Moving From Az To Nyc Want To Make New Friends To Make Transfer Easier.

Krystina Ehrlich

Reaction score
Hi I'm Kryssie,
I am a second semester asl student, I fell in love with asl when my daughter was born 10 weeks early and was told she would progress faster if I taught her asl as her first language. I decided last year I wanted to put my love of sign to use and become an interpreter. This month I was informed by my husband we need to move to NYC for his new job. I have enjoyed my asl classes here in AZ but will need to wait to continue classes after I establish residency in NYC. In the mean time I want to keep up my skills (small as they are) and hopefully, make lasting friends in the NYC Deaf community. I would like to chat via skype or facetime or other such programs until I am in NYC and then meet in person once I am there.

Please let me know,
Kryssie.

Tousi

Reaction score
Welcome to AD, Krystina. Has your daughter progressed in the way you mentioned?

JulJoy84

Reaction score
Welcome Alldeaf Kryssie, Yeah there is a lot deaf people around in NYC but a huge deaf community is in Rochester, NY. I used to live there for a college called National Technical Institute for the Deaf (NTID) of Rochester Institute of Technology. I met a lot of deaf people there and some of them told me they are from NYC. They are my friends. I grew up in upstate NY there is 4 hours away from NYC. You can meet a lot of new deaf people around in NYC for deaf event.
You can take more ASL class at different college when move there. I assume that have been provided great programs. So my 2 years old daughter learned sign language quickly since she was born when I taught her. She could remember signs by herself without my help. She's very smart. She loves using it. Proud of her! :)

Last edited:

iMaisie

Resident Glaswegian
Reaction score
:welcome:

Sadly, I don't live in the states and I don't use skype or such but there's lots of people who do! Hope you find someone.