Name this breed! My new Puppy!

LadySekhmet

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I posted here a month ago about Blackjack. After a couple days, my fiance asked if we could get a dog. We want to adopt more cats, but none of the shelters would allow us to adopt until 6 months has passed after Blackjack's passing due to FIP (which I think is BS, but we need to abide by their rules). I was surprised, so we started on our search. After a month and meeting dozens of dogs, we found the perfect one.

The shelter says that she's a Terrier mix, but I have suspicions that she's a Border Collie mix. She's only 4 months old and is SO smart. I adopted her Friday, and she already knows the Come, Sit, Leave It, and Go Potty commands. She does need a little bit of work with the leash. She has no problem following me, but if she stops in her tracks, and I try to tug the leash a little, she gets a little bit haywire. So, she needs a little training in that area. This is our first dog.

We named her Stardust after the defunct hotel in Las Vegas. The one thing that's throwing me off from Border Collie breed is she's completely white, with exception of one black ear, and small black spots around her muzzle and other ear. She's smallish. 8 pounds and 1 foot tall from paw to shoulder.
Since I'm not familiar with puppies or detecting their breed, I thought I could ask here for what you think she is.

Let's Welcome Stardust to the AD pet family!
3356550927_28a72983b0_o.jpg

Ignore the e-collar. :) She was spayed on Thursday. All animals must be spayed/neutered and microchipped before leaving any shelter in Las Vegas. :)

Last edited:
She is really cute, and I can see how you think Border Collie, but at 8 lbs and 4 months old, that is incredibly tiny.

How about Jack Russel/Pomeranian?

She is really cute, and I can see how you think Border Collie, but at 8 lbs and 4 months old, that is incredibly tiny.

How about Jack Russel/Pomeranian?

Jack Russell are very hyper, and Stardust is FAR from that. She whines, but never barked. She just likes to sit next to me and completely ignores the cats. She also has a rough coat that's similar to a Border Collie. I think Jacks mostly have short hair and smooth coat.

A Pom?! Nah. She does not have the fluffy face, and she's bigger than a Pom. She doesn't have the big fluffy fur around the face (most poms are red anyways), and Stardust's snout is bigger than a Pom.

Border Collies, (I used to have one who I really loved) tend to herd cats and children. They are pretty intense.

Jack Russell are very hyper, and Stardust is FAR from that. She whines, but never barked. She just likes to sit next to me and completely ignores the cats. She also has a rough coat that's similar to a Border Collie. I think Jacks mostly have short hair and smooth coat.

A Pom?! Nah. She does not have the fluffy face, and she's bigger than a Pom. She doesn't have the big fluffy fur around the face (most poms are red anyways), and Stardust's snout is bigger than a Pom.
My friend has a Jack Russel and he's not very hyper. He can get excited at times, but that's like every other dog.

They vary. :)

My friend has a Jack Russel and he's not very hyper. He can get excited at times, but that's like every other dog.

They vary. :)

True true...I was told that Russells tend to get hyper/excited at times. I rarely pay attention to dogs, so I'm probably jumping to conclusion, but I do not believe our dog is Jack Russell mix.

The puppy do sort of look like it is crossed with a, Wired Haired Jack Russel. :dunno:

If you really want to know. You can take your dog to the vet and they can draw blood. They can find out exactly what breeds the pup is crossed with.

Hmm...that sorta look like Stardust. I have seen quite a few poms. Their noses are always small and short. Stardust is 8 pounds and a foot tall. Too small to be a full size border collie, but possible be one of the larger Poms. Hmm...we'll never know, unless if I do the DNA tests.

Regardless of Stardust's breed. She is still a cutie! :D

I have seen some miniature collies, So she may very well have those traits too.

Hmm...that sorta look like Stardust. I have seen quite a few poms. Their noses are always small and short. Stardust is 8 pounds and a foot tall. Too small to be a full size border collie, but possible be one of the larger Poms. Hmm...we'll never know, unless if I do the DNA tests.
My family used to have a dog that was a Border Collie and Akita Inu mix. It had the look of a Border Collie, but had the size and a curly tail of an Akita Inu. :)

Cuter puppy. For walking her, instead of using a collar, get one of those anti-pull harnesses. They are great.

It's pretty hard to tell what she is without seeing her behavior. That's what will help you ID her breeds more than anything. She looks darn tootin cute! If 8 lbs at 4 monhts; she'll probaly top out at about 30 pounds which could be a little dog/big dog mix. So BC is a definite possibility! There are many small BC.
Short-haired dog like JRT could be in her as her long hair could be the recessive gene.
We look foreard to hearing more about your pup as she matures!
Check out post 15 on my blog for a free online training program!

I thought I'd point out that Jack Russell Terriers come in three coat types, smooth, broken and rough. So they are not all short haired dogs. Mine is technically a broken coat (a mixture of smooth and rough) but he has only a couple small spots of smooth fur, and they get hidden by the long fur if I don' keep him clipped shorter.

I thought I'd point out that Jack Russell Terriers come in three coat types, smooth, broken and rough. So they are not all short haired dogs. Mine is technically a broken coat (a mixture of smooth and rough) but he has only a couple small spots of smooth fur, and they get hidden by the long fur if I don' keep him clipped shorter.
Yeah. I have a friend who had a furry Jack Russell. :)

It's pretty hard to tell what she is without seeing her behavior. That's what will help you ID her breeds more than anything. She looks darn tootin cute! If 8 lbs at 4 monhts; she'll probaly top out at about 30 pounds which could be a little dog/big dog mix. So BC is a definite possibility! There are many small BC.
Short-haired dog like JRT could be in her as her long hair could be the recessive gene.
We look foreard to hearing more about your pup as she matures!
Check out post 15 on my blog for a free online training program!

She has medium length hair. On her curly tail, she has long hair.

Hmm - I'll try my best with explaining her behavior.

She picks up commands very quickly. She knows: Come, Go Potty, Leave it, Stay, Wait (for when I want to wait until I take the leash off, she automatically waits every time, so she knows the routine), Sit, NO (this was an easy one, she would lick her incisions a little, so Roy would have a commanding NO, so she knows), and OW No bite, (when she's mouthing me, it doesn't hurt, but I've heard that if you ignore it or allow your puppy do that, it will continue throughout adulthood. So I'm nipping that in the bud!).

I'm working on "Bedtime" command in hopes she will go in her crate for bed willingly. Right now she kind of just wants to get out/play/or avoid going in. So I just encourage her to go in, and give her a couple treats that's hidden around her crate. She will whine for a couple minutes, then just settles down and sleep.

She is very playful, but only in short bursts, then she naps. She seem to like to chase after my cats sometimes, so I think she may have some herding traits maybe? She leaves them alone if my cats hiss at her.

She seldom barks. She doesn't like the guy across the street. Not a very booming bark, but more of a yip. She is VERY loyal. No matter where I am, she is always on my side.

I love her to pieces! She's going through the chewing phrase now, so she likes the rawhide and the puppy Kong. I switch them out to keep it exciting. She has never chewed on anything else, but her toys.

If I want to in the future, I can get the DNA Breed test. It's only $65. Not too bad! So we'll see.

Sounds like a smartie! Does she do any 'eye'ing of toys etc? Or does she like to pounce much? Dig at things? Is she a barker? Very high prey drive?
Sounds like a real snuggler!
My dad's tiny BC spends any time she is not running around being active doing the 101 things he has taught her flopped on his lap on his arm chair, usually with her chin on a leg so if he moves, she knows it immediately when she is asleep.
Of course, time will tell what her natural tendancies/abilities are but she is really cute!

Sounds like a smartie! Does she do any 'eye'ing of toys etc? Or does she like to pounce much? Dig at things? Is she a barker? Very high prey drive?
Sounds like a real snuggler!
My dad's tiny BC spends any time she is not running around being active doing the 101 things he has taught her flopped on his lap on his arm chair, usually with her chin on a leg so if he moves, she knows it immediately when she is asleep.
Of course, time will tell what her natural tendancies/abilities are but she is really cute!

Eyeing of a toy - no, except for a sheet of towel which my fiance finds hilarious to see her destroy.

No pouncing, no digging, no barking. She so far has only barked a few times. I don't think she has a high prey drive. She's a bit of a shyster.

I went for a vet check, and the people there and the vet thinks that she's more of a terrier mix. She's smart though! :)

I think that your dog is probably mixed with Collie and Jack Russell. That's unusual for me to see your dog in the picture. I learned that Jack Russell dogs' health is tough to detect a health problem which is not a good sign. I really loved my Jack Russell, and she was four years old - we don't know how she got so sick - maybe Lyme Disease. We always check on her for ticks, and I guess that we missed a very tiny tick on her skin. We were told that Frontline and other brands do not prove that they can kill the ticks. We gave her a Frontline every three months for two years (not in the winter). Oh well. Your dog is white which is so much easier for you to check on her for ticks. My other dog is brown and most black is very hard for us to find any ticks on her.

I think that it cost 50 dollars to send the blood test (DNA) to a lab. I am so sure that you will love your dog as the best.

Titer blood test is important to find out that how strong your dog fights the germs. We do that once a year. I think maybe twice might be better. Unfortunately, my dog had titer last October and she was very sick within three days which was in December. It is really hard - that's why Jack Russell is tough in health issue. Of course, we never ban any dog or Jack Russell, and we all love the dogs. I am glad that you are happy with Stardust. It's a good name.

It is extremely important that your dog needs many good toys. I bet that she will be crazy to hear the honks from the toys. I had a nice squirrel stuff animal, and it was her favorite toy. I hope that you will take your dog to look at some dog shows in your area. I absolutely never put my dog in any cage in my house and my truck. She loved to sit on the platform in the front between two seats in my truck, and I loved it. I hope that your dog will not be afraid of water in the pond or beach. I never force my dog in the water. We were in the water that made her thinking to join with us. That's how it works. It takes some time for your dog to adjust new environments.

Back