oral death program question

You clearly have no idea what my "bias" is. As I have said before, I am the only one in my entire department that knows any ASL (including the professors). I am the only one who has any experience with the Deaf community. I am the only one who sees use for and respects ASL as a language and a viable option for deaf children. But somehow none of that matters because I also believe that deaf students can acquire spoken English through listening? (A fact well supported by research).

MY choices do not matter. I do not choose the language of any deaf child. That is their family's choice. If they want ASL, they choose an ASL program. If they choose spoken language, they send their child to an oral program.

and they can have both. I had both. Oral schools and but at home I had both ASL and CS.

Oh, my!! Speech therapy for a child who has been implanted can very from once DAILY to TWICE daily. My cousin, who was implanted early, saw an SLP daily as a baby/youngster and then during the school years saw the school SLP and had separate therapy after school.

Listen, TODtobe...we need TODs very badly, but not this bad. You have to leave all ego at the door when working with Deaf children and their families. This is not your road to walk. The vision, the journey, is the family's and the child's...... your job is to support, guide, advocate, love and educate your students. Having an opinion is one thing, but you have extreme biases that will be unfair to your families. I wish you could realize just how diverse a typical caseload can be. I would encourage you to think about a different career. You are approaching the job like you are a white knight swooping in a save Deaf kids and adults from everyone else's misguided choices. I have yet to meet a deaf adult who didn't know their own mind. If you will listen, you will find that Deaf students will show us their preferences too and you must respect and advocate for them , not turn them into YOUR vision of what a Deaf student should be.

How do you think an infant is getting speech therapy twice daily? When does that happen? You think that an early interventionist goes to their house and does two sessions every day?

... I also believe that deaf students can acquire spoken English through listening? (A fact well supported by research)....
"Deaf students"--all, some, most? If they can't hear, how do they "listen?"

How do you think an infant is getting speech therapy twice daily? When does that happen? You think that an early interventionist goes to their house and does two sessions every day?

I said it varied. And yes, some families do seek intensive intervention services. I spent years in EI and saw many kids weekly as did the SLP, SLPA and DI. Three times a week EI services and other days at language groups, private service. That adds up. You seriously need to step back and reevaluate how you are approaching your relationship with the Deaf community. You are a guest not a member.

This is where the disconnect is. In the programs and settings I have been working, deaf children can and do hear. They either have CIs or hearing aids that help them to hear and understand. They listen and speak.

This is where the disconnect is. In the programs and settings I have been working, deaf children can and do hear. They either have CIs or hearing aids that help them to hear and understand. They listen and speak.
So, you are limited to only specific deaf children, not all. You should qualify your statements about deaf children each time to make that clear. CIs and HAs don't provide speech-discerning hearing to all deaf children.

So, you are limited to only specific deaf children, not all. You should qualify your statements about deaf children each time to make that clear. CIs and HAs don't provide speech-discerning hearing to all deaf children.
I never have said all, and I have tried to be specific about the settings I have been in and the children I have been working with.

I never have said all, and I have tried to be specific about the settings I have been in and the children I have been working with.
But some statements, "I also believe that deaf students can acquire spoken English through listening" are ambiguous.

I know some kids who are around 9 to 13 years old who have either CI or HA starts to get tired of wearing CI or HA to listen or pay attention or memorizing the sounds over and over. They did take their devices off at some points. What does it tell you something? It's their weakness area that worns them out. But everyone ask them to put HA or CI on and keep focusing on listening or they will go backward all over agian.

ASL is still useful, that apply to listen, visual and boost everyone's self esteem.

I know some kids who are around 9 to 13 years old who have either CI or HA starts to get tired of wearing CI or HA to listen or pay attention or memorizing the sounds over and over. They did take their devices off at some points. What does it tell you something? It's their weakness area that worns them out. But everyone ask them to put HA or CI on and keep focusing on listening or they will go backward all over agian.

ASL is still useful, that apply to listen, visual and boost everyone's self esteem.

I got my CI at 9, and even after having it for half of my life, it is still exhausting to wear. I was one of those children who were forced to wear it, for 2 weeks after I moved into my dorm... I didn't let the processor touch my head. It was amazing being free from it.

TODtobe........feeling like you are feeding off of this thread. *sigh*. Low ball in high weeds. Hoping you grow lots before you get out there. Maybe if we all stop participating in the TODtobe show...........

You clearly have no idea what my "bias" is. As I have said before, I am the only one in my entire department that knows any ASL (including the professors). I am the only one who has any experience with the Deaf community. I am the only one who sees use for and respects ASL as a language and a viable option for deaf children. But somehow none of that matters because I also believe that deaf students can acquire spoken English through listening? (A fact well supported by research).

MY choices do not matter. I do not choose the language of any deaf child. That is their family's choice. If they want ASL, they choose an ASL program. If they choose spoken language, they send their child to an oral program.

what about the child's needs? they should come first not the hearing families needs.

Anyone who puts their needs before children's need are messed up people!

Last edited:
But some statements, "I also believe that deaf students can acquire spoken English through listening" are ambiguous.

I think that is a total exaggeration.

Oh yeah the same old AVT philsophy......There have ALWAYS been deaf kids who are excellent users of hearing technology..........There are even profound kids who can "hear" at HOH levels with *gasp* hearing aids!

Back