I'm wishing for the following resource...

podiecat

Reaction score
Does anyone know of any books/sites/learning tools that offer a way of looking up an actual sign seen in a Deaf video or ASL conversation to discover the meaning? I know, it does seem very far-fetched. I sure could use something like that though! Maybe if there was a dictionary that grouped signs and meanings into hand shape, signing area, etc....???

I've seen handshape dictionaries around - a quick google search turns out

So it's not grouped by other parameters, but at least this might divide your work by 26, on average.

I was thinking about how with today's technology, it wouldn't be so hard to do. All these online dictionaries where you type in the word and then there's a video- to start filling out a database for each sign and put some of the parameters in: handshape, location, orientation, anything you could describe in a fairly standard way - that would be a good project. Then if someone wanted to find a sign, they could submit some of the details and a simple search would bring up any signs that fit those details. Then watch the videos for each sign to see if the one you're looking for is in there.

I'm kind of surprised no one's done this yet. (I think no one's done this yet.)

Hi Amylynne,

I just found your reply after ordering that book yesterday. I decided to go ahead and spend the money because it has a DVD that comes with it of.... 1900 signed words! This should help lots! There were several editions though. I picked the most recent one with 300+ new signs. The others are cheaper but would defeat the purpose for me.

It was so much fun signing with you. Let me know when you are up for another chat.

This is good info. I might look into getting that for my husband.

Do you know what edition yours is, Reba? I'm sure I won't find many signs I'm looking for but even with many online ASL dictionaries, if I'm lucky enough to find the word I'm looking for it is signed very different from how my Deaf tutor signs it. It get's so confusing! Hopefully the signs are more updated than most of the other resources online and hardcopy.

The new version has many more signs, videos, info and more modern signs. I get mine today. Between that and the RIT online dictionary and videos, I hope to finally have more clarity.

The new version has many more signs, videos, info and more modern signs. I get mine today. Between that and the RIT online dictionary and videos, I hope to finally have more clarity.
What edition? How many more signs?

Book Description
Publication Date: July 31, 2010 | ISBN-10: 1563684446 | ISBN-13: 978-1563684449 | Edition: 2nd Edition, w/DVD
Featuring

More than 1,900 Sign Illustrations Including 327 New Signs
Plus DVD Showing How to Form Signs
Arranged by Handshape for Easy Identification
Complete Index of English Vocabulary for All Signs
An Introduction to Deaf Culture and ASL Structure
The first reference source that allows users to access ASL signs without previous knowledge of their English equivalents (far superior to those in most other English-ASL glossaries). Likely to become indispensable on many educators’ and students’ bookshelves.—CHOICE

Now, the bestselling resource The American Sign Language Handshape Dictionary has been completely revised with more than 320 new signs and a new DVD. This unique reference can help users locate a sign whose meaning they have forgotten, or help them find the meaning of a new sign they have just seen for the first time. It organizes more than 1,900 ASL signs by 40 basic handshapes and includes detailed descriptions on how to form these signs to represent the different English words that they might mean. ASL students can begin to track down a sign by determing whether it is formed with one hand or two. Further distinctions of handshape, palm orientation, location, movement, and other nonmanual body signals help them pinpoint their search while also refining their grasp of ASL syntax and grammar. A complete English word index provides the option of referring to an alphabetical listing of English terms to locate an equivalent sign or choice of signs.

The new DVD shows how each sign is formed from beginning to end. Users can watch a sign at various speeds to learn precisely how to master it themselves. Together, the new edition of The American Sign Language Handshape Dictionary and its accompanying DVD presents students, sign language teachers, and deaf and hearing people alike with the perfect combination for enhancing communication skills in both ASL and English.

I've seen handshape dictionaries around - a quick google search turns out

The American Sign Language Handshape Dictionary: Richard A. Tennant, Marianne Gluszak Brown, Valerie Nelson-Metlay: 9781563684449: Amazon.com: Books

So it's not grouped by other parameters, but at least this might divide your work by 26, on average.

I was thinking about how with today's technology, it wouldn't be so hard to do. All these online dictionaries where you type in the word and then there's a video- to start filling out a database for each sign and put some of the parameters in: handshape, location, orientation, anything you could describe in a fairly standard way - that would be a good project. Then if someone wanted to find a sign, they could submit some of the details and a simple search would bring up any signs that fit those details. Then watch the videos for each sign to see if the one you're looking for is in there.

I'm kind of surprised no one's done this yet. (I think no one's done this yet.)
I've realized lately that this dictionary is too small. I've been trying to look up some signs that were not in this dictionary, yet then I asked people and they were the correct signs and I was looking up the correct dominant-hand handshape. I can't find any more extensive handshape dictionaries than this one, so I have no clue what to do when I come across a sign and it's not in there. I have trouble inferring meanings from the context, so I get completely confused as to the meaning even if one or two signs in a story are unknown to me.

Back