If you are a Superintendent of

e

Reaction score
a school for the deaf. What change would you want to make in their education system?

First of all, I'd like to investigate all of teachers, to make sure they're doing their job to teach everyday. (If two or more students absent in their class, the teacher will not allowed to skip some of works and wait til the next day-vice versa- when the teacher is absent, the subsitute will be required to continue the teacher's works for class) Secondly, I'd make the teachers to promote the education and continue teaching the kids. Thirdly, SEPARATE the low-functional children from regular classes. Install a new program for low-function children, be extra-strict to them. Hopefully, that would help to change their behaviors, too. Set up some after school activities such as clubs. I noticed some teachers just let the students in the club without making their own decision. Lastly, I want time-limited on tests. Perhaps, 30 minutes extra, but no more than that. These students do have potential of learning quickly and should not take advantage of extra times and helps from teachers.
Edit: Provide the students SAT and ACT exams. Courage them to check into every colleges they want to besides Gallaudet and NTID.
There are so many to make a list. I want the school for the deaf to change and follow every what public schools did. I don't care if I sounded like being too much here. I've been to a school for the deaf during my junior year and from what I saw everything was terrible.

Last edited:
1st thing I would do would be to find a way to pay the teachers more so I could be picky about who taught at the school.

First thing I'd do would be to ensure that EVERY single employee is fluent in both ASL and English and is trained well. My campus would also be culturally sensative. I'd raise saleries so that the teachers who'd go to oral schools or into private practice would come to my school instead. If I was the super of a res school then I'd make sure that all the houseparents were OK and put them through extensive background checks. I'd restrict the res program to mostly 4th graders and older, as I don't think little kids should be seperated from their parents.(I would make an exception if the child was a foster kid or homeless or lived in an extreme rural area. Actually if the kid lived in an extreme rural area then I'd see if maybe one of the parents would want to become a houseparent or another employee of the school, so they could live at the school and see their kid during the school year)
I'd invest and buy lots of the latest ALD and things like that.
I'd turn the school into a local deaf community center.
I'd also open up afterschool programs to any deaf or Hoh mainstreamed child in the region, and also have summer camps for the mainstreamed and oral deaf kids to come to the deaf school and learn deaf culture and ASL.

I would like to provide students extensive education which they will recieve. Also, I encourage the students to get a better quality (equal) education and get taught in ASL and make sure they will not get behind on educational level. Also, I will screen every teachers' resumes and observe their teaching styles and skills. Also, I prefer teachers to show their cultural/diversity sensitives toward the students as well as respect students.

I don't want to see the students fall behind the grade levels, you know. I prefer them to get equal education as hearing students, but in ASL.

Originally posted by Oddball
I would like to provide students extensive education which they will recieve. Also, I encourage the students to get a better quality (equal) education and get taught in ASL and make sure they will not get behind on educational level. Also, I will screen every teachers' resumes and observe their teaching styles and skills. Also, I prefer teachers to show their cultural/diversity sensitives toward the students as well as respect students.

I don't want to see the students fall behind the grade levels, you know. I prefer them to get equal education as hearing students, but in ASL.
I agree with oddball

I would also watch the teacher and kids with thier behavior modifcations and see how they interact with other children and also inculde many of the kids chances of better education and stay on top of the todays historical news and world changing to give kids chance to understand how we live in today s soicety and give them a taste of freedom and how they can decide how thier education can prevail with today s society.

Probably make a cell around for naughty childrens nahh just jokin ya... i would make sure i get a fully qualifed deaf tutors on different based of education provides and make sure childrens have tutorial if unable to understand, that all i can think of!

For deaf institutions, I would push for higher standard of learning and education, considering some schools are low in educational standards.

If I was a Superrintendent of my school for the Deaf. I am sure will investigate of dorm counsellors, cuz it tooooooo much number of counsellor employers. I can dare to less number to equal of children who live in dorm, Teahcers are fine. I can ask Gov't to add swimming pool in the school for the deaf. I will fired school counsellor cuz he is not good fit in Newfoundland School for the Deaf. would love to hire a teacher to know about Deaf Culture cuz This Gov't won't support to provide deaf history. I can do dare to fight to win for that. that's all I thinking about it.

way to go Teddy if u were a superintendent for a deaf school the future kids will be happy that strict rules will not apply ;)

If u go to another post where it says Princpal of school, you will see my answer- same will apply here as an supderintendent.

Back