I have a question for you guys...

MilitaryGirl83

Reaction score
Since I am pregnant and expecting a baby boy in 6 weeks left..my husband Jeremy & I will communicate with him by oral and sign language. His hearing test will be done after he's born. He may be most likely would not be deaf. But I do want to know..even though he'll know signs but do we need to take him to speech therphy when he gets a little bit older or is it enough because Jeremy & the rest of our families r hearing that can help him with words and etc. ? Suggestions and advices are welcomed!!! Thank You!

I think it would be wonderful for you to teach your child to sign as he learns to speak. :)

Not too many kids in pre-school can do that and he'll certainly impress many people! In any event, he would be learning and there's no limits on how much a child can learn. :)

So go for it, Sarah. :) It might be fun for you all!

Malfoyish

Well, i have raised my son almost 2 years... now he's 23 months old.

I Suggust that you and jeremy teach him sign language as primary communication method.

Many deaf parents around that i hang out with.. they Talk to their children by voice.. not sign.. this makes me wonder why? I believe that Sign to ur kid will give best chance for him to learn the voc.
As for oral to ur kid.. Be aware of this.. and be careful since many deaf parents do that to their children and it developes delay in their speech process and may require speech therpy.
Let your family, child care provider, pre school teach him how to speak.. that's my option :D

what i do with my son.. I do talk to him outloud "No" "sean" few other words..
But i signed to him as much as i can.. that way its best..
I let my Parents, family, Childcare provider, hearing friends talk to him.. that way he learns how to speak it right.

My husband is hearing and I am deaf (I grew up using oral), and we have a 23 months old son Kyler was born and his hearing test just passed.
Kyler is almost 2 and he uses both.
We been teaching Kyler to talk both in sign and oral, that way he will know how to communicate with other kids and adults too. Babies sign and it makes the parents easier to understand what the baby want or need. Kyler's first sign was "milk" and he knows more than 15 signs words, like "No", Yes, Mom, Dad, Work, Stinky, Eat, Puppy, Bye-bye, Bed, Please, Thank You, Hungry, and Play". He is learning ABC in sign. He only know ABC to F. It takes a while for him to learn. But he talks all the time. He always babbling all the time, like he hear something, he would say TRUCK! TRUCK! CAR! CAR! and he sign along with The Wiggles, Sesame Street, other musical video and on tv.

I think that better to able communicate with future hearing childern. I can't see myself until I feel it is coming.

In my option and what I have learn.

I met the Deaf parents threat the childern in different direction. For example; I see that mom told the childern. "Go.. Go.. you are nosey.. do you like me to join your friend and embrasses you front of your friend?" I was like whoa. :roll:

I believe sign can be primary at home and voice is primary at public because I don't want my child have go to speech due delay education and don't want my child to be slow learner. I could let my child play with the computer program called "LEAP FROG" it search the word to be teach the word outloud from computer speaker. I think that could be help.

Also, I heard the computer is seem improving for Deaf parent who has hearing child. So the computer can teach the child property and the computer will listen if the child speak right. So the computer will reward to play the game. It kind of those thing for prize. It might be weird for us but it will be exciting for children. Children are always easy to be exciting than we are not exciting go to work. heh.

It would be a good idea to teach sign language. Physical movement is developed before speech. If you can teach him sign language, he'll be able to develop his language skills faster when it comes time to talk.

Hey, this is really nice! I haven't been here for awhile and didn't know you got the parent thread started! I'm a hearing mom with a deaf son, but I have friends who are deaf parents with hearing kids, and the kids are fine. It's wonderful, really, they're exposed to ASL from the beginning, I wish I had been fluent in ASL when my deaf son was a baby. I guess what I would suggest is when your child is 2-3 years old, ask your local school district to assess his/her speech/language. That way you'll have an idea if they need some help. I do have one friend who got some help for her daughter because she was concerned abt her english language development, as they use ASL at home. But the girl is wonderful, fluent in both languages. I'm actually envious, cos it's been hard for me to learn ASL as an adult.

peacetrain said:
Hey, this is really nice! I haven't been here for awhile and didn't know you got the parent thread started! I'm a hearing mom with a deaf son, but I have friends who are deaf parents with hearing kids, and the kids are fine. It's wonderful, really, they're exposed to ASL from the beginning, I wish I had been fluent in ASL when my deaf son was a baby. I guess what I would suggest is when your child is 2-3 years old, ask your local school district to assess his/her speech/language. That way you'll have an idea if they need some help. I do have one friend who got some help for her daughter because she was concerned abt her english language development, as they use ASL at home. But the girl is wonderful, fluent in both languages. I'm actually envious, cos it's been hard for me to learn ASL as an adult.

peacetrain, you are not alone! Although I am fluent in ASL, I have to learn NSL as well... Norwegian sign language since I moved to Norway a few years ago when I married a Norwegian. It is a bit hard starting all over again with a new sign language as an adult... *groans* lmao but you and I will be OK! Way to learn for your child! He will appreciate it very much - my parents were hearing, and I really appreciated that my mom took the time to learn SEE for me. Now she's learning ASL. My dad didn't bother learning signs when I was little - that was a bit sad for me, but now he knows ASL :thumb: I agree that language is important, and it's the parent's right to get a child to master a language or two of the country they are resident of.

Imagine what I want to teach my kids... ASL, NSL, English, Bokmal Norwegian and New Norwegian! They will also have to learn German while they are going to school here.

WildKaTReSS said:
Since I am pregnant and expecting a baby boy in 6 weeks left..my husband Jeremy & I will communicate with him by oral and sign language. His hearing test will be done after he's born. He may be most likely would not be deaf. But I do want to know..even though he'll know signs but do we need to take him to speech therphy when he gets a little bit older or is it enough because Jeremy & the rest of our families r hearing that can help him with words and etc. ? Suggestions and advices are welcomed!!! Thank You!

I would not worry about that because my two sons were learning ASL as their first language. They picked up speaking from the Seasme Street on T.V., social with other kids, went to Early Development Center two times a week to do their speech therphy. They pick up speech very quickly when they become two.

My advise you to turn your voice off while you sign to your children because they can learn ASL really quickly because my sons were confused two languages because I signed with my voice to them. I did rather not use my voice at first place. I should have listen to Marie Philip at first place.

Sarah, Do whatever is best for ur Child..

If your Baby is deaf then you could teach him or her sign language....

and when he is a Child You could take him to speech Classes Or you could do it on ur own with ur husband's help. :thumb:

First of all, congrats on your first baby on the way soon. ;)

My dh and I both are deaf. Our two hearing kids (almost 3 years old daughter) and (9 months old son) We are using ASL to communicate with our kids. Our kids have been around such as they go to the daycare or spend their times with their grandparents. My daughter was taught first language was ASL then evenually she has been picking up how to speak. ASL first language is the best thing to happen wtih hearing kids anyway. It is much easier for them to understand ASL then speak better based on the statistic reports. I am sorry I dont have any inforamtion but there are several links on the internet. I assure you that your kid will pick up how to speak if you do hang out a lot with your hearing other family.

You can always contact with Early Intervention Program and have them evaluation your kid to see if he is in process of speaking well. if he has speaking problem then he will be sent to a speech therapy for free since you both are deaf.

I guess I said it almost all. ENJOY YOUR MOTHERHOOD VERY SOON!

Cute thread... It sound that you are concern about your unbaby in the future... Great... :thumb:

Nothing change if your children are hearing... Stay what you are... Do anything like what/how you do with communicate with others.. Treat your children the same.
I´m mother of 2 boys... I never taught my sons how to use DGS (German sign languages). They learn from their parents automaic... Well, I use DGS to my sons since they were babies. Their first sign languages "Mama", "Papa", "drink", "eat" when they (1st son - 9 months old & 2nd son - 10 months old). I did put the date when is their first sign language... :thumb:
It´s lovely feeling when you see your children´s first sign languages.
The Youth Welfare support us with the costs to send my sons to childminder to learn speech development (3 hours a day for 3 years since they were 1 years old then go to Nursery (Kindergarten).
My 1st son´s speech development is real fast than 2nd son... My 1st son is very forward person than 2nd one but they goes good..
They are familiar with deaf & hearing cultures. I am admitted that I´m proud to tell you that they use DGS like they are deaf... Excuse me for open like this... It´s mother proud...
Well, I would advise you to join CODA (children of deaf adults) to learn the experience there...

I visited CODA last month... They said that you don´t have to change & learn how to speak etc because your children are hearing... Stay what you are... The children would learn from you automaic...
You don´t have to force your children to learn ASL, just leave them what they are... :thumb:

BEST OF GOOD LUCK DOING YOUR NEW PARENTHOOD IN THE FUTURE.... Keep the post with the news...

I'm sure that whatever school he goes to, they will offer speech therapy. When I was in elementary school, I would visit my speech teacher every couple weeks to work on my speech. She would show us flash cards and we would learn how to pronounce specific words properly. I did this until I was 14 and she felt that I no longer needed it. However, talking and showing him how to say various things whole he grows up will be a great help.

My children are learned first lanaguages ASL.. picked up voice by Day care and Kids' T.V. shows. Everything so far, seems went well...
My last son is still ongoing learning more picking up ASL...
Espically My Eldest son is very sloppy ASL.. needs improve his sign.. ((chuckles)) btw he still cute anyway.. I can tell he is very shy sign front of his friends when he talks to me or his Dad. My daughter is very much improved and doesn't care front of her friends while chatt'n with me or her Dad too.

Wild, Don't worry.. You will be fine for your future child and will learn both languages English/ASL. Your baby will learned it lot and will improved..

LIZA - Very cool! What is NSL like? 2 handed or 1 handed alphabet?

Last edited:
CrazyRedHeadWV said:
My husband is hearing and I am deaf (I grew up using oral), and we have a 23 months old son Kyler was born and his hearing test just passed.
Kyler is almost 2 and he uses both.
We been teaching Kyler to talk both in sign and oral, that way he will know how to communicate with other kids and adults too. Babies sign and it makes the parents easier to understand what the baby want or need. Kyler's first sign was "milk" and he knows more than 15 signs words, like "No", Yes, Mom, Dad, Work, Stinky, Eat, Puppy, Bye-bye, Bed, Please, Thank You, Hungry, and Play". He is learning ABC in sign. He only know ABC to F. It takes a while for him to learn. But he talks all the time. He always babbling all the time, like he hear something, he would say TRUCK! TRUCK! CAR! CAR! and he sign along with The Wiggles, Sesame Street, other musical video and on tv.

I was surprised to see you mention 'The Wiggles' as it's an Australian tv children show and it's HUGE here in Australia...same goes for Hi 5 as well. It's another Australian show -- it's great to see that those 2 shows are having a good impact on US's children. :)

BTW...as for teaching children to learn ASL when at a very young age -- I believe it's a great thing to happen. It'll make communication much easier for the child and parents to understand what's happening. Child will be less frustrated and be able to get what he/she needed at the time.

VamPyroX said:
I'm sure that whatever school he goes to, they will offer speech therapy. When I was in elementary school, I would visit my speech teacher every couple weeks to work on my speech. She would show us flash cards and we would learn how to pronounce specific words properly. I did this until I was 14 and she felt that I no longer needed it. However, talking and showing him how to say various things whole he grows up will be a great help.

Yeah...I had speech therapy from age 4 til I was about 15 before it was stopped because I was doing very well by then. :)

It's been 18 years since I had my last speech/auditory therapy sessioin! :D So far, I reckon I'm doing alright in keeping up with my speech skills. ;) Really helpful for when I'm in the general hearing community.

Cheers

It's good that you want to teach your child ASL, no matter deaf or hearing... babies tend to communicate easily with parents if he/she has the ability to sign - babies who do not know how to communicate with the parents go through the terrible two's!!

I started signing at 6 months old, using Australian Signed English... and started speech therapy at 2 years of age - Queensland Government forced my parents to send me to speech therapy or they would not pay for my hearing aids and educational facilties. Bastards!!

I later learnt Auslan at 9... slowly picking it up till I became fluent in Auslan at 14, dropping Signed English...

I am now fluent in Auslan and I rarely ever use Signed English. I also use my oral skills when necessary.

WaterRats13 said:
I was surprised to see you mention 'The Wiggles' as it's an Australian tv children show and it's HUGE here in Australia...same goes for Hi 5 as well. It's another Australian show -- it's great to see that those 2 shows are having a good impact on US's children. :)

BTW...as for teaching children to learn ASL when at a very young age -- I believe it's a great thing to happen. It'll make communication much easier for the child and parents to understand what's happening. Child will be less frustrated and be able to get what he/she needed at the time.

Yeah Wiggles are popular here too. Jana is not keen on it. Oh boy..

I agree with you that babies to learn how to sign at early age will more likely less frustrated and be able to communciate with parents very easily. ;)

My boys knows ASL and English. They sign with me and my husband, and speak AND sign with our family members (the ones who do not know ASL). Just this morning, my oldest son was having a nice conversation with Grandma, and he signed a little to get me involved. That's something. :thumb: I speak with my boys often, because I feel comfortable talking to them. I sign with them too without using my voice. My parents, brothers, sisters, etc. do not sign much with us because I was trained to speak and read lips so I fairly understand them. Same with my boys. :thumb:

I suggest you, Wilk, not to worry too much about your baby's speaking skills, since your baby will be going out into the hearing world, like childcare, school, playground, etc. Your baby will pick up these sounds from everywhere quickly. :) Just teach your child your language as much as you can and your child will pick that up as quickly as your child picks up sounds. :thumb: That's what happened with my boys.

Back