Is it ever acceptable to wear someone else's jacket without permission?

Cheri

Prayers for my dad.
Premium Member
Reaction score
Supposedly you brought a NFL, Nascar, MLB, NBA jacket, an expensive jacket and you haven't wore it yet, but someone else is wearing your jacket without your knowledge.

Would you think it is extremely rude, disrespectful and morally wrong?

Its not acceptable to wear anything that belongs to someone else without asking first. Its rude :)

For me, it is just a jacket.

Money is very tight for us to the point, we cannot afford to be buying such expensive and frivolous clothes.

Like I said, it is just a jacket and I wouldn't be making a big deal over a jacket.

Depends how well you know the person. Also if they really really needed a jacket then that's fine.
If it is a random stranger then that's totally wrong

No. I wouldn't mind if someone borrowed my jacket without asking, but I also wouldn't assume that standard for other people. Some people are very particular about their belongings so it's important to respect that.

yes it is rude and disrespectful and wrong to take somebody elses stuff without asking unless there is an agreement that it's ok to borrow stuff. Otherwise in my opinion it is wrong.

Thank you for your responses.

I'm with rockdrummer and Pespi, I believe it is morally wrong, it's stealing, because stealing is when someone take things that belongs to someone else without their permission, borrowing is when you already have their permission to do so.

I don't see it as morally wrong.

HOWEVER...

Most of my jackets are expensive since I am a picky tactile person, so I spend good money on clothes that feel good on me. So I don't appreciate it when people wear my jackets without asking. If it's a ratty old jacket, I don't care-- but if it's my expensive ones, I do care.

It depends on WHO.

If it is my wife, then GO AHEAD! (she supports Jacksonville Jaguars, I support Pittsburgh Steelers)

If it is my son, then GO AHEAD! (too big for him anyway)

Anybody else, I would approach that person and politely explain that it is rude to do that, and to demand that jacket back.

It depends on WHO.

If it is my wife, then GO AHEAD! (she supports Jacksonville Jaguars, I support Pittsburgh Steelers)

If it is my son, then GO AHEAD! (too big for him anyway)

Anybody else, I would approach that person and politely explain that it is rude to do that, and to demand that jacket back.

I got a question for you. :)

What if your wife is in the hospital and her sister in law took her Jacksonville Jaguars jacket that your wife haven't wore yet, would you consider that rude and disrespectful?

Well I didn't mind my little sister borrowing my clothes from my closet when I was 16 or 17.. I used to tease my little sister when she had a certain guilty look by calling it the closet look cuz it meant she was borrowing my clothes. I'd mind people outside my family borrowing my stuff though.

If a family member took my new jacket, I wouldn't mind. I share everything with them anyway. I don't think it's wrong. They would allow me to borrow their new jacket without asking. Sometimes I'm not around to ask and they know that I'll say yes anyway.

I'm seeing a lot of misunderstanding in here. Let me remind you - Cheri's father is still in hospital which means he's no longer in charge of his company. The family members including in-law have been taking care of it since then. He's obviously not dead and he's still fighting to regain the control on most of the his body and brain due to bad stroke.

Now - the son-in-law rudely took out his PRIZED collection from his office and wore the jacket like he owns it - a Nascar jacket in a MINT condition under plastic cover and Cheri's father has never wore that jacket. The son-in-law's wearing it like the father's dead already thus disrespecting him and it's so wrong in so many ways.

It doesn't matter if it's just a jacket, pen, car, or whatever but it's the sign of respect. Don't you think it's disrespectful to go around touching somebody's prized collection without his/her permission and acting like you own it?

I'm seeing a lot of misunderstanding in here. Let me remind you - Cheri's father is still in hospital which means he's no longer in charge of his company. The family members including in-law have been taking care of it since then. He's obviously not dead and he's still fighting to regain the control on most of the his body and brain due to bad stroke.

Now - the son-in-law rudely took out his PRIZED collection from his office and wore the jacket like he owns it - a Nascar jacket in a MINT condition under plastic cover and he has never wore that jacket. The son-in-law's wearing it like the father's dead already thus disrespecting him and it's so wrong in so many ways.

It doesn't matter if it's just a jacket, pen, car, or whatever but it's the sign of respect. Don't you think it's disrespectful to go around touching somebody's prized collection without his/her permission?

I had no idea about all this, it is not posted in this thread. If this is what the thread is about then I do change my mind and think it's wrong and very rude!! I was only thinking like if a friend or a family member takes something expensive you bought but under those circumstances no way. It IS wrong

Now - the son-in-law rudely took out his PRIZED collection from his office and wore the jacket like he owns it - a Nascar jacket in a MINT condition under plastic cover and Cheri's father has never wore that jacket. The son-in-law's wearing it like the father's dead already thus disrespecting him and it's so wrong in so many ways.

It doesn't matter if it's just a jacket, pen, car, or whatever but it's the sign of respect. Don't you think it's disrespectful to go around touching somebody's prized collection without his/her permission and acting like you own it?

She was referring to another thread?

Geez, didn't know that she was referring to a collectible.

That's straight-up rude and idsrespectful.

Let's go and throw down.

Back