Old-fashioned is a bad thing?

Just to explain why chivalry is dying out, I held a door for a woman recently and she told me I being sexist and she could open the door herself. I was annoyed but you can bet I won't be holding the door for a woman again.
It's just courtesy to hold open the door. Why let the rudeness of one woman change your behavior? Why can't you hold open the door for other women who might appreciate it?

If I go thru a door first and there is a person behind me, I don't let the door slam in their face, regardless of whether it's a man, woman, old, young, etc.

If I see a man approaching a door and he's carrying something or on crutches or has young children in tow of course I'll hold open the door for him to enter first. It's common courtesy. If it's an elderly lady, a mom with a stroller, or a anyone with mobility issues, I'll hold open the door.

In the military, junior holds open the door for senior, male or female.

When a man holds open a door for a woman it's courtesy, not an implication of power over weakness. It's a voluntary act of respect for others.

I see what you saying there, Reba.

a lotta times I really appreciate if someone can hold the door for me if I have a lot of packages.

It depends on the person...

It is the same with women.

If they don't want the door held open for them, if it makes them uncomfortable, if it makes them feel like they are seen as less capable, they have the right to open it themselves, and to express the desire that you not open it for them.
Just because someone is insecure about herself doesn't give her the right to be rude to someone else trying to be polite.

Other women appreciate and enjoy the gesture.
I appreciate the courtesy. I'm a woman who grew up in a sexist era. Young women today don't know what it's like to experience real sexist discrimination. I survived that, including a career in the military. I don't have to prove my capableness to anyone by slinging open my own doors.

Just to explain why chivalry is dying out, I held a door for a woman recently and she told me I being sexist and she could open the door herself. I was annoyed but you can bet I won't be holding the door for a woman again.

she was raised wrong and educated wrong. plain and simple.

you not holding a door open for a lady would put you in a same category as that rude lady.

I'm glad that chivalry is well alive and strong here and wherever I go.

she was raised wrong and educated wrong. plain and simple.

you not holding a door open for a lady would put you in a same category as that rude lady.

I'm glad that chivalry is well alive and strong here and wherever I go.

will you hold a door open for me when i m there? :lol:

I was at the public library once with my hearing dog Finlay and I saw a guy pushing a man in a W/C and trying to carry some boxes into the library. I asked the guy if he needed any help and he said "Yes" so I took some boxes and carried them in one hand and held my dog leash in my other hand and brought the boxes into the library , the guy was worried I was I going 'steal 'his boxes and watched me like a hawk and he never did say Thank you" me. I wanted to say out loud " You're welcome !" I felt a "thank you" would had been nice. I would had said 'Thank you' to you like I always do. That woman is taking women lib way over the top! You could had ask her if she wanted to go through the door again on her own so she would feel better.

Do stay-at-home mom earns money from being stay at home? I have no idea how to receive $$$ if I were staying at home as a mom. Jeez. Both of my older sister and mother are working moms since all of my siblings and I were born. I do not know anyone who is stay-at-mom who are not rich and do travel a lot. I just don't.

I don't think all stay at home moms come from rich homes, they just value staying home more than the extra income from working.

I think I am old fanshioned, but I don't think it is a bad thing. I think you wait until after you are married to have children, and then you stay married to that person. That is how I expect things to go in life, for me and my family, (with exceptions for things like abuse) but if you make different choices, that is your buisiness. It isn't my place to judge.

I also like it when a man holds a door for me. I feel like he is going out of his way to be polite. I would thank a woman who holds the door for me in public too. It isn't about man v woman, but about helping someone out.

Back