My first official ASL Video on YouTube

Dixie

Farting Snowflakes
Premium Member
Reaction score
Rate it, slam it, tell me what you think of it. :afro:

[yt]oi0Eam3gOBg[/yt]

i dont know what to say because I dont understand.
sorry!

I prefer lipread most.

Dixie -

First of all, I would like to commend you on putting your first ASL video and posting it here for everyone to see. That must've not been easy to do this because you don't know which responses you'd be getting in here. It'd help a lot since the more opinions you get, the more you will know how to improvise yourself with the signing.

On the contrary, I want to be clear that I'm not going to nitpick you on for your signing skills. It is not my intention to slam this in a bad way. I'm just going to say my piece and how I see it.

Your ASL is pretty good but it needs a bit more practicing. It seems to be a little bit sloppy and I have noticed the sign you were using "home" is a bit exaggerated. The proper sign would be starting at - under the lip to just right before the ear (across the cheek). You were using the end of "home" sign on your ear. Perhaps if you can, you should start to try to put some "firmness" into your signing so that way it will be read clearly. Also, When you signed up in the air, it was a bit hard to see since it was sorta out of the view.

It's a start but you're doing good and you're on your way to become much improved with the ASL. So, Keep practicing and you will excel! ;)

You are very brave to show your first ASL video. I am not sure if it was the Star Spangled banner you were signing. Please correct me if I am wrong. :ty:

Nice, but you need to cut those when you just stand with your head down for seconds, it usually bored deaf people because they don't understand the pattern of the music.

Just a advice ;)

I applaud you for sharing this with us not knowing what kind of comments u could get. *applause*

You are not bad for a beginner. I agree with Jolie and Puyo...I would add one more feedback. Need to use more facial expressions as if u are showing your feelings relating to the song. Like with singing songs using voices, the voices change pitch or tone to show the emotions of the song. Facial expressions is like the same thing for deaf people. :)

Congrats on your first video. I dont have the guts! LOL!

I tried to convey as much expression into as I could - I think perhaps the camera isnt picking up the facial expressions or I'm not doing them even though I think I am! I just wish I were a bit more coordinated, and I agree my signs are sloppy joes right now, lol. Is there anything out there that can help me on firming up my signs?

As for standing there with my head low the reason is this: The music minister only wants the chorus signed, not the whole enchilada, so for now I am only learning the chorus though as I get better and more fluent I may also learn the rest of the song in ASL.

I really do appreciate the feedback, I'm open to constructive criticism and in the long run I'll be a much improved signer. Hopefully in 3 or 4 weeks I'll have a much improved video to show you. Any other suggestions posted would be greatly appreciated. :)

I tried to convey as much expression into as I could - I think perhaps the camera isnt picking up the facial expressions or I'm not doing them even though I think I am! I just wish I were a bit more coordinated, and I agree my signs are sloppy joes right now, lol. Is there anything out there that can help me on firming up my signs?

As for standing there with my head low the reason is this: The music minister only wants the chorus signed, not the whole enchilada, so for now I am only learning the chorus though as I get better and more fluent I may also learn the rest of the song in ASL.

I really do appreciate the feedback, I'm open to constructive criticism and in the long run I'll be a much improved signer. Hopefully in 3 or 4 weeks I'll have a much improved video to show you. Any other suggestions posted would be greatly appreciated. :)

You are doing great ;) Just need alittle improve that's all, no biggie :D

At the begining, why are you hiding the curtain net for? It must be connect to the story in your sign language since as I don't understand ASL song at all :) If not, please trying to film with a plain background to allow deafies focus in your ASL full.

Satisfactory. :)

i dont know what to say because I dont understand.
sorry!

I prefer lipread most.

Me either too don't able to understand most ASL after all doesn't matter how much i have try able to understand when watch video or you tube, the problem that i don't able to understand because when they use ASL without lipreads or body language too either and facial expressions nothing . no offense. I does want try to be able to understand but it just all went over my head. Yet know the sign language are wonderful gestures.

:)

The deal with the curtain is because I draped it over the computer to hide the mess beneath it! LOL. The song I'm signing (or well supposed to be) is the chorus of Another Soldier's Coming Home. It is a Christian song about a soldier who has fought many wars and now has died in battle and will join Christ at Heaven's Table. The song is peaceful then at the last chorus it climaxes and I tried to convey that with the exaggerated signs and really getting in to it. The lyrics are bitter sweet, the soldier has died in battle and now he is 'home' with Christ. I dont want to look so solemn that it comes across as being bored to tears, but at the same time I want to show the honor that I have for this soldier, and being thankful and rejoicing for his arrival in Heaven. It is bittersweet. Any suggestions as to what facial expressions I might use and what body language I might incorporate to convey that??

As for the background and the top part being cut off, in hindsight, I should have backed the camera up another foot and it probably would have been fine. And I tried using a plain white background and wearing a dark plain shirt so that you may be able to see my signs. I may do a remake later. Should I use a light blue sheet as a backdrop then wear a dark plain shirt, would that help a bit??

How long you learn ASL in songs? If not long, give it a time and practice. You doing a good job so far, but yet, more you practice and even in mirror if you look yourself if you understand as of testing. Yes, expression is the key and signing must follow the rythym. Not sure, I have noticed that there are lot of words in the song, but you didn't sign or you just sign on the chorus part. Not so sure. Smile.

Ive been learning to sign to music for the past week or two as I have been learning ASL via lifeprint and ASL browser. Not just looking at signs and burning them into my head, but actually going through the lessons they have provided. Right now I'm on lesson 4 of unit 1 in lifeprint.com. I try to spend about a week on each lesson and test myself at the end of the week. I wish lifeprint actually had all the lessons they list, but half the stuff I click on I get a "under construction" message. At least I am learning and now when I speak I am able to sometime visualize the signs in my head thinking - "OK I would probably sign it this way."

I have just made an impromptu remake of the video and it should be on you tube in a couple of hours after some converting, editing, and uploading. Once it is up, I'll post here. I did it so that the background is clearer, nothing is cut off and the signs are correct for the most part on both choruses. I tried steadying up my signs where it doesnt look like I am flapping my hands uncoordinatedly. See you guys in a bit. :afro:

also, if you are going to wear black, please be sure that a little light is added so people can see you vividly.

Religious song signings always seem to be very flowy and the signs usually just flow into each other. Very few deaf people ever understand them that way. It is common, though.

I didnt understand the signs either. Ive been a deaf chorus for a couple of years while back so from my experience, the signs used for the songs are not straight ASL but more flowly so to match the song's rythem/beat. Also the signs are too look pretty for the hearing audience as well. Plus it is hard to find the correct signs to express the meaning of the words in the song. So its normal to have hard time understanding the signs during the song because it not normal ASL.

asl song

first off congrats on your williness to do wht others r afraid to do. i teach asl and right now we are doing a song "love in any language"by sandi patti.everyone is right about your signs.......but if you get up and preform thats one for me its very hard to stand and show sign in song .

Signing ASL to an English song is very difficult! I understand that you want to keep the words used in the song to match the signs, but you want it to be ASL at the same time! It's like scrambling it up and then unscrambling it again. :bump:

I understand the exaggerated signs because I can hear the rise in the music. To someone who doesn't know ASL, it would look like an expressive dance.
I think you did a great job! Signing to songs is not easy! :applause:

Thanks for the comments guys. My signing seems to have improved with many hours spent in front of the full length mirror.

It is hard to learn ASL to a song because I want it to be in the correct ASL 'format' (I can't think of the right word at the moment), but at the same time I want the words to sort of match the lyrics so that the audience will also get it. It is very much like scrambling and then re-scrambling. The hard part is that I had nothing to go by on this song so I was having to come up with the best interpretation. I spent a good two days on coming up with it.

My other signers in the choir where tucking their tails a bit when they saw me do it and they were like - 'and we're supposed to do all of that?"

"Yup" :D

But I kept my patience and spent some time with them one-on-one making sure they understood the signs as well as the concept we are trying to convey as ASL is not strictly word-for-word. But I can tell one of them is still 'cheating' a bit and keeps looking at me for the next sign, so at the last practice I intentionally fouled up to see if they really were learning or not. Nope, the one is still following me, so I pulled her off to the side and told her gently that she was going to have to learn to get into her own zone and do these signs.

I also sat them all down and told them to REALLY get into it, use facial expressions, body language and whatnot and had them watch actual deaf people sign on you tube so they can see what I mean. They were surprised that they were able to get the message on facial expressions and body language. I think they understand that part now.

As for me, Ive gotten a tad rusty lately as I've been busy with work, my second job training retrievers, and playing momma. But I hope to pick back up on the lessons soon when things calm down a bit around here.

Back