(Near Sidewalk with Dead End) Caution: Deaf and Blind Children

GraysonPeddie

Eye/Hear/Speech Impaired
Premium Member
Reaction score
Can someone please tell me what is the meaning of this?

Flint, MI on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I came across this photo while in the website called CompleteStreets.org and I went into the Flickr web page containing incomplete streets:
Incomplete Streets - a set on Flickr

I'm in Orlando, FL and I've never seen this sign before.

I haven't seen the sign that said "Caution Deaf and Blind Children" but since it is in Flint, MI where Michigan School for the Deaf is located. I assumed it is because of the students playing nearby or crossing the street. I don't know how much of the deaf kids are blind or near blind as well.

I grew up in Michigan but I didn't attend MSD. Is there anybody here who knows MSD well?

Ahh... (!) Somehow, I didn't get the logic that there are deaf/blind kids playing nearby the street. :roll: I'd rather have signs be more descriptive than saying "Deaf and Blind Children." It's confusing for me.

There used to not be a sign near Florida School for the Deaf and Blind in St. Augustine, FL, where I graduated there with a special diploma (2002) and got a GED in Tallahassee (2006). There used to be sidewalks everywhere and it's an electronically-controlled (with cameras) gated school for deaf/blind.

Perhaps these signs are only for motorists and bicyclists?

Thanks.

Yes, I know the signs are made of sheet of metal and it's yellow. I'm not colorblind.

Sorry for the sarcasms.

I have seen them before, usually near Deaf schools. Don't know about blind institutes since I have never been to them.

Usually they have a "''Caution: ____" Insert the ___ with "deer" "buffalo" "kids" "dogs" and so on. They are meant to remind motorists to slow down and realize the consequences of speeding.

It looks like it's located where there's a deaf/blind institution or something.

It's possible that the sidewalk ended right there because that's the boundary for the deaf/blind institute property.

It's likely for motorists that are driving in the area.

My elementary school has a similar sign for deaf students, not blind.

So that sidewalk is the property of the deaf/blind institution? Interesting...

That could explain that the street is incomplete; meaning, pedestrians are forced to walk on grass and those who are using a bicycle (I'm not talking specifically about mountain bikes) or a wheelchair are forced to ride in the road.

So that sidewalk is the property of the deaf/blind institution? Interesting...

That could explain that the street is incomplete; meaning, pedestrians are forced to walk on grass and those who are using a bicycle (I'm not talking specifically about mountain bikes) or a wheelchair are forced to ride in the road.
I'm not saying that the sidewalk is on school property. I'm saying that it probably ends on school property. If the sidewalk was on school property, wouldn't the sign be facing the other way. Whatever lies behind the sign would likely be considered school property. In that case, there's no sidewalk beyond the sign.

The reason why there's probably no sidewalk is because it's private property and they want to discourage people from walking on private property.

It looks like it's located where there's a deaf/blind institution or something.

It's possible that the sidewalk ended right there because that's the boundary for the deaf/blind institute property.

It's likely for motorists that are driving in the area.

My elementary school has a similar sign for deaf students, not blind.

I don't think it's limited to nearby schools because there's a similar sign near my home and the nearest school (elementary) is a little over a mile away. I think its just the parents that requested a sign be placed due to their child and wanting an extra safety measure.

I don't think it's limited to nearby schools because there's a similar sign near my home and the nearest school (elementary) is a little over a mile away. I think its just the parents that requested a sign be placed due to their child and wanting an extra safety measure.
That's also another possibility. :thumb:

One of the links in your signature is dead.
Whoever you're talking to... I suggest you send that member a PM. You're likely to get seen/heard faster. :thumb:

Anyways, it makes more sense that it would be a deaf/blind institution since the sidewalk ends there. Residential areas usually have sidewalks while private institutions rarely have sidewalks.

I haven't seen the sign that said "Caution Deaf and Blind Children" but since it is in Flint, MI where Michigan School for the Deaf is located. I assumed it is because of the students playing nearby or crossing the street. I don't know how much of the deaf kids are blind or near blind as well.

I grew up in Michigan but I didn't attend MSD. Is there anybody here who knows MSD well?
Bingo!

If you zoom in on the picture, you will see the black and white sign in the background. It says "Michigan School for the Deaf."

p.s. It also says something about an annual craft show.

Bingo!

If you zoom in on the picture, you will see the black and white sign in the background. It says "Michigan School for the Deaf."

p.s. It also says something about an annual craft show.
Wow... good eye! I never thought to zoom in.

Well, in case you all are wondering... here's the larger image.

Flickr Photo Download: Flint, MI

It should be more readable for some of you. :thumb:

At my primary school that i used to go to, there was a sign outside the school saying
Caution, deaf children.

There is a sign on a road I drive on all the time that says 'Caution, Deaf Child At Play'. I've been driving past it for for at least 20 years, and I imagine the child is like 30-something by now, and I wonder if he/she is still at play, LOL!

There is a sign on a road I drive on all the time that says 'Caution, Deaf Child At Play'. I've been driving past it for for at least 20 years, and I imagine the child is like 30-something by now, and I wonder if he/she is still at play, LOL!

One of life's greatest mysteries best left unexplained. :laugh2:

It just means to be cautious because there are deaf and blind children in the area.

Back