. Q = FAA AIM Suffix (not important) with possible maximum seating capacity of about 300 people or so.

According to Boeing website - Boeing: 777-200/-200ER Technical Characteristics , this plane has a maximum fuel capacity of 31,000 U.S. gal and maximum range of 5,240 nautical miles (9,700 km or 6,030 miles).

According to Asiana 214 log, it has flown:
Direct: 5,651 sm Planned: 5,669 sm Flown: 7,255 sm

sm means statute mile which is same as mile. since it has flown past its maximum range.... that means the plane is probably Boeing 777-200ER which is bigger with a maximum fuel capacity of 45,220 U.S. gal and maximum range of 7,725 nautical miles (14,305 km or 8,890 miles).

so that means the plane probably had enough fuel for another 500-1,000 miles :dunno:

The tail hit the breaker wall then the plane cartwheeled. Sad!! Since it was landing, everyone should have had their seatbelts on.

My brother flew out of SF this morning to Italy. Scary!!!

Thanks for the info... that's a lot of fuel to carry. I would have thought it would not have much fuel left when it came to SFO. Having a 500-1000 miles range isn't much left for a commercial/passenger planes. It's fortunate that the fire is minimal by the looks of it and not burning the whole plane up.

according to Asiana (OZ) #214

Asiana 214 is a Boeing 777-200 (twin-jet). This plane is classified as H/B772/Q (H = Heavy. B772 = Boeing 777-200. Q = FAA AIM Suffix (not important) with possible maximum seating capacity of about 300 people or so.

According to Boeing website - Boeing: 777-200/-200ER Technical Characteristics , this plane has a maximum fuel capacity of 31,000 U.S. gal and maximum range of 5,240 nautical miles (9,700 km or 6,030 miles).

According to Asiana 214 log, it has flown:

sm means statute mile which is same as mile. since it has flown past its maximum range.... that means the plane is probably Boeing 777-200ER which is bigger with a maximum fuel capacity of 45,220 U.S. gal and maximum range of 7,725 nautical miles (14,305 km or 8,890 miles).

so that means the plane probably had enough fuel for another 500-1,000 miles :dunno:

Thanks for the info... that's a lot of fuel to carry. I would have thought it would not have much fuel left when it came to SFO. Having a 500-1000 miles range isn't much left for a commercial/passenger planes. It's fortunate that the fire is minimal by the looks of it and not burning the whole plane up.

yea - pretty important to have enough fuel to circle around in a holding pattern especially for a major airport since SFO is notorious for delays and "traffic jam". It's not unheard of a plane to circle around for an hour or so.

Amazing if there are no deaths. Says 14 injured . Now that would be a miracle.

That's why planes have reserve fuel for emergencies.

yea - pretty important to have enough fuel to circle around in a holding pattern especially for a major airport since SFO is notorious for delays and "traffic jam". It's not unheard of a plane to circle around for an hour or so.

That's why planes have reserve fuel for emergencies.

although I have to point out that you cannot carry maximum capacity of both fuel and passengers or the plane won't be able to take off. the plane flew with only enough fuel + reserve for this trip as according to distance and capacity.

According to CNN, they stated this 777-200LR is capable of flying over 9,000 miles nonstop. The "LR" stands for "Long-Range"

The plane can carry 301 passengers and travel a maximum distance of 9,395 nautical miles

source

although I have to point out that you cannot carry maximum capacity of both fuel and passengers or the plane won't be able to take off. the plane flew with only enough fuel + reserve for this trip as according to distance and capacity.

Back