New here, and newly deaf

LovedYouAre

Reaction score
Hi! My name is Amy. I am newly deaf. I am having a very hard time adjusting to this all. Thankfully I already knew how to lip read, so I can still communicate with people face to face, for the majority. But I'm having issues with other things. Like talking on the phone. I can't anymore, and have to have someone else pay my bills over the phone. I LOVE music, and now I can't listen at all. I also love watching tv, and while closed captioning is an awesome feature that I never appreciated before, it's just not the same. I've also come across people who think I am just ignoring them and being a bitch, but in reality I just can't hear them! I was a Nanny, and have been for 6 years. I was obviously fired from my job, because who wants a deaf nanny? I have no clue what kind of job to look for being deaf. Who is going to hire me? I feel like I'm hopeless and at a dead end. I am grateful for everything in my life. I am a Godly person, and know that God has a purpose in everything that happens in our lives. But I have yet to see the purpose in this. Maybe I'm supposed to teach with deaf kids? I don't know. I'm kind of stuck in being extremely pissed off and sad right now. I have not accepted this yet. I saw a Dr. yesterday, who informed me that hearing aids, nor cochlear implants will help me. They ran a test that measured my brain's response to sound, and there was nothing, not even a blip, on the screen. So my ears are not even sending any signals to my brain. I think I may not be so mad if it wasn't for the way I lost my hearing. You see, someone took my hearing from me. My psycho ex beat me to a pulp in the head with an alumimum bat. I woke up in the hospital 2 days later, deaf. And worst of all, he is not even in jail. He is on the run, nor paying for what he has done to me.

Sorry for the pity party. I know that can live a full, meaningful, happy life while deaf. I think I just need some time to be mad and sad before I accept this all. Thanks for listening.

Hi there -

I'm sorry to hear about what you've been through. It is normal to be angry and confused at first. It will take time for you to reel all these feelings to come to terms within yourself.

You've came to the right place because this board has plenty of various information and I hope that will help you put some insights into this, at least.

By the way, welcome to AllDeaf! :)

Sorry to hear about the change that you are facing... But with time you will come to embrace the change and accept it more so than you do at the moment... From what you've said, you're adapting quite well...

It's perfectly alright, IMO, to be upset and question why and such... Just learn to be optimistic and positive about the situation and with time you will build up a deeper understanding of self than those who never have to fight a battle of any sort... ;)

Welcome to AD and enjoy your stay!

Oh no! I dont know how you feel as I have been deaf all of my life but how u lost your hearing is terrible! I hope they find the man who did this to you and put him in jail.

What about learning sign language and getting involved with the Deaf community? There are many of us who lost their hearing at an older age and could relate.

As for the nanny job, it is discrimination that you got fired because many deaf people have done jobs in which they take care of children. I have worked as a babysitter when I was a kid and didnt let my deafness stop me. Yes, some of the hearing parents were nervous about hiring me but when I showed them that I was educated and knowledgeable about children including having certifications for CPR and First Aid.

I have two children of my own..if hearing people think deaf people arent capable of taking care of children, they need to be educated big time because for several decades, deaf people have done a good job raising children.

Good luck and hope you enjoy this site!

Thank-you, I really appreciate your responses!

There is not anything I can do about being fired for being deaf. I'm a nanny, I am not paid on the books, they can fire me for whatever reason they feel like. So, I'm up a creek without a paddle.

Amy,

I am sorry to hear what happened, that man deserved to be locked up. You should sue him for every cent it is worth. Understanding, that being deaf can be hard, but it will take time to adjust it. I am deaf since I was born due to measles from my mother.

There is nothing that can stop you, I wish you all the luck you need to get your feet up! :)

And by the way, I'm Jake :cool2:

Welcome Amy. Jake said that very well. I know you will be okay in time. :welcome:

Amy, sorry to hear what happened to you,thats terrible and I hope he's punished. I'm surprised you can lip read so well, thats great. I myself have
had hearing issues all my life ,i'v been deaf but got some hearing back through
surgery.you might try learning asl. I have been learning asl, I really enjoy it and have met a lot of differerent people I would have never met otherwise. I figure sooner or later I won't be able to hear so might as well plan ahead. I know how it feels to hear one day and not the next, I came to accept being deaf, I went through all the frustrations and emotions of hearing problems and the frustrations of other people not believing you can't hear them. People say you don't look like a deaf person. what the hell does that mean?
I was unaware deaf looked different than everyone else. Don't want to go on a rant, I hope the best for you .

Hello Amy

I am sorry that you lost your hearing, however, a lot of us deafies have adapted to the world of silence but life is full of color and wonderful world of blissful being deaf! I have been deaf since birth due to my mother having german measles....some of deafies have been born as hearing but turned deaf later on in their lives.

Yeah, I know how you are going through with abuse and all, I have been there and yeah a lot of the times, guys tend to run away when the law is after their a$$... Just pissed me off whenever one gets beaten up by someone.

My heart goes out to you, amy but remember you will come out stronger than that dumb guy who did that to you... he's a coward....

You are stronger than you think!!

I am sorry that you were hurt and have lost your hearing. Send me a PM if you want to chat sometime.

Thank-you again guys! Every time I come back here to read I am more encouraged :)

I did get a job yesterday! A couple completely trusts me caring for their 18mo old, being deaf. We are going to do a trial run tomorrow where the Mom will be home supervising, so that she can see how timely I respond to the baby not being able to hear, and if she is kept safe as well. If it goes well, I start full time March 9th. This really lifted my spirits!!!

Congrats Amy on the JOB!!!

I have Ménière's Disease which in time I will be Deaf. It is a hard thing for hearing people to deal with because we are so used to "normal". I can't say I know how you feel or what you went through. But the sudden change i can relate to... i'm losing my hearing more everyday but I can handle the unexpected.

You can too! The Job is a good step, there are good people in this world that will help others! Yes God has a plan for everyone even you! Maybe you can't see the path but it is there.

I think it might be a good idea to start looking for ASL classes and joining the Deaf community! Deaf people are no different then hearing people, we are all HUMAN.

It will be hard, but you can do it!

I can't believe that I read your post. It's horrible! I hope that he will be caught, and he will suffer himself in the prison for sure. When does that happened?

It is definitely that they violated your rights due they discriminated you as a deaf employee. I hope that your ADA lawyer will work with you somehow.

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. I am sorry that you had an abusive relationship with your boyfriend now your ex. It is terrible of what he done to you like that. I am just glad that you have survive the attack from him. I do hope the cops will find him and put him in jail or go to prison for long time. Congratulation on getting a job as a nanny. Hurrah!!! I am giving you an :hug:.

Back