Job and Calling on TTY

ClearSky

New Member
I am having a sinking feeling of some hopelessness. I have never had to ask to ask for an interview on TTY. TTY sucks when calling about jobs! I am sick of stupid uneducated people. I called to ask about this job because I got a call, and I went in person instead. I am trying to call, so the customer service idiot told me she won't be in this week! WTF? I asked her if there was anyone else in charge of hiring. She said, NO NO NO NO NO, they will have to call in next week and hung up on me.

I hate relay calls, and I am asking here how do you guys deal with looking for a job and how do you handle it, if different from mine? Sometimes I try to follow up when they don't call. What do you do?

Sometimes people do not suspect that I am deaf, so they have no idea why I show up there really. I just tell them I got a call, but they just tell you they will call when they never do. I show up really to avoid TTY and being discriminated. :mad:
 
G

Gemtun

Guest
What kind of job are you seeking?

Perhaps apply online - many human resources departments accepts applications online. That is what I would do in order to avoid calling them and give out my email address instead of telephone number. Many people are doing this via emails.
 

ClearSky

New Member
Well, this is a grocery store. Some stores do not ask for e-mails. The lady called me, and I tried to go there instead, but she says she would call me. She never did. Now she's off this week. I can't stand putting my life on hold to look for a job because of other people's vacations. You know what's stupid? I called on Friday, and the stupid customer service person didn't know when they F the lady was going to be on Saturday. She just said, half a day.
 
G

Gemtun

Guest
ClearSky said:
Well, this is a grocery store. Some stores do not ask for e-mails. The lady called me, and I tried to go there instead, but she says she would call me. She never did. Now she's off this week. I can't stand putting my life on hold to look for a job because of other people's vacations. You know what's stupid? I called on Friday, and the stupid customer service person didn't know when they F the lady was going to be on Saturday. She just said, half a day.

Ahh it is hard to apply online if it is for a store. Have you gotten in touch with Employment Department and ask them to help you out?
 

ClearSky

New Member
You mean VR? Or do you mean like a government Employment Agencies? What exactly is it? What do they help you do? Do they make calls for you? I'd love to have some type of help sometimes if TTY is an issue for me. Please provide me with a little detail on how to get ahold of some type of help.

I did have help from an agency of disability, but what I didn't like about them is that they would suggest to go with you when all I need help is with TTY calls. I don't want them to come with me to fill out applications or interviews. TTY is creating a barrier.
 
G

Gemtun

Guest
ClearSky said:
You mean VR? Or do you mean like a government Employment Agencies? What exactly is it? What do they help you do? Do they make calls for you? I'd love to have some type of help sometimes if TTY is an issue for me. Please provide me with a little detail on how to get ahold of some type of help.

I did have help from an agency of disability, but what I didn't like about them is that they would suggest to go with you when all I need help is with TTY calls. I don't want them to come with me to fill out applications or interviews. TTY is creating a barrier.

No I do not mean VR but VR is another good option if you are lucky to be a client of VR already - if not, it takes a long time to get into VR.

I dont know where you are from - but I am assuming you are from USA - each state has their own Employment Department and can help out with job searches, etc. Simply explain your situation to the employment specialist and he/she could figure things out for you.
 

Cheri

Prayers for my dad.
Premium Member
ClearSky said:
I hate relay calls, and I am asking here how do you guys deal with looking for a job and how do you handle it, if different from mine? Sometimes I try to follow up when they don't call. What do you do?:


I don't wait for a call back, nor call them back for a following up, I go there in person and ask. :)
 

ClearSky

New Member
Cheri said:
I don't wait for a call back, nor call them back for a following up, I go there in person and ask. :)

Okay, thanks. I think this is better than ever using the TTY until they hire you and know you.

I guess I will have to look in the Government section for Employment Department?
 
G

Gemtun

Guest
ClearSky said:
Okay, thanks. I think this is better than ever using the TTY until they hire you and know you.

I guess I will have to look in the Government section for Employment Department?

Yes that is correct. Good luck!
 

ClearSky

New Member
Wait, what if I go back there because they called me? Sometimes they call back. What if I go there and they don't want to see me until I schedule an appointment with them? What do I tell them, so I do not let them call me? How have you handled this?
 
G

Gemtun

Guest
ClearSky said:
Wait, what if I go back there because they called me? Sometimes they call back. What if I go there and they don't want to see me until I schedule an appointment with them? What do I tell them, so I do not let them call me? How have you handled this?

Do you have good speech? If so, you can apply for Captel - you can read words on the phone and talk for yourself. Or use Voice-Over on Relay.

I know that in another thread that you refuse to be dependent on interpreters but frankly you will be amazed to see how many opportunities you will have if you open up to using all types of devices available to make your life easier.
 

ClearSky

New Member
LOL. I had them a long time ago. I like to depend on myself. It's my personal experience that leads me to be that way. I am okay with it.

I have heard of Cap-Tel, and I am able to converse with people. Some people are ignorant once they know me they act more confused with me for some stupid psychological reasons like co-workers. I have to ignore them. I am just real nervous about using Cap-Tel, and I have thought about it, too. I won't throw out the option of Cap-Tel. I am nervous because I don't have experience talking on the telephone except very few times that I am afraid of sounding awkward. I only have experience writing down on TTY which is easy you know?

For now, I will go in person. I am wondering what to do when they call and say, "have you set up an interview?" blah blah. I never seem to know how to respond to that without having to explain my hearing loss if I can avoid it. I don't want them to see my hearing loss but me only.
 

R2D2

New Member
Cheri said:
I don't wait for a call back, nor call them back for a following up, I go there in person and ask. :)

I think this is the best way to go. It's much harder to hang up on a person in person :) And they can meet you and see that you are capable of doing the job. the problem is that mention you are deaf on the TTY etc lots of hearing people have very inaccurate and stereotypical images pop up in their minds.
 

sillycat

New Member
I have done of calling for jobs over the years and have had been hung up. You can ask the relay person not to announce that you re deaf--if relay person says have to, then hang up and call up another relay person.

If you have hearing friends or family members, you can ask them to help make the calls for you or take messages from the employers. Ive done this and it was more successful. You can ask the hearing friend/family for their permission to use their phone numbers on job applications so they can take messages for you.

If you have VPS (videophone) then do same thing, ask the relay person not to announce that you are deaf, etc. VPS is much faster and more accurate communication than tty (I know many deafies not have great english skills).

Good luch :)
 

Foxrac

Well-Known Member
Premium Member
It got hard to get with communication but I used applied about 5 jobs then none of them are call me, also I feel just like WTF because ADA is nothing to help us.
 

Y

New Member
Gemtun said:
What kind of job are you seeking?

Perhaps apply online - many human resources departments accepts applications online. That is what I would do in order to avoid calling them and give out my email address instead of telephone number. Many people are doing this via emails.


:roll:
 

ClearSky

New Member
volcomskatz said:
It got hard to get with communication but I used applied about 5 jobs then none of them are call me, also I feel just like WTF because ADA is nothing to help us.

I know, you would think that employers should know about the ADA, but it's not. It's only there to protect us if we tell them about it should they discriminate. I wish interviewers learned more about the ADA through classes. Not just mention that there is an ADA law, but deeper details. It's important. If people don't want people with disability depending on their taxes for SSI, then they better give us a chance to work.
 

sablescort

New Member
Last afternoon I had an potential employer call me via the relay and I missed the call (fortunately IP-relay left a message on my relay mailbox). When I returned the call, I had the receptionist quite a bit confused about the relay forcing me to annonuce that I had gotten a message to call the company and bingo I got through.

Lucky me I managed to score an interview with the company on Wed. and oh...I didnt apply for the job in person cuz I did it online.
 

diehardbiker

Active Member
Why not apply for free VP, get broadband and disconnect landline phone? If you got sidekick or any handheld, then why not use their voicemail, they come in as package. You could use them to fool many hearing people. It worked for me I get better response with VP, voicemails than TTY! Most hearies HATE TTY relay service, and find themselve along better with VRS!
 
Top