Intensive BSL course | Level 2 in 2 weeks!!!

AJWSmith

Reaction score
Today I've started a Level 2 course in BSL. It's an intensive two week course that meets every day (including Sat & Sun). I can't wait to get stuck in and deepen my knowledge of sign language. When I've completed this course I should be able to have a limited conversation with Deaf people at social events. I plan to start attending a Deaf church in February. Though I've been told that I need to get to Level 3 before I will be fluent in BSL.

That fab. I heard people do full 7 days per week to complete course turns out be better signers than people do full year once per week to complete course. I think maybe because less stuff being forgotten and more practice quicker and more corrections quicker before you get habit using wrong way, etc.

That fab. I heard people do full 7 days per week to complete course turns out be better signers than people do full year once per week to complete course. I think maybe because less stuff being forgotten and more practice quicker and more corrections quicker before you get habit using wrong way, etc.

I know when I did my BSL Level 1, I would start to do my homework and realise that I've forgotten how to do a sign correctly, but wasn't able to be reminded until I next went into class (I don't know any Deaf people to ask in the meantime and YouTube is very unreliable). So I knew in advance the advantage of doing a course every day is that if I've forgotten something or need clarification (some signs are very similar but have completely different meanings) I know I can ask the Deaf tutor the next morning.

The other great thing about the course I'm doing at the moment is that there are two Deaf students who are attending to get BSL qualifications so I get loads of exposure to BSL. In the Level 1 class, the only person who could sign was the tutor and I was the only deaf/HoH student. I feel like a sponge soaking up stuff continually and I love it!

That defo useful to ask tutor soon as possible on same day or next day instead of waiting full 7 days.

Those two Deaf student already know sign? Just get qualification? That defo more useful cos more Deaf people to practice and sign with.

This course is really intensive and with the homework, the days are long. After four days I'm exhausted!!! Only another 10 days to go...

The great thing is that another two Deaf students have joined the class. It's like being in a mini-Deaf club and I love the exposure to all the different ways of signing - I can see how a person's personality shapes their style of signing. We have a Deaf teacher who is a fantastic signer - very clear and helpful.

Where did you find out about this course? I'd love to know if there's any such courses held near Birmingham. I'd be very grateful for any information.

Where did you find out about this course? I'd love to know if there's any such courses held near Birmingham. I'd be very grateful for any information.

This is information about the intensive BSL Level 2 course I am currently doing. It's run by a fantastic Deaf-led company called Femaura.
BSL Level 2

Hopefully there is a similar course near Birmingham. On my course there's a student who has travelled all the way down from the north of England and is staying in London for two weeks in order to do this course. The BSL teacher has told us last year a student flew in from Jersey and stayed in a nearby hotel. The advantage of Deaf-led company is that we get an insight into Deaf culture as well as BSL.

Wirelessly posted

That's great AJW - all the best with it :)

Phew! Just finished the two week course. It was really hard work and I found it more difficult than expected. I had to practice for 4-6 hours every night as I was slow in picking the signs up and getting fluent in using them. No resting on my laurels though - Level 2 BSL is still basic stuff. I need to complete Level 3 at least to become more skilled in BSL, and my aim is Level 4 which is when a person becomes fluent (so I'm told).

Fantastic bunch of students and a great teacher.

You pass Level 2, got exams?

The course at Femaura uses a portfolio approach rather than an exam at the end of the course (bit like an NVQ). We are regularly videotaped and our progress is recorded. By the end, our signing has to meet the Level 2 standard and use the vocabulary expected. I was assessed by another BSL tutor (not the one who taught me) to have passed but an external verifier will look at the portfolio later to confirm. The examining board are ABC rather than Signature but they have the same levels of proficiency. I prefer the portfolio approach as it takes the pressure off the final day a little, but you have to consistently put in the work rather than cram it all in at the end. We also learned a wider range of vocabulary as we covered a broad range of topics in building up our portfolio.

Thanks! I assume you get cert at end proof you got level 2?

I get the certificate once ABC have sent an independent person to verify the marks of our group. When I did Level 1 this was about a month afterwards. It depends on when the external person visits the learning centre.

I wish I could take a BSL class here. Eventually I will visit the UK and I really would love to have some language knowledge und my belt. I have the alphabet down, not smoothly but it's there.

Today I've started a Level 2 course in BSL. It's an intensive two week course that meets every day (including Sat & Sun). I can't wait to get stuck in and deepen my knowledge of sign language. When I've completed this course I should be able to have a limited conversation with Deaf people at social events. I plan to start attending a Deaf church in February. Though I've been told that I need to get to Level 3 before I will be fluent in BSL.

This is what I need desperately. I have looked but can not find it. My tutor charged $75 per hour and was not very helpful. She gave us books and flash cards. I can do that myself. Where can I find such help. Local college classes are always full and have limited space. I live In central Cali. Anyone know where I can get this kind of help?

I get the certificate once ABC have sent an independent person to verify the marks of our group. When I did Level 1 this was about a month afterwards. It depends on when the external person visits the learning centre.

Right I see. That good.

I wish I could take a BSL class here. Eventually I will visit the UK and I really would love to have some language knowledge und my belt. I have the alphabet down, not smoothly but it's there.

I know ASL alphabet but at slowish speed, no WAY I can read it fast like I see on youtube videos (I can in BSL alphabet)! In BSL alphabet there more difference in letters so can tell apart more easily than ASL alphabet.

I am wondering what you think about BSL alphabet compare to ASL alphabet?

I know ASL alphabet but at slowish speed, no WAY I can read it fast like I see on youtube videos (I can in BSL alphabet)! In BSL alphabet there more difference in letters so can tell apart more easily than ASL alphabet.

I am wondering what you think about BSL alphabet compare to ASL alphabet?

I think I could say the same thing except in reverse!!! LOL! I'm pretty fast with ASL fingerspelling but BSL fingerspelling I'm like a turtle in molasses.

I think I could say the same thing except in reverse!!! LOL! I'm pretty fast with ASL fingerspelling but BSL fingerspelling I'm like a turtle in molasses.

Lol! I find that if I use ASL fingerspelling after while my hand aches cos it lot of movement for 1 hand. BSL fingerspelling more relax on my hand. Lot of interpreters here in UK know ASL fingerspelling and use it when holding stuff in other hand (drink, food, etc)! Pretty useful!

Back