Plane Crash At SF Int.

What is sad is most of the injured were sent to the burn unit. 41 in critical condition.

Hubby and I were going to go to SF today but decided to visit my mom instead.

There are at least 2 deaths now, confirmed. I expect probably more with the number of people sent to the burn unit. Sad.

There are at least 2 deaths now, confirmed. I expect probably more with the number of people sent to the burn unit. Sad.

saw that it said about 60 unaccounted for. oh my! must be because of people scrambling around on the field and officials lost a head count.

According to CNN, they stated this 777-200LR is capable of flying over 9,000 miles nonstop. The "LR" stands for "Long-Range"

source

ah that must be it.

I think 777 has 3 configurations - ER (extended range), LR (long range), and F (freight).

saw that it said about 60 unaccounted for. oh my! must be because of people scrambling around on the field and officials lost a head count.

Yes very much so last plane crash I ran I was the first on scene and a passenger was in the airport parking lot walking around disoriented and in severe pain ... and the plane itself was off the far end of the runway. Plus you have fire dept/rescue/law enforcement/FAA/airport personnel and others around which makes it mass confusion.

Update: according to the recent CNN news conference...

2 dead
1 accounted for
181 taken to hospitals
123 were uninjured and still held in the terminals.

Last edited:
How awful. They all must have been terrified. Prayers to everyone affected by this tragedy.

Laura

Yes very much so last plane crash I ran I was the first on scene and a passenger was in the airport parking lot walking around disoriented and in severe pain ... and the plane itself was off the far end of the runway. Plus you have fire dept/rescue/law enforcement/FAA/airport personnel and others around which makes it mass confusion.

whoa. tell us a little more about it. where was this? and when?

"too low, too soon" - looks like the plane was flying low enough for its rear landing gear to hit the base of runaway from the approach and bam.... cartwheeling.

that's why its tail section was ripped apart.

130706200934-30-san-francisco-plane-crash-horizontal-large-gallery.jpg

Yeah, the plane is not supposed to land at that area, so it appears to be more likely a pilot error.

"too low, too soon" - looks like the plane was flying low enough for its rear landing gear to hit the edge of runaway from the approach and bam.... cartwheeling.

that's why its tail section was ripped apart.

130706200934-30-san-francisco-plane-crash-horizontal-large-gallery.jpg

Yeah, the plane is not supposed to land at that area, so it appears to be more likely a pilot error.

yea or a sudden wind shear pushed it down. I guess we'll have to wait and see what the black box and pilots say....

but I'm just very puzzled how could such a simple mistake happened since commercial plane like this one can actually land itself at most major airports. :hmm:

but I'm just very puzzled how could such a simple mistake happened since commercial plane like this one can actually land itself at most major airports. :hmm:

Planes are still flown by people, and people make mistakes.

not exactly an explanation I'm looking for.

You'll have to wait for the black box then. Unlike the plane that singer Jenni Rivera died in, this one at least has one, so hopefully the families of those on board will soon have answers. I wouldn't expect it any time soon though; these things take time.

You'll have to wait for the black box then. Unlike the plane that singer Jenni Rivera died in, this one at least has one, so hopefully the families of those on board will soon have answers. I wouldn't expect it any time soon though; these things take time.

in this case? it'll take much shorter than other cases since it's a "nice clean" site and most parts are intact in one piece.

The plane that Jenni Rivera flew in was Learjet 25.... a private jet... I wouldn't even begin to compare between those planes because well - this is a commercial airplane.

in this case? it'll take much shorter than other cases since it's a "nice clean" site and most parts are intact in one piece.

The plane that Jenni Rivera flew in was Learjet 25.... a private jet... I wouldn't even begin to compare between those planes because well - this is a commercial airplane.

It was also a piece of garbage, several years old, the flight log went "missing" and there was no black box because the owner wanted to cover himself and prevent anything from coming back to him. Black boxes are required by law on all planes. Fortunately in commerical planes, a missing black box or flight log wouldn't go unnoticed. However, it still requires time for investigators to piece together what might have gone wrong and compare it to what they learn from the black box. We live in a McDonald's age where people come to expect results in five minutes. Life doesn't work that way....

whoa. tell us a little more about it. where was this? and when?

I don't remember the exact date it was a few years ago I've been on 3 at this airport in the past 20 years ... Morganton/Lenoir Airport in Morganton, NC. The one I was referring to happened at night 4 people on a private plane were coming back from a Nascar race in Atlanta, GA and came in too hard bouncing off the runway and going down into the woods at the end of it ... the impact was so hard one passenger was thrown out on the runway(the one that ended up at the entrance of the airport I found) while another in the woods the other 2 were fatalities when the plane caught fire after it hit ... those 2 were found still in the plane ... the one walking around at the entrance was transported by the EMS to a local hospital ... the other was impaled with large branches from trees and had to be flown out to a trauma center ... both of those recovered fully ... it was chaos ... we had fire(several fire depts)/rescue/several EMS units/react/SAR/airport personnel/fire marshals office/EMS supervisors/highway patrol/sheriffs dept/FAA/fire dept auxillary came in to bring food and rehab stuff too ... I ended up being staging officer at the front gate with the highway patrol and a couple others to restrict the scene until command called for what they needed ... there were tons of media showed up but we didn't allow them access they were just given a briefing ...one reporter I'm sure you've heard of ... Steve Ohnesorge from WBTV news tried to be slick and slip around the fence until I yelled at him and ask him "where do you think your going?!?!" lol I didn't know who it was till after I yelled at him .... he just replied ... Oh I'm just going over there to stand by that fence!!!

My memory is slipping apparently there were 6 total passengers and they were coming back from Daytona I found a link on it. February 1996.

Untitled Page

Another crash I was on we used my truck as transport for the SAR crew in and out ... I remember him being flown out I'll try to find some of the pics I took of the helo coming in and out and post ... heres a link to that one.

Small Plane Crashes In Western N.C. | www.wsoctv.com

The third was before those 2 I think in 1995 sometime don't have anything on that one it was a single passenger experimental aircraft but I'll look for some photos of that one too at the station in a few days to post.

EDIT: the first link says untitled link but its the page for the NTSB brief.

Back