I like to know your opinion

lilylover72

I love purple!
Premium Member
Reaction score
which handicap or deaf that anyone label you?

I know many deaf people dont like "dumb deaf". I prefer anyone label me deaf.

I would feel offend if they label me handicap. That is my opinion.

most deaf also don't like to be called "hearing impaired".
I don't mind on any label because I don't care since I understood these. :)

As far as I know, nobody has labelled me.

I can understand why most deaf people do not like being labelled as "hearing impaired", because if a person can hear and communicate, whether they are HA or CI users, then they are certainly not hearing impaired in my view. I am also sure people who wear glasses are not labelled as, "vision impaired" unless they are at least legally blind.

People who label deaf people as, "dumb deaf", are likely dumb anyway.

I prefer not to be labeled but if I have to, then I would want it to be deaf. Deaf or deaf..doesnt matter.

I hate the term hearing impaired..just sounds so wrong and a little degrading.

Deaf or deaf should be fine.

Not label them as "hearing impaired", "handchipped", "dumb and deaf", etc etc. Because they would feel they are treated like a child or phoney person.

I just hate it. I'd rather to be label "Deaf" or "deaf". :)

I'm just a normal person, execpt that I can not hear. Haven't been labelled.

I've seen some would say "hearing impaired" to describe me, I don't mind those words, as long I don't be calling "handicapped" or "deaf and dumb" They can' t call me "deaf and mute" cuz I can speak. :nana:

Ive been labelled deaf and dumb, dumb, hearing impaired, and partially hearing impaired.

out of alll of these, I prefer deaf or hard of hearing.

when I think of hearing impaired I sort of imagine myself running around the yard flailing my arms like a goose like I can fully hear but otherwise impaired, lol.

Maybe one of these days the rest of the world will listen and finally get it that we prefer the deaf label in general as it is the least offensive to us as a whole. Although there will be some nitpicks that will want a specific term each of us.

I noticed on the DeafSpot which is a news forum still calling "Deaf and Dumb" and also "Hearing Impaired". Both of them are just as bad and degrading and they are still doing in the year of 2008. They have not remove the labels. For me, I prefer "Deaf" or "deaf" like Shel90 indicated. I don't want to be handicapped as I am able to move and walk plus having a good brain on my head. :giggle:

I prefer Deaf, with a captial D. I've been labeled as many things - handicapped, disabled, hearing impaired, speech impaired, deaf and dumb, retard, etc.

I don't care what people call me. All I care about is what I call myself ;).

Thank you everyone for respond. I never know that many deaf people dont like "hearing impaired." Many people dont understand how we feel. Sigh

Thank you everyone for respond. I never know that many deaf people dont like "hearing impaired." Many people dont understand how we feel. Sigh

I remember my interpreter told the school staffs not to write "hearing impaired" to describe me because deaf people don't like to be called that name terms, and I told the interpreter it's okay I don't mind, but the interpreter says, the school staffs should ask you first what you would be like to called instead of writing it down first. I was like wow that interpreter sure cares. :)

As a hearie I would label the deaf folks as Brave, and Highly Intelligent. I love you guys!!

not me, just "deaf"

People who are Deaf with capital D are too judgmental. No offended. :)

lol I am surprised that you don't know what Deaf mean, Deaf mean the cultural of the Deafness! While the deaf are the short scienific word for hearing impaired.

PROUDLY DEAF! ;)

Back