Is it time to drive 55 again?

Remember one thing... if you go 90-95, for long periods of time, You are liable to blow the engine.... especially small engines, in small cars and trucks.... I 've seen 2 times, where 2 drivers blew their engines, going over 100 mph, on 2 different occasions... Just all the same, as a NASCAR driver blows his engine... like Jimmie Johnson, did during the closing laps of the Coca-Cola 600 on Sunday!
My poor little Jeep speedometer goes only to 85 mph! :giggle:

It matters more over longer distances.

1 mile at 55 will take about 1 minute (and 5.4 seconds)
1 mile at 75 will take 48 seconds

25 miles at 55 will require at least 27 minutes and 30 seconds
25 miles at 75 takes at least 20 minutes

75 miles at 55 miles an hour will require 82 minutes, 22 minutes longer than if you traveled at 75 mph.
We noticed the time saved mostly when we drove to visit family in other states. On trips over 1,000 miles one way, it made a big difference in drive time.

Don't push it... It is designed for your safety... Thank Jeep for that....:giggle:
No, I don't push it. I usually drive about 70 mph on the way to assignments (sometimes I push it a little more for emergency hospital assignments).

No, I don't push it. I usually drive about 70 mph on the way to assignments (sometimes I push it a little more for emergency hospital assignments).

Good.. Remember the old saying... Safety before anything else!:giggle:

At 13 mpg, I do remember the experience of having a Jeep. :lol:

:lol: been there

Thank god I got rid of 13 mpg Cherokee 10 years ago and before the gas spiked so high. Btw it's a '81 Cherokee with 6 cylinder engine. Spend more money on that Jeep with problematic - tranny slipping, water pumps, carburetors all that crap. Today's Jeeps are better now though even my friends have mid 90's Cherokee and they perform better than what I used to drive.

Yes, Jeep is definetly a gas hog, my Cherokee isn't that bad, it is 98, running strong and been trouble free even after 4 accidents and was stolen and abused. Gets about 21MPG on highway, and about 17mpg in city. My other Jeep which is Wrangler... even with same engine (robust, and powerful 4.0L engine) uses more gas, 13MPG-20MPG.

Tell you this, I have test with various speed. Guess what speed achieves highest MPG?

Its 47MPH! As soon as I get over 47MPH the gas mileage decreases!

After driving faster than 65mph, the mileage on gas decreases much faster.

Know why? Nothing to do with how many speed you got on the tranny... What we call is wind resistance, Going faster than 45MPH increases wind resistance exponently, which causes engine to work harder resulting using more gas.

I also tested on my motorcycle, and it proved too! When I ride it over 65MPH I usually get 32-35MPG, when I ride it around 55MPH I get aroound 40MPG. Finally when I ride it nicely and slow (40-45MPH), I hit 50MPG!

I don't think government should enforce the 55MPH, what I think government should do is enforce 55MPH only on right lane, and higher speed on left lane on multiple lanes highways.

I got no plans to trade both of my gas guzzler Jeeps anytime soon. Maybe in future yes. I don't want to deal with two car payments!

I live right outside of the city and i don't have to complain abt driving 55 mph cuz where i live is only up to 30 mph speed limit... Ofc many drivers around here goes 40 to 45 mph unless see cops.

My cute Chevy Aveo small 4 door sedan is able to go over 100 mph but i usually go 85 mph oh hwys otherwise i follow the limit if there isn't much cars around

We noticed the time saved mostly when we drove to visit family in other states. On trips over 1,000 miles one way, it made a big difference in drive time.

Yup, it sure does. :)
But, there is a dichotomy of sorts here. The less distance you have to travel, the less speed matters... so we must look at the median of average need vs. safety, and gas mileage.

75 might actually be a good number, but we would have to look at statistics such as automobile accidents due to speeding, and fuel cost, vs the benefits gained on average from travelling at 75 mph... and compare the findings to what happens at 55 mph.

Yup, it sure does. :)
But, there is a dichotomy of sorts here. The less distance you have to travel, the less speed matters... so we must look at the median of average need vs. safety, and gas mileage.

75 might actually be a good number, but we would have to look at statistics such as automobile accidents due to speeding, and fuel cost, vs the benefits gained on average from travelling at 75 mph... and compare the findings to what happens at 55 mph.

Someone must soon start clubs for math and debate here.

Back on topic. I support lower speeds. My father died in car wreck. He was wearing a seatbelt, but with speed the front of car was pushed back and his lungs were punctured. Slower speed does save lives.

yea but still almost every american people are complain about slower speed limited.. due to time.. it tooks longer..

I know you are right, but I just feel that way. I don't want anyone else in my family to die that way.

:lol: been there

Thank god I got rid of 13 mpg Cherokee 10 years ago and before the gas spiked so high. Btw it's a '81 Cherokee with 6 cylinder engine. Spend more money on that Jeep with problematic - tranny slipping, water pumps, carburetors all that crap. Today's Jeeps are better now though even my friends have mid 90's Cherokee and they perform better than what I used to drive.
Mine is a 1995 Cherokee, and I get about 20 mpg with my lead foot.

My main problems are flat tires and dinged windshield. Our roads are strewn with debris.

Mine is a 1995 Cherokee, and I get about 20 mpg with my lead foot.

My main problems are flat tires and dinged windshield. Our roads are strewn with debris.

get run-flat tires

At $4 per gallon, you would have a operating expense of around 20 cents per mile with a 20 mpg Jeep.

Back