Old-fashioned is a bad thing?

many women working for Yahoo are stay-at-home moms...... until recently since Yahoo has a new CEO.

how do you work for yahoo,that suit me

That's great to know. :cool2:

Let me tell you one thing. I believe it happened probably two times as far as I can remember within the past less than two years. At one time, when some one started having a conversation with me at some special event. She asked me do I have kids. I simply replied, no I am not married yet. She went like, "so? You are so old fashioned. Look at other ladies there are plenty of mothers that never got married. This is 21st century and blah blah. That is so old fashioned thing." ...
It's obvious that the other woman was being judgmental and very buttinsky into your personal business.

Can you imagine someone saying the opposite to an unmarried mother? "Oh, you are so loose having babies without being married! That is such a sinful liberal thing…"

That would be offensive, of course, and the way that woman spoke to you was equally offensive.

Do stay-at-home mom earns money from being stay at home? I have no idea how to receive $$$ if I were staying at home as a mom. Jeez. Both of my older sister and mother are working moms since all of my siblings and I were born. I do not know anyone who is stay-at-mom who are not rich and do travel a lot. I just don't.
I know quite a few stay-at-home moms. They are NOT rich. :)

Some are stay-at-home full-time while the children are pre-school age, and then get outside-the-home jobs after the children start school. Some do work at home, like seamstress, baking, childcare or catering. Some take care of their husband's business office work at home.

My mom was a stay-at-home mom until my parents divorced. She was a high school graduate but she didn't have any specific job skills. So, she started out by taking in ironing. Then, she worked as a part-time dorm receptionist at a private women's college, then became a full-time housekeeper at the college.

I know some moms who work part-time, such as substitute teachers or private nurses.

Each family figures out what works best for them.

I would say no, having manners and being polite isn't old fashioned.

True dat....and I;m still argueing with one of my sons about the darn toilet seat...he says "you're back in the 50's or 60's!...Men don't have to put the toilet seat down...it's a woman's job!"....

So.....I bit my tongue and said..."Next time you need to use the bathroom...get outside or use the neighbors!"....and posted a sign on the wall...."The toilet seat goes DOWN...leave it up...and ur azz is mine"!

This isn't "old fashioned"...it's courtesy....we ladies don't have to put the toilet seat up...so why should be have to put it down when the men use it?

True dat....and I;m still argueing with one of my sons about the darn toilet seat...he says "you're back in the 50's or 60's!...Men don't have to put the toilet seat down...it's a woman's job!"….
Huh? That sounds like a past-century sexist remark. :lol:

So.....I bit my tongue and said..."Next time you need to use the bathroom...get outside or use the neighbors!"....and posted a sign on the wall...."The toilet seat goes DOWN...leave it up...and ur azz is mine"!

This isn't "old fashioned"...it's courtesy....we ladies don't have to put the toilet seat up...so why should be have to put it down when the men use it?
That's right, it's courtesy. (It also keeps the pets out of the toilet bowl.) :giggle:

I never could understand why anyone wants to leave a home toilet in the open position. Who wants to look at that? I like it neatly closed when not in use. Is that too much effort for anyone? I also have the lids that are slow closing. Just a light touch and they close slowly by themselves. :)

But please don't be tooooo courteous and hold a door open for me when you see me coming but I'm 20 feet away. Really, I can get the door, I won't think it's rude not to hold it for me and now I have to jog so I won't be rude making you hold it longer than necessary :/

But please don't be tooooo courteous and hold a door open for me when you see me coming but I'm 20 feet away. Really, I can get the door, I won't think it's rude not to hold it for me and now I have to jog so I won't be rude making you hold it longer than necessary :/

yea I hate it when that happens. it puts someone in an awkward position

honest, it's just society where peole likes to tell something that is so degrade to ladies in two ways.

For example:

A gal who wore a geek clothes then everyone tell her to dress up sexy.
A gal who wore a sexy clothes then everyone tell her that she's a slut.
A gal who have no boyfriend then everyone tell her to find a boyfriend right away with pushy.
Al gal who have boyfriends then everyone tell her to not to get married right away or no good guy or goes on.

All my life, is that everyone telling me what they think I should be that or that.

I consider myself more of modern chick and has a little bit of old fashion. THAT IS MY OPINION lol :D

what sort of work is it

check out its job page and find out. It's Yahoo company.... could be legal, marketing, web programming, copywriter, etc.

I know quite a few stay-at-home moms. They are NOT rich. :)

Some are stay-at-home full-time while the children are pre-school age, and then get outside-the-home jobs after the children start school. Some do work at home, like seamstress, baking, childcare or catering. Some take care of their husband's business office work at home.

My mom was a stay-at-home mom until my parents divorced. She was a high school graduate but she didn't have any specific job skills. So, she started out by taking in ironing. Then, she worked as a part-time dorm receptionist at a private women's college, then became a full-time housekeeper at the college.

I know some moms who work part-time, such as substitute teachers or private nurses.

Each family figures out what works best for them.

One of my aunts whose never had a job in her life (she dropped out High school prior marriage year). She's been married to the same guy for over 45 years and raised three children. She never drives a car. She is kind of stuck a lot of times lately when she needs to go to store, doctor appointment, and errands as her husband (my uncle in law) refuses to drive her. Now my mother just starts helping to pick her up and take her to store, doc appt, and other things for the past a month now. I am not sure why my cousin is not out there helping out my aunt when needed...hmm. My cousin who is 37 and does not have any kids but dogs. She owns independent painting business (probably off the book job,) She travels a lot with her husband out of country.

My mother used to bring me and other siblings to work where my parents runs private-owned business office while we were infants and after school. But we almost never had a babysitter at home when we were under 13 years old. We were on our own at home sometimes while parents were at work and when there were no after school activities such as sport, religious class, workshop, etc.

Huh? That sounds like a past-century sexist remark. :lol:

That's right, it's courtesy. (It also keeps the pets out of the toilet bowl.) :giggle:

I never could understand why anyone wants to leave a home toilet in the open position. Who wants to look at that? I like it neatly closed when not in use. Is that too much effort for anyone? I also have the lids that are slow closing. Just a light touch and they close slowly by themselves. :)

Wow, that thing is new to me! Wonder where did you get it from? Thanks!

Awesome...it's at Lowes. It's just funny that makes me to think like ghosts doing it for us as if my guests are not aware it's automated toilet slow closing. lol.

always a good thing.... such as chivalry :)

it's ok to be both modern and old fashioned like what I do.

Exactly what Jiro said, it's a good thing. Chivalry is not dead, but close. When a guy holds open a door for me or pulls out a chair, it's very impressive. I always feel kind of weird, like hmm... but still impressive, and very attractive. =P

Just to explain why chivalry is dying out, I held a door for a woman recently and she told me I being sexist and she could open the door herself. I was annoyed but you can bet I won't be holding the door for a woman again.

Just to explain why chivalry is dying out, I held a door for a woman recently and she told me I being sexist and she could open the door herself. I was annoyed but you can bet I won't be holding the door for a woman again.

It depends on the person.

You know how sometimes we have threads here where a hearing person is socializing with a group of Deaf people, maybe they're at a coffee shop, and the hearing person tries to voice for the Deaf people when it's time to order their drinks? And sometimes the Deaf people get very angry because they feel like that suggests that they can't order for themselves? And they can, and they want to? So they want the hearing person to just shut up and let them do their own orders?

And then other Deaf people say, "no, it's fine, I can order or they can voice for me, either way is fine."

And then I've met some who say they appreciate the help - they'd rather not deal with the pain in the butt of struggling to communicate.

Every one of them has a right to their feelings and their preferences.

It is the same with women.

If they don't want the door held open for them, if it makes them uncomfortable, if it makes them feel like they are seen as less capable, they have the right to open it themselves, and to express the desire that you not open it for them.

Other women appreciate and enjoy the gesture.

When I know I'll be doing something with a Deaf person in a hearing environment, I try to ask them beforehand how they feel about that kind of thing, what their preferences are. And then I respect whatever they say. Just because one Deaf person got very angry when a hearing person voiced for them doesn't mean I'm going to refuse to voice for a Deaf friend who wants me to do that. Each person is different.

I know you can't really do it that way "Hey! Excuse me, ma'am, yes you, the one walking toward this door here. Would you like me to hold it open for you or would that ruin your day?" But at the same time, I would think those threads about voicing (and the whole context of this forum) would inspire some sensitivity for anyone who doesn't want other people doing unsolicited tasks for them.

I personally don't want a man opening a door for me because I am a woman.* If we are on a date, or in general out with someone I know, then it's fine. And I will open the next door for him. Also if I'm carrying a big pile of packages, anyone (male/female/hermaphrodite/I don't care) can open the door for me and I'll be grateful. And I'd do the same if the other person had the packages. Because they really can't open the door. Women can generally open doors. For some, that gesture can make us feel as though we're thought of as less capable, or at least that chivalry can be related to other attitudes and behaviors that are not helpful or healthy for us.

*If any person wants to offer little courtesies like that to me *as another person* that's fine. It's not always obvious which you're dealing with. I would rather we just all be nice to each other and do things for each other, not just men holding doors open for women. Too one-sided for me. Just feels sort of creepy. One fun thing to do, if a guy does that, and if there are two sets of doors, is to thank him, go on ahead and open the next door for him. If he gets weirded out, I know he's probaby a sexist jerk and I can laugh at him. If he maybe laughs, smiles and thanks me, then it's all good:)

I've held doors open for both men and women, and had them hold them open for me. I don't really care so much unless or until someone would actually be openly, in-my-face, patronizing to me, which I haven't encountered in anyone, especially any possible male - under the age of say, 60<when I write this, I kinda "guestimating" on age based on what I've experienced and am-not-saying all people over age 60 are patronizing>.

I think "old-fashioned" on the one instance, means different things to different people, depending on one's perspective. But in the dictionary, it could have a "formal" meaning.

The point is, I will hold the door open for anyone following me, it is just the way am (was) now I let it close if it is a woman but still hold it open for a man.
The other addition to this is before that I held the door open for a woman who had a man following her, she went through without even touching the door so I could either stay there and wait for the next person or let the door slam in his face.
The problem with all this is that I bet some people think I am rude for letting the door shut as they get there but then they do it to someone else. Over time no has any common courtesy and we're all slamming doors in other peoples faces.

Back