Interested Hearing person...please help me

nthompson

Reaction score
I am a senior at Christopher Newport Universtiy in Newport News, Virginia. I am hearing, however very interested in the Deaf culture. I began signing my junior year in highschool, and fell in love with it. Since then I have gone on to do several projects in relation to the Deaf culture, and am half way through my sign language interpreting degree. Currently I am working on my senior thesis. I am interested in interviewing either hearing parents of deaf children or deaf children with hearing parents about your past and current interations in the family. If anyone would be interested in helping me out I would appreciate it. I would be willing to do interviews via e-mail, or if you are in the area, I would love to meet with you!! I do know some sign language however I am not fluent; YET . Please feel free to write me at your convience!
Thank you,
Nicole Thompson

PS In live in the hampton roads area of VA

I'm a deaf person from a hearing family. My two sisters and one brother are hearing. My parents are also hearing. I was born hearing but became deaf due to a common childhood illness. I don't sign when I'm around my family since I can speak for myself. When I'm around other hearing people, I talk for myself too. I usually sign when I'm around deaf people.

i'm deaf... my parents are hearing.. my brother is hearing.. my sister is hearing.. my other sister have a small amount of hearing loss...

me and my sister both got menigits... but i lost almost all of my hearing loss.. and my sister only loss around 5%...

i speak with my parents with voice.. my parents sign ASL to me.. I sign/speak to my bro.. we're only one who's close.. my two other sisters do sign.. but they mostly speak to me..

when i'm around hearing people.. i speak with my voice... sometimes i write notes.. since if hearies don't know me that well they have hard time understand me.. so if a person knows me well we understand eachother well :D

im Deaf, parents and older sister hearie -- i was born deaf due to rubella -- i speak with family members with both voice and signs, my mom and sister signs, my dad only used homesigns and he was more oral -- i speak when around with family members and in the general public -- there are occasions when i just simply would NOT use my speech and instead write what i want to say

hope that helps nthompson :)

Thank you for replaying. If I may ask how did your parents deal with your deafness, were they upset, frustrated, excited?? If you feel this is too personal to reveal I understand. Thank you for your help thus far!
~*nthompson

Parents are hearing, my sister and I are both deaf. It was not caused by illnesses, or an unhealthy pregnancy. According to doctors it was a deaf gene.
When my parents found out I had a severe to profound hearing loss, they were devastated. My mother cried for weeks, unsure of what to do. After they got over the initial shock, I was immediately fitted for hearing aids, put in speech therapy, and taught sign language.
Now... I just talk. I do not use sign language to communicate.
My husband and two daughters are hearing.

Questions?, feel free to contact me.

drained hearing parent of a deaf infant

My son is 11 mo old and is about to receive a cochlear implant. We found out during his newborn hearing screening when he was in the NICU (6 wks early) that he may have some hearing loss. A few weeks later his ABR confirmed that he was profoundly deaf. That same day we were given a little book on communication options and within a week or two chose oral communication as something that would be best for the family as a whole (grandparents, etc). We are lucky to live 20 miles (across the state line) from a Oral School for the Deaf so that our son would have the best education possible in the communication style that we chose.

There is a large rift in the Deaf community in our state concerning communication options. Everyone we came in contact with in our state tried to influence us to change our minds concerning the option we had chosen. I would say that this was the most devasting part of finding out that our son was Deaf.

When we were told that he was prof deaf I think I only shed a tear or two as the audiologist told us the news (we were already sure something was wrong). But the audio. was so supportive and told us positive stories of deaf adults with all types of communication that we immediatly sprang into action and began researching what would be best for the family. My husband and I just look at our son as being our son no matter how God chose to give him to us. Hearing or not he was still our baby. As he has grown, I see more similarities between him and other hearing babies than I have seen differences. His smiles are just a large and laughs just as loud.

A few weeks later when the state got involved it was like because they did not provide the communication we wanted that we should change our minds about the communication option we chose. "Professionals" in the area of early intervention and education told us horror stories of Oral Education Teachers forcing Deaf children to sit on their hands and refusing to communicate with them unless they spoke. My husband and I were immediatly turned off by all the social service/educators in our state. We had to fight tooth and nail to get our son the services that we chose of our own free will. Basically it came down to the state wanting to keep "their" federal dollars in "their" state. I think they fail to recognize that the are "my" federal dollars and that this is my "state" not "theirs". This has been the only negative thing about our son being Deaf. I really feel that the state would have taken advantage of us if we had not first educated ourselves concerning our rights.

Then after all of this, I have to listen to members of our Deaf community tell me that I am mutilating my child's head by having the CI surgery done. Or that I am "taking his choice away" and that he will hate me when he is older. I have this in response: I am giving my child all the opportunities to make a choice for himself later. By getting the surgery and oral education at an early age I am ensuring that he will be not be restricted to any one community. When he is of age, he will have all the skills needed to function in the hearing world or the signing world. Do not cry for my child if you see "wires" coming out of his head. I am giving him the ability to defend himself in all circles. He will be afforded the best educational opportunities in both oral communication and sign if he chooses. I feel that by age 7 he will be able to tell us if he wishes to sign and if so I will not feel betrayed by his decision. I will not do to him what others have done to us. I hope that one day the deaf community will not be divided in our state and that more support will be afforded to hearing parents of Deaf children by the Deaf community.

I guess that I sound spiteful but I hope not. I have just had a crash course in child advocacy in the worst possible way. I don't know if I speak for all hearing parents of Deaf children, but I get tired of defending my choices 24/7 and tired of being called a bad parent. So tear into me if you want.

heather said:
My son is 11 mo old and is about to receive a cochlear implant. We found out during his newborn hearing screening when he was in the NICU (6 wks early) that he may have some hearing loss. A few weeks later his ABR confirmed that he was profoundly deaf. That same day we were given a little book on communication options and within a week or two chose oral communication as something that would be best for the family as a whole (grandparents, etc). We are lucky to live 20 miles (across the state line) from a Oral School for the Deaf so that our son would have the best education possible in the communication style that we chose.

There is a large rift in the Deaf community in our state concerning communication options. Everyone we came in contact with in our state tried to influence us to change our minds concerning the option we had chosen. I would say that this was the most devasting part of finding out that our son was Deaf.

When we were told that he was prof deaf I think I only shed a tear or two as the audiologist told us the news (we were already sure something was wrong). But the audio. was so supportive and told us positive stories of deaf adults with all types of communication that we immediatly sprang into action and began researching what would be best for the family. My husband and I just look at our son as being our son no matter how God chose to give him to us. Hearing or not he was still our baby. As he has grown, I see more similarities between him and other hearing babies than I have seen differences. His smiles are just a large and laughs just as loud.

A few weeks later when the state got involved it was like because they did not provide the communication we wanted that we should change our minds about the communication option we chose. "Professionals" in the area of early intervention and education told us horror stories of Oral Education Teachers forcing Deaf children to sit on their hands and refusing to communicate with them unless they spoke. My husband and I were immediatly turned off by all the social service/educators in our state. We had to fight tooth and nail to get our son the services that we chose of our own free will. Basically it came down to the state wanting to keep "their" federal dollars in "their" state. I think they fail to recognize that the are "my" federal dollars and that this is my "state" not "theirs". This has been the only negative thing about our son being Deaf. I really feel that the state would have taken advantage of us if we had not first educated ourselves concerning our rights.

Then after all of this, I have to listen to members of our Deaf community tell me that I am mutilating my child's head by having the CI surgery done. Or that I am "taking his choice away" and that he will hate me when he is older. I have this in response: I am giving my child all the opportunities to make a choice for himself later. By getting the surgery and oral education at an early age I am ensuring that he will be not be restricted to any one community. When he is of age, he will have all the skills needed to function in the hearing world or the signing world. Do not cry for my child if you see "wires" coming out of his head. I am giving him the ability to defend himself in all circles. He will be afforded the best educational opportunities in both oral communication and sign if he chooses. I feel that by age 7 he will be able to tell us if he wishes to sign and if so I will not feel betrayed by his decision. I will not do to him what others have done to us. I hope that one day the deaf community will not be divided in our state and that more support will be afforded to hearing parents of Deaf children by the Deaf community.

I guess that I sound spiteful but I hope not. I have just had a crash course in child advocacy in the worst possible way. I don't know if I speak for all hearing parents of Deaf children, but I get tired of defending my choices 24/7 and tired of being called a bad parent. So tear into me if you want.

Oh dear...

This sure is tearing up my heart....I am so sorry for what you are going thru.....I understand your choice as a mother.....If you do feel that CI is the only choice for your son....I would stand by whatever choice you do make for your deaf son....and will not think anything negitive about it whatsoever.....I won't tear you apart or what you may be feeling at this moment...And I do not think or feel you are a bad parent at all....

Go for what you feel or believe is right for your own son!...Don't listen to any bad judgement of what others may have said to you or your family

Good Luck!

I'm a deaf person from a hearing family, I have three sisters, one of them is deaf , two hearing and a hearing brother....I lost my hearing at the age of 5 due from illness....I can talk , sign and read lips...I only sign to my twin sister but do talk to my family....

I'm also a single mother of 3 handsome hearing sons....they do know alittle sign language!...

Does a hearing person dating a deaf person count? Hey your in newport news, ever see my old ship, CVN65?

I was born hearing ..... lost my hearing at the age of 6 years old to mumps and menigitis fever... both my parents are hearing... I talk to my family and sign a little and when I see my deaf friends I sign more than I talk. I can also lip-read.

I have 3 hearing children and they know a few signs so they can get my attention.

Anne

Megladon,
I am in Newport News VA but I am not famliar with your ship. Do you ever go to Silent Diners at Patrick Hengry Mall?

nthompson said:
Megladon,
I am in Newport News VA but I am not famliar with your ship. Do you ever go to Silent Diners at Patrick Hengry Mall?

I'm in minnesota now, i havnt been in Va since july of 2000, and i'm guessing that the mall you talk about is in Va. Anyways, how can you not know the Enterprize!?!?

Hi Nicole,

I'm deaf and hail from a family that is all hearing. No one is sure why I'm deaf, but it is theorized that my mother's coming into contact with German Measles while she was pregnant has played a large role in my being born hearing impaired.

I have a cochlear implant in my right ear...I am still getting used to it though. Sound quality is very different now than it was with hearing aids, and there's quite a bit to get adjusted to.

I'll be more than happy to communicate with you via email (ooohsladie@aol.com) or by using AIM (maifoyish).

Malfoyish

How is the sound quality different? My hearing loss is nerve damage in the middle ear, so normal surgery was not an option. It's been years since I read about CI, but I don't recall that being an option or not. Just curious if you could describe the differences in CI and hearing aids. ;)

My family's hearing, and I'm deaf. Umm, some of my siblings knows sign language. Mom and I always talk in sign language.

I am hearing impaired, born to hearing parents. Me and my sister are the only two who have hearing loss, and my other brother and sisters are hearing just fine.. Me and my sister was born to Hereditary Deafness, part of my biological parents' messed up genes. We are the only two have hearing loss in both families.. None of the families are deaf or hearing impaired.. :ugh:

hi nicole

I am glad that when you want to learn from us and we would like to learn from yours.....

I have 32 deaf cousins familys .... I know it is very huge deaf cousins in our familys .... it is hard to explain in family history but the mostly deaf cousins in our family.... there are five generals deaf cousins...
my parents are hearings... i born deaf by the german muscle..... I am mother of two daughters.... one oldest daughter is hearing and full asl ... another baby daughter is hard of hearing and start decrease down in her both of ears.. will become full deaf.... and full asl .......

I'm not all together deaf...my hearing is decreasing.... and come from a fully heairng family.... i dont sighn i lip read.....

dont know if you want anymore variation for your study. as i live in england........ but meh im always here if someoen wants a hand

-J

Back