My education/career decision has been made

Mimsy

Reaction score
After a lot of thinking, nervousness, researching and getting valued advice, I've decided not to go to Cornell for a doctorate in Veterinary Science. Instead, I am now enrolled in a community college close to home (I will be able to live at home) for A.A.S. Degree in Veterinary Technology/ Veterinary Technician Program. I will not finish out my senior year at NYU either. The community college has an 18 month program for an Associate in Applied Science in Vet Tech. So instead of becoming an animal doctor, I'll sort of be an animal nurse or sorts. The good thing is that since I have all the animal science credits finished, I only need the 8 month clinical internship. I will still be working to help and save animals, but will have avoided all the stresses of moving upstate away from my family and without Luca. I am registered and begin September 5th. I will be interning 6 weeks at the Brooklyn Humane Society clinic, then the Animal Hospital of Manhattan and then in a private practice not yet chosen for me.

I know I have disappointed my parents and family, but my college counselor, my psychiatrist, my priest and my professors all agree that if this is what I feel will be best for me considering my anxiety disorder, then I must go forward with it. I am so relieved that everything is falling into place nicely for me. was a basket case a few weeks ago when I found out I was early admitted to Cornell. I was absolutely not emotionally ready.

Anyway, enough of that, I'm relaxed and happy, I'll still be with animals which I adore, and I hope I can do good service to them in their care. I think in time my parents will be proud of me, I hope and pray.

So here I am in my hiding place among you, where I feel safe and accepted. YAY!

Anxiety is conquerable. I failed and failed my first attempt at college despite literally having a genius i. q. Why? I was too scared to sit up front where I could hear the professor well, and definitely did not want an interpreter. Now Im back at college, sitting in the front. Can hear mostly everything and Im just ripping through the material. You should reconsider... Cornell is prestigious. But it IS your decision.

After a lot of thinking, nervousness, researching and getting valued advice, I've decided not to go to Cornell for a doctorate in Veterinary Science. Instead, I am now enrolled in a community college close to home (I will be able to live at home) for A.A.S. Degree in Veterinary Technology/ Veterinary Technician Program. I will not finish out my senior year at NYU either. The community college has an 18 month program for an Associate in Applied Science in Vet Tech. So instead of becoming an animal doctor, I'll sort of be an animal nurse or sorts. The good thing is that since I have all the animal science credits finished, I only need the 8 month clinical internship. I will still be working to help and save animals, but will have avoided all the stresses of moving upstate away from my family and without Luca. I am registered and begin September 5th. I will be interning 6 weeks at the Brooklyn Humane Society clinic, then the Animal Hospital of Manhattan and then in a private practice not yet chosen for me.

I know I have disappointed my parents and family, but my college counselor, my psychiatrist, my priest and my professors all agree that if this is what I feel will be best for me considering my anxiety disorder, then I must go forward with it. I am so relieved that everything is falling into place nicely for me. was a basket case a few weeks ago when I found out I was early admitted to Cornell. I was absolutely not emotionally ready.

Anyway, enough of that, I'm relaxed and happy, I'll still be with animals which I adore, and I hope I can do good service to them in their care. I think in time my parents will be proud of me, I hope and pray.

It's good that you've made your decision to go that way. It's never to late to go back to college for more.

This is a good place to begin. Once you get your degree and head into the veterinary field, that will help you improve yourself while learning everything in the field. If you feel ready to get more certified or to get another degree in the same field, then you can always go back to school for more. :)

Who cares what other people say. Only the good people are the ones who are supportive and help you through school. :thumb:

Good for you! You can get the advanced degree when you are ready.

Mimsy.. I think ya will do well at community college.. when ya are indeed ready for Cornell, ya will know it is time.. i think it's a good idea to do what ya have planned to do now so ya can get used to everything and more.. good challenges for ya to see, how ya do well will tell what your future regarding further education is..

:grouphug:

I know it wasn't an easy decision to make but you did it! that's a milestone you've made in your life.

Who cares what other people say. Only the good people are the ones who are supportive and help you through school. :thumb:

+1

You're the one who has to live your life every day. If you went and did what they wanted, they'd just complain about you being unhappy all the time instead.

Well done and good luck.

that great mims,if you happy then that has to be positive when looking after animals...nothing written in stone one day you may want go to cornel uni..i a mother and would not have wanted my boy to gone somewhere he be unhappy or cause emotional problems....no worry about mum and dad they love you. i know as a mother your happyness and welfare be most important thing to them...good luck with chosen path it sounds lovely one

being emotionally ready is better than not being ready. Shrug. You may end up changing careers after college and etc. but it's more important how you are now. you are safe and turning down cornell is not the first time that it's happened. I did it and it's not a big deal anymore. I'm very happy I went to the school I went to and ended up changing careers anyways :lol:

Hey props to you for doing what you feel is right. Allowing others to influence major decisions like that rarely works out.

Back