Votes: 1 6.3%
  • NO!

Votes: 6 37.5%
  • I don't know

Votes: 9 56.3%

• Total voters

Fly Free

Reaction score
and knew at that other thread wasnt for discussing abt in regards to this issue -- HAVE any of u seen kids growing up with the education of "phonics for reading" program qq especially those who has hearing kids or have hearing family members that grew up with that program --

here in the mid atlantic region our hearing kids are taught that method while young in elementary school and it PEEVES the hell out of me cuz ive watched my hearing neice and nephew be taught that and their spelling is HORRIBLE!!!!!!!!! and i have to ask them to please define the word theyre trying to spell cuz its sometimes very difficult to try and figure out what theyre trying to write/type -- ive pointed that out to my sister whos their mom and my mother and told them that teaching them by reading and spelling is the best way to go -- and pointed out Deaf children can be taught reading and have good spelling skills WITHOUT use of "phonics" which i thought was blantant BS by the county's department of education and they said its a "good" program :eek: i think NOT!!!!!!!!!

what is ur take on this issue qq

Originally posted by Katzie
What exactly is a "phonics for reading" program?

Katzie -- its basically reading by phonics -- like "i am going to store" the kid would be pronouncing that sentence while reading

The "Phonics for Reading" program is highly recommended for HoH and Deaf children in a mainstreaming setting. I highly recommend it because I was mainstreamed myself and I have good english comprehension. Ms. Grammar Nazi can vouch for me! ;) I strongly enforce the program because so many Deaf people have very weak english comprehension skills. It's very important to have good writing skills to help you in the future when you are in the business world, especially when you are in the hearing world. We cannot isolate ourselves into the Deaf world... this is a "mainstreamed" world whether we like it or not. The picture is not black and white.. there's grey in the picture, too.

Originally posted by Fly Free
Katzie -- its basically reading by phonics -- like "i am going to store" the kid would be pronouncing that sentence while reading

Fly Free... don't you mean "I am going to the store"?

Originally posted by Freaky
Fly Free... don't you mean "I am going to the store"?

*stands corrected* hahaha sowwy i neglected the "the" my bad :-x

Not a problem Fly Free!! ;) I'm very open-minded about education, especially with mainstreaming and Deaf education. I have had both experiences and I elected to go with mainstreaming. Mainstreaming offered more for me and my Deaf family made sure I was still connected with the Deaf world. I still believe each child has different learning abilites. I will not enforce a child to go to the mainstreaming setting, if that child is not able to learn in a mainstreamed setting then I would accomodate his/her needs. Deaf education would suit his/her needs much better. Deaf children grasp better english comprehension with visuals. It is my firm belief to teach them english comprehension at a young age when they have innate abilites to learn and before the "window of learning" closes. My heart always goes out when I see a Deaf child being isolated in a hearing classroom and not given the adequate education he/she has the opportunity to learn. This is the reason why I am going back to college to get my Early Childhood Education degree, I want to teach Deaf children. Thanks, Fly Free, for starting this thread!! ;)

LOL.... That poll doesn't give much choice, I think. I'd choose an option that would say oral method doesnt work for everyone, but it can be a good way to teach others based on their preferences and style. Freaky and others in here have already mentioned it worked for them. I say that's good for them!

As for myself... I failed miserably with the oral method, so my teachers tried a visual approach with me.. that succeeded. It takes tough love... that's all. My dad was very anal about me getting quality education, and enforced me to follow through. He moved heaven and earth to do this. All I had to do was step through that door for myself.... do what is right for you. It takes much exposure and motivation... and you're there! voila...

The one-size-fits-all philosophy is very flawed, in my opinion... everyone has a different need and take on things.

Besides, I have seen hearing people misspell so much because of this phonic thing... haha!! They write what they "hear."

Basically, it all boils down to this... I saw that other folks feel it is up to the parents to enforce such quality education on their child/ren.. not the state, not the govt, or a group..

Originally posted by Freaky
Not a problem Fly Free!! ;) I'm very open-minded about education, especially with mainstreaming and Deaf education. I have had both experiences and I elected to go with mainstreaming. Mainstreaming offered more for me and my Deaf family made sure I was still connected with the Deaf world. I still believe each child has different learning abilites. I will not enforce a child to go to the mainstreaming setting, if that child is not able to learn in a mainstreamed setting then I would accomodate his/her needs. Deaf education would suit his/her needs much better. Deaf children grasp better english comprehension with visuals. It is my firm belief to teach them english comprehension at a young age when they have innate abilites to learn and before the "window of learning" closes. My heart always goes out when I see a Deaf child being isolated in a hearing classroom and not given the adequate education he/she has the opportunity to learn. This is the reason why I am going back to college to get my Early Childhood Education degree, I want to teach Deaf children. Thanks, Fly Free, for starting this thread!! ;)

anytime Freaky! hehe :D

Originally posted by Liza

Besides, I have seen hearing people misspell so much because of this phonic thing... haha!! They write what they "hear."

Basically, it all boils down to this... I saw that other folks feel it is up to the parents to enforce such quality education on their child/ren.. not the state, not the govt, or a group..

*nodding* in agreement! but here :ugh: the states does the policy and all that -- i think its the parents that should be able to choose the best education there is for the kids regardless of the mandatory education that the county or state has set up aside from the mandatory hours of schooling which is 1080 hrs (if i remmy right) -- and that would include the choice of enrolling the kids into the phonics program or not -- i remmy i once asked my sister why not she take her son (my nephew) out of the phonics program when i saw how badly his spelling was and it being based on what he hears and she said she cant cuz its the county's policy :wtf: and i told my sister its purely :bsflag: she seemed to agree but said she has NO say :crazy: of the county to do that :(

yeah it will be good idea for little kids that need to improve their speeching and reading :)

IMO, this system would only be good for speech class in a deaf educational setting. There is also other ways to learn the proper English structure, such as the much-disliked SEE approach. Hearing education-wise, my godchildren are learning this way, and I have noticed that they do make some mistakes in spelling. They do have spelling classes at the school too, and the teachers force them to practise their spelling and writing sentences. It really helps them to spell better.

This brings up another thing to my mind... in high schools, some teachers do not correct their students' mistakes because they feel that criticising their students would hinder their creativity process. I read a book when I was working at Borders, called "The Dumbing Down of Our Students" or something like that and it was very interesting to read. Maybe you should read it too.

258~ I'm profound deaf and most hearing people who interact with me said that I speak so well, even thought I don't wear hearing aids or anything like that. I have never used that program before so I don't know which answer to vote for. :P I guess I was taught on English basis when I was growing up, then learned ASL during High School. :dunno: Do I make any sense here?

Originally posted by ChelEler
258~ I'm profound deaf and most hearing people who interact with me said that I speak so well, even thought I don't wear hearing aids or anything like that. I have never used that program before so I don't know which answer to vote for. :P I guess I was taught on English basis when I was growing up, then learned ASL during High School. :dunno: Do I make any sense here?

same here ChelEler -- i know Deaf children are taught reading with READING/SPELLING as an emphasis so theyre more understanding of the English language and syntax/structures as well as for spelling -- ive seen the hearing kids being immersed in the phonics program and see it fail miserably and i just simply dont understand WHY the county wont drop the program and put more emphasis on reading and spelling practices :dunno:

kuifje75 has also brought up the speech classes for the deaf children which IMO has varied results so i :dunno: the true statistics to the success rate of deaf kids with TRUE good speech skills -- ive heard of how some ppl just flatly REFUSES to talk again all cuz of their speech teachers always telling them how well they say words and all that then they go in the general public and when trying to communicate with other hearies they just simply DONT understand what theyre trying to say so they tell me the best way is just have pen and paper ready on hand or use gestures -- ahh this would become 2 different issues on this thread LOL:dunno:

i got to thinking about this phonics and i agree with fly free, reason??? i was emphasised on reading and writing in my mainstreamed classes, and used the dicitionary many times over, i learned that the best education is reading as opposed to math, cuz how are we to learn math when everything we do is based on reading? and how do we communicate? all by reading or writing and talking to people, how do we know for a fact that we're learning the education. Everything is right there in the reading world. weather we make sense or not, we make an effort to communicate and learn things thru reading and writing. I'm not the greatest math comphrension, but i'm pretty good in reading and writing,I love to write and love to read those two are my favorite subjects and love to learn about life in itself! History has shown we learn things through reading the books, writing our essays and book reports. Shows we have a long way to go before we finally get rid of phonics. my cousin is a LD ( learning disablity) and he was forced to use phonics and it only made things even worse! he managed to graduate with a D in english lits and it's sad that teachers won't give the time to help students read things properly and understand the spelling and the english versions of grammars.

:(

Originally posted by javapride
my cousin is a LD ( learning disablity) and he was forced to use phonics and it only made things even worse!

:werd: its been known to happen as well especially with those diagnosed with dyslexia would make it much more difficult for the kids who are dyslexic and already battling wits with language -- would be interesting to see if there are any documented statistics regarding those who are dyslexic and their success rates using phonics -- anyone out there might know qq cuz i sure :dunno:

its been known to happen as well especially with those diagnosed with dyslexia would make it much more difficult for the kids who are dyslexic and already battling wits with language -- would be interesting to see if there are any documented statistics regarding those who are dyslexic and their success rates using phonics -- anyone out there might know qq cuz i sure

Good question FLY i would love to know that myself, my auntie would be SOO pleased if there was some statisic information to share, and to see if the LD would impact the rest of the family as well????

cuz i think its :bsflag: to see poeple losing thier education and not get a better start in life when we have to struggle how to read.

Fly Free... don't you mean "I am going to {the} store"?

Who hell cares? :mad2: You know what, my English teacher (at college) told me that lot of deaf people have trouble with A and THE and explained to me why. Its because DEAF people dont hear sentences EVERYDAY from thier EAR like hearing people do. Also told me that EVERYONE always have ERROR grammar -- NO ONE IS PERFECT.

Anyway, I dont know about PHONICS PROGRAM. I agree with Fly Free & Javapride.

:o

Back