Marlee Matlin

JulJoy84

Reaction score
Hello, everybody!

My name is Juliet. I would like to ask a few questions about a famous deaf actress, Marlee Matlin. Yesterday I finished watching TV show called "The L Word" that Marlee's role as Jodi Lerner. I noticed she was using lipread when she talked a lot and also sign language in that show. I saw the interpreter was there with her that were some of this show scenes. I heard she was talking without using sign language that was amazing. I thought she was full deaf because I have seen other show called "Switched at Birth that she who plays Melody Bledsoe. I've heard from my friends who did mention her name a lot and I didn't really know who she was. I've recently curious about her when I was researching online, but some articles are fiction. I wonder if anyone knows her well and she could lipreading of her real life. Has anyone ever met her in a person? I wish I could meet her in a person. but maybe someday.

Last edited:
She is a good lip reader and speaks well. She prefer to use sign language interpreter for all of her occasions.

I'm still disappointed she married a cop......

Ah well...
I found her a real bitch in person too..

Last edited:
A lot of people say she is rude, bitchy, and hard to work with
On film though she seems like a great role model.

To move on from the above opinions... she did write a book called I'll Scream Later. That might fill in some info for you. She may have been raised with both oral and ASL... and I do recall she does wear hearing aids (or did at one time..)

She's also a recovering addict too. And it's good she beat it.

Why do people say she's rude and bitch? What did she do? I thought she was a great actress.

Okay, I will check it out...thanks Deaf Ducky
To move on from the above opinions... she did write a book called I'll Scream Later. That might fill in some info for you. She may have been raised with both oral and ASL... and I do recall she does wear hearing aids (or did at one time..)

Why do people say she's rude and bitch? What did she do? I thought she was a great actress.
Have you met her in a person? I met her once and she was being disrespectful and want to get out as soon as she can after standing on the stage with a fake smile.

Wow! I don't really understand why she was being disrespectful when you met her. No I haven't met her in a person.

Have you met her in a person? I met her once and she was being disrespectful and want to get out as soon as she can after standing on the stage with a fake smile.

I have not meet her in person but I think she feels in titled. She is a well known deaf actresses who can speak and read lips well. She is am amazing actresses but that doesn't make her a good person.

He

her acting ability is a different issue then my or others views of her being a bitch...or rude. We all have our faults..

I tend to bring the best out of people so that's one of mine...;-)

I'm not knocking what she did. Her success. She did what she had too, though I could go into my deeper theories here, but I'll be a gentleman.

I have not meet her in person but I think she feels in titled. She is a well known deaf actresses who can speak and read lips well. She is am amazing actresses but that doesn't make her a good person.

I wouldn't sign she's amazing actress.

But I have some cuffs ready when ever she's willing..

Thus I'm open to changing my mind..

Its annoying to be around fawning judgemental deaf people who is quick to backstab so dont blame her for being quick to get the hell away from some of you guys

https://tar2006.wordpress.com/2008/03/18/marlee-matlin-enough/

I found this video about her , it's with ASL and no CC so I have no idea what is being said

This is from 2008. Short version- she is basically discussing MM's choices in roles and how the roles where she speaks 'presents the wrong image to hearing people about deaf people'. The comment section is fairly enlightening too. People are going to love or hate MM; people are going to praise or denigrate ASL (or oralism for that matter...). Same story..."This is better than that and that's the way it has to be!" rather than "every deaf person is different in their own way regarding communication etc but all have the commonality of...being deaf".

Not sure if the original poster of the link will read this but oh well, I'll express my thoughts anyway :D.

I think a lot of deafies are quick to judge because a lot of people see her as a symbol for the deaf community and a lot of the deaf community think she is more hearing than deaf. I could care less either way. I like her as an actor and will most likely never get the chance to meet her in person.

I think a lot of deafies are quick to judge because a lot of people see her as a symbol for the deaf community and a lot of the deaf community think she is more hearing than deaf. I could care less either way. I like her as an actor and will most likely never get the chance to meet her in person.
I never give her any thought and could care less how Marlee Matlin see herself , she has a right to live her life that she feel the most comfortable . She doesn't have to
be a part of the deaf community if she doesn't want to.

Really. Personally I think Marlee has thick enough skin to not much give a shit what others think., that's also part of her training as an actress.

The price of fame, the price of being a famouS person in a community. Is obviously yOur always going to have others discussing their opinions of you.

Her field is not one of being a hermit.

She is an actor. She's won an academy award.

No other field is as visual or as watched..

It would be rather absurd for non one to hold opinions of an actor who's gone as far as she has...nor ever share them

The very nature of her line of work is
"Watch me, what do you think"

I don't see any plm with any one holding their different ideas on her. Her work or her bitchiness for that matter.

That's what her field thrives on
And she knows it.

Back