Is It Bad To Force A Child.....?

Angel

♥"Concrete Angel"♥
Premium Member
Reaction score
Is it bad to force a child into sports or modeling?

A couple of weeks ago, I watched a ' talk show ' about forcing your child into sports or modeling, and I had listen to each parents telling us that they know their children love doing it and it was good for them, but I also notice that the children did not want to be in that type of sport or modeling when they couldn't be able to have any ' free ' time and seeing their parents yelling at them to ' win ' or getting angry at them for losing a game or made a mistake on how they played it....

I would like to hear your opinion on this issue, please do share them....

yea it bad force child for in sport or model... so i rather let my child what she or he wanna be in sport or not.. i cant force them.. if force them, make child unhappy or not comfortable.. nah not worth.. so let them decide what they wanna be in sport or model...

I agree its bad to force them to do something they dont want to do, the trouble is some parents try to make their own lives better by making their kids do stuff.

if the child really wants to do it, then thats fine but not force them.

and make sure their lives are balanced, that they do other things as well.

I do not believe in forcing a child into any sort of extracurricular activity that he or she wouldn't be interested in participating in. If my kid wanted to do it, then that's one thing. If he or she does not, then we, as parents, should simply say, "Okay. What WOULD you like to do?"

After all, if we use force, then it only builds up resentment within the child, and they will learn to associate the activity in question with anger or they will simply refer to it as just another chore.

I do suggest encouraging a child though - whether it is to take part in a sport or a club, it should be the child's choice as to which one they want to be a part of.

I think it's a bad idea to force children into these things. I saw a show on television during the summer about toddler beauty pageants. They had these little kids all dressed up in $5,000 dresses, $500 make-up, and $200 hair-dos. :eek: Boy, when I was watching the faces of these kids... it seemed like they wanted to cry!

Yea, I think I know what show you're talking about, Vampyrox.

Forcing a child into modeling, now that's dumb. Children are not toys, they're not Barbies, these parents need a reality check.

i would love to have my son to play football or any of sports.. but it's best way to have them to stay out of the trouble .. it's up to kid's decidson...

I had a friend who been bugged by his parent that he required to join football or his father will not buy him a truck.. so he have to do for his father's sake.. it's really terriable..

I sure agree that it isn't such a good thing to 'force' our children into doing something that they may not like being involved in such as sports and other activities offerred by the schools or even outside groups, clubs such as 'boy scouts, girl scouts, etc...' Yet, there are some parents that tend to go overboard especially with children who are much younger...I guess it may be safe to assume most of these younger children will then grow up 'hating' it for whatever they were forced in...but then again, look at the highly success of Tiger Woods, a well known and successful professional golfer, his own father started on him when he was either 2 or 3 years old....but generally, it would not be the best course of action for parents to 'force' their children into something that the parents may feel might be well suited for the child(ren). Another thing, encouraging a child to participate in some sport or school activity/event can have a positive impact that allow the child to truly enjoy it...like with my own two daughters, I have encouraged them to get involved in some sport or activity...and always telling them, once they try it and if they don't like it, they can always get out of it and try something else that they would like to get involved in.... :cool:

^Angel^ said:
...and seeing their parents yelling at them to ' win ' or getting angry at them for losing a game or made a mistake on how they played it....

It's always saddens me when seeing other parents yelling at their child(ren) whatever it may be that a child is in...such as for an example, seeing fathers at a little league baseball game criticizing or yelling at their boy(s) over anything whether it's a mistake they made or embarrassing the father, etc.,....such stupidity and lack of telling encouraging remarks on the father's part...it's the 'child' that's involve and out to have fun...I do recalled once when my own daughter was playing tennis and had some difficulty at the time of the match, I simply confided in her by telling her that at least she is trying and by practicing more will allow her to get better and improve...the only words that left my mouth were encouraging ones and showing the kind of feelings she was having by reaching 'into' her heart and showing that what she had done isn't the 'end' of it...but a beginning...each thing being learned takes time to get through...just like as it is with a baby taking first steps, take a few steps and falls down, but once pulling back up and take more steps is the same concept as it is with our children involved in any sport or activity....

I think it is Plain Wrong! :nono:

I think Parents should avoid forcing their child to participate in a sport, and remember that your child is playing for his/her enjoyment, not yours. and Never get angry at your child for making a mistake or losing a competition.... When a child is playing a sport that he or she doesn’t like or didn’t choose, it creates undue pressure.. and it would be the Parent's fault.

Alex said:
Yea, I think I know what show you're talking about, Vampyrox.

Forcing a child into modeling, now that's dumb. Children are not toys, they're not Barbies, these parents need a reality check.

Yeah, agreed...that makes me think of the Jonbenet Ramsey case -- although the parents insisted that Jonbenet enjoyed entering child pagents...it still was appalling seeing kids as young as 5 being enrolled in beauty child pagents and being made up like adults, etc. Saddening.
For those who are not aware of who Jonbenet Ramsey is -- she was murdered in her own home when she was only 6 years old and her parents are in the middle of the storm -- suspects in the murder, but they claim they're innocent. I don't think so...the case's still open and ongoing. :(

As for forcing children into taking places in sports or events they're not interested in participating, I believe not to force them. Let them decide on what they like to do and join when they're ready to do so.

Malfoyish said:
I do not believe in forcing a child into any sort of extracurricular activity that he or she wouldn't be interested in participating in. If my kid wanted to do it, then that's one thing. If he or she does not, then we, as parents, should simply say, "Okay. What WOULD you like to do?"

After all, if we use force, then it only builds up resentment within the child, and they will learn to associate the activity in question with anger or they will simply refer to it as just another chore.

I do suggest encouraging a child though - whether it is to take part in a sport or a club, it should be the child's choice as to which one they want to be a part of.

You say this so prefectly!!! I´m same as you, too. I don´t beleive to make my children something what I want because it´s THEM who want. Some parents are not accept that their children doesn´t feel ready to face something new because they think they do their "best" for their children. I´m disagree with some parents saying that it´s their decision, not children. I beleive to let my children do something when they feel ready.

My son come to us telling us that he feel ready to go Economical school next year few weeks ago. We support him for that because it´s his wish.

My boys join football club because they want.

We shouldn't force our child(ren) to play sports or doing drama or being in some kind of musicial thing.. let them come to us and tell them what they want to do and the best we can do is see them be happy with whatever they do and support them all the way.

As for toddler beauty pagents.. I think it's freaking stupid!!! :mad: Those girls should be playing with dolls and other toys and be in playground instead of being stuck in the pagent. Those parents obviously wants the money and to be better than others!!! They need a reality check also! Those girls seems like they want to cry and want to go home but nooo the parents have to bribe them to get what they want!!! I wouldn't want my future daughter to be in the toddler pagent because I want her to be a kid for a while. I would let her to be in teen pagents if she wanted to of course when she' sold enough or that she could be in adult pagents when she's over 18 years old if she wants to. Just let our girls enjoy their lives first then be modeling in teen or adult years when they r old enough to know what they want. We can't force them to be in teen pagent either .. if they want to.. they will tell us period. Geez..I feel sorry for those little girls in the pagents.. I feel like I want to save them!!! :(

Exactly that what I thought so.

Example about CI........

Look what the parents did to their babies is kind of "forcing" to change their bodies because they want to make their babies "hear".

That´s what I mean the same about model, usw... Let child to choose whatever they like to have CI or not.... Up to them, not us...

I only say the example. :)

Yeah, I read and saw on Family time channel..

thats why, I wait till kids go in middle school which they have sports to play, pratices, games and etc... whats more cost less too..

If they really want to join something at early age.. let them get experienced... they should have refunds if kids tried few practices.. and dont like..

Forcing them into modeling or sports or etc.. they will become rebillion or lazy in their teens.. its really various on kids..
thats why alot less kids involve with sports.. and alot are overweights.

hm i wouldnt force my kid in future but i would try to get her or him involved in activities... (encouraging) if my kid refused then i probably would try to put kid in education programs... reason... i do not want my kid to grow up being lonely and afraid of people thats the main reason why they have those activities so they would be able to social as well as to learn how to have teamwork, and all that. but if my kid want to be in sports.. GREAT! ill strongly encourage them to be ... i do not want them to sit home all day sitting in front of a tv or computer. i want them to go out and play, go play sports, or do something useful for their minds. so for models... thats definitely OUT! i dont see anything useful from it.. except maybe money? blah not important to me... i perfer my kid to be in some type of sports, clubs, or education programs and i hope my kid will like it too as well.

Back